Atkins Caramel Nut Crunch Bar

Options
sbtripp
sbtripp Posts: 44 Member
edited April 2017 in Social Groups
It said 3 carbs. When I logged it, it was 17. However, I did subtract the fiber and sugar alcohols and came up with 3. Then someone mentioned that you cannot subtract all the sugar alcohols. Can anyone help with this? I think I screwed up. Still losing though.

Replies

• JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    If it comes in a box, can or sealed package I avoid it. This is a processed food manufacturered and marketed.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Sugar alcohols are not completely absorbed/metabolized. Different people have different responses to them and the degree of absorption is a common debate. If your goal is weight loss and they don't cause weight gain, cravings, a disruptive digestive tract and help keep you focused on your goal and compliant with your chosen way of eating...they're ok. Sugar alcohols are a bit disruptive in my lower digestive tract. I learned this initially with chewing gum with sorbitol or xylitol or one of those "itol" ingredients. Oops!

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Some people have issues with sugar alcohols affecting blood sugar levels. Some people have no issue with them. I always subtract them and lose regardless so it all depends on you. Be careful with too many though they send you running to the bathroom.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    Yes. It depends on the sweetener in question.
    Check the product's sugar alcohol content. Subtract only half the grams of sugar alcohols from the total carbohydrates and count them (most of the sugar alcohols -sorbitol, maltitol, and the other -ols apply as these actually are partially digested and cause a blood sugar and insulin response). Erythritol, however, has been widely shown to be completely unprocessed, so you can subtract all of it.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    Yes. It depends on the sweetener in question.
    Check the product's sugar alcohol content. Subtract only half the grams of sugar alcohols from the total carbohydrates and count them (most of the sugar alcohols -sorbitol, maltitol, and the other -ols apply as these actually are partially digested and cause a blood sugar and insulin response). Erythritol, however, has been widely shown to be completely unprocessed, so you can subtract all of it.

Ok. So I looked up the ingredients. It uses maltitol syrup. So the sugar alcohol reads 9 on the label. Half that, and count those as carbs. That's my rec. You can go ahead and subtract the rest of them and the fiber. JMO.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    From KeitoDietapp.com "Other types of sugar alcohols are Sorbitol, Maltitol, Lactitol, etc. Almost all of these affect blood sugar levels. Be careful with any "low-carb" or "zero-carb" products. All these commonly use Maltitol that affects blood sugar but is omitted from the net carbs count. It's a good marketing strategy, so don't be fooled! "
  • hmikkola92
    hmikkola92 Posts: 169 Member
    Options
    I'm avoiding these, I had a box from someone for Easter. They ended up causing a 5lb gain :'( it was quickly gone again but I'd rather not hinder any progress.