individual heart rate (normal- vs high-pulser)

Options
Freischuetz
Freischuetz Posts: 147 Member
edited April 2017 in Social Groups
i got plenty of questions on this case, so i decided to open a discussion

first of all, everything i bring up here you will be able to repeat at full health! if you are not at full health, it might give you an insight and a better understanding.

#1 there are two types of heartrate people have: its called "normal-pulser" (or low-pulser) and "high-pulser"

where is the difference?: as a high-pulser, you benefit from a wider range to stay in your zone during workout. (i am aware, there might be more behind, but i never did a reseach on it)

is there a difference in strength/power?: no

how do i know, what type i am:? every person have his own maximal puls. by optimized workouts you will be able to push him up - so you will get a "new" max puls. but anyway, by getting older your max puls will go down. during workout, you feel comfortable around 140 BPM - you are a normal-pulser. if you are somewhere around 160 BPM or even more, you are pretty sure a high-pulser.

#2 resting heart reate

does high-pulser have a higher resting heart rate?: well... yes, if you are not aware that you are one (but not really significant), and no if you doing workouts. the resting heart rate corresponds directly with your fitness level. the more you work on your fitness level, the lower your resting heart rate will be.

what does the resting heart rate tell me?: you may write it down for a longer period (usually by measuring blood pressure too), you will get a feeling where it should be. once you get 8-10% higher as usual, without any unusual (physical or psychical) stress a day before, you might get ill soon (flu or similar).

#3 maximal puls

how do i find out my max puls:? secure but maybe not that cheap - at some sports medicine. by your own, using the conconi-test (some say, the conconi is inaccurate, well it worked for me and many others). at both tests, you will also find out your exact pulse, when your body switch from aerob to aneorob, also called the lactate threshold.

and one more, pretty easy and save also, but not that accurate: jump on a treadmill or a ergometer, start easy to warm up, than with around 100 BPM (normal-pulser) or 130 BPM (high-pulser), and add every 3-4 minutes 5 to 6 BPM. when you start to breath more AND you stop to speak fluently - you already passed your lactate threshold.

why do i need this knowledge:? by knowing your lactate threshold, you will know in what range you should do your workouts.

#4 workouts

in what range should i do my workouts:? this question is not easy to answer, because there are more than one workouts... depending on everones favourite, there are good books around.

about myself: i am from austria, born 1974. with 25 years, i started MTB-marathons. while i did not had the knowledge about normal- and high-pulser, i wasted almost 2 years. by 27, i did my first conconi-test, changed my nutrition to paleo, and from 28 until 35 i completed more than 35 competitions, almost all of them in top 20 ranking.

it might sound strange, but my training was focused only on my heart rate!

i can highly recommend:

Books from Joe Friel:

The Cyclist's Training Bible (a fantastic book, that really works! there is no rule in, where you open page 27 and it's written "do this, than you will be good". you will get a deep understanding, what your body causes to slowing down - and by solving this you will get better step by step.)

Total Heart Rate Training

The Paleo Diet for Athletes (in my opinion, not only usefull for athletes. again you will get a deep understanding how and why paleo works.)

Conconi-Test (i only found in german language):
http://www.conconi.ch/

normal- vs high-pulser
until now, i did not find any link in english, only in german (we call it "hochpulser"). Joe Friel gave some insight in his book, as far as i can remember - this is pretty ordinary for him!

https://diagnostikzentrum.wordpress.com/2016/01/21/hochpulser/

edit: typo

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @baconslave for Launchpad
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Darnit! The only German I know comes from banking. I used to get all the foreign customers when I worked at the bank.
    Sounds very interesting.