Question for the Thyroid Experts Out There

Options

Replies

• swezeytba
    swezeytba Posts: 624 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    @swezeytba - If I had to guess, they probably think it was a testing error but for some reason that didn't translate. If you don't feel awful and are running fairly steady, I would wait to be retested, but no more than 4-6 weeks. If you feel bad, I would request a retest sooner, and ask if there were any lab errors possible. When they retest, I would tell them that if you're still getting crazy results, you want the X, Y, Z, and etc. tests run immediately. To me, that big of a shift is concerning, but I know you've changed pretty much everything you eat/do, so it's possible that the chaos is just showing up in that number.

You might try emailing/posting a thyroid person, like Izabella Wentz or Maria Emmerich, or even a functional person online like Dr. Hyman or Dr. Chris Masterjohn, PhD, etc. just to see if those numbers, without only the change to keto, would make a result like that less concerning. None of them will give specific medical advice, but they might be able to tell you that they would either retest immediately or be comfortable waiting for a retest, etc. Some of them even do online consultations (for a fee), if that's a path you're interested in.

Thanks for the advice!
  • Zuzurillo
    Zuzurillo Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear of your problems. I personally would not take "not extremely concerned" as the final answer if it is something that you are worried about. Look for another MD. Or, If you have the money to do so, you could have additional tests done at lab. You do not need a doctor's prescription to have lab work done - but you would have to pay for it out of pocket. LifeExstension is a website that you can order them through if a lab is near you. Or, again it will cost you out of pocket, find a Natropathic doctor. I had issues that my regular doctor " wasn't extremely concerned about" and just wasn't interested in getting to the bottom of. I bit the bullet and went to a Natropath and she really helped me. In fact, after "Googling" all of my results/info from the Natropath I couldn't believe that my regular MD didn't connect the dots. Turns out I was anemic, extremely low in B12 & Folate, and low in D. I am being treated by the Natropath who also suggested getting onto a Ketogenic diet. I feel a million times better in just two weeks. Just thought I'd share. You just need to find the right person to help you. Best Wishes -
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @Zuzurillo, congrats on your breakup and re-engagement!

BTW, the anemia you describe can contribute to false A1c results (if that was among the handful of tests your ex was willing to order).
  • Zuzurillo
    edited May 2017
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

BTW, the anemia you describe can contribute to false A1c results (if that was among the handful of tests your ex was willing to order).

Thanks so much for commenting on this. Would you mind giving me your further thoughts? My A1c was 5.0 so considered ok. But, my fasting BG is 101 and my HOMA-IR ( testing for insulin resistance) was borderline at 2.7. as My C-Reative Protein levels were also borderline at 2.8 . I'm not sure what to make of it all. I have been a devout "low carber" my whole adult life because diabetes runs in my family. But, gained 25lbs anyway this year. Switched to keto ( with a 100% understanding of the protocol) over a month ago. I have lost 1lb ( one!) as of this morning. Do you think some of my "in the upper levels but not High Risk yet" results could be the cause? I'm super frustrated. I feel better but can't seem to drop any of the weight. Since I really do understand the low carb and keto process, yes, I am following a weight loss protocol with a deficit and correct macros etc... Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have been all over the internet trying to find out what to do next. I've kind of given up on trying to budge my weight. P.S. - For all of my jokes about my beloved martinis, no, I have not been cheating at all - even with a cocktail. But I'm about ready for one .... LOL
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Thinking....... :*
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    @Zuzurillo what was your TSH level? I don't see it above.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Zuzurillo wrote: »

Thanks so much for commenting on this. Would you mind giving me your further thoughts? My A1c was 5.0 so considered ok. But, my fasting BG is 101 and my HOMA-IR ( testing for insulin resistance) was borderline at 2.7. as My C-Reative Protein levels were also borderline at 2.8 . I'm not sure what to make of it all. I have been a devout "low carber" my whole adult life because diabetes runs in my family. But, gained 25lbs anyway this year. Switched to keto ( with a 100% understanding of the protocol) over a month ago. I have lost 1lb ( one!) as of this morning. Do you think some of my "in the upper levels but not High Risk yet" results could be the cause? I'm super frustrated. I feel better but can't seem to drop any of the weight. Since I really do understand the low carb and keto process, yes, I am following a weight loss protocol with a deficit and correct macros etc... Any thoughts would be appreciated. I have been all over the internet trying to find out what to do next. I've kind of given up on trying to budge my weight. P.S. - For all of my jokes about my beloved martinis, no, I have not been cheating at all - even with a cocktail. But I'm about ready for one .... LOL

Sorry if I missed it but do you mind stating your age? Cause after 45 I noticed a real slow down in weight loss tho my diet didn't change (or actually improved). I think hashi's really messes with metabolism. In my case anyway.

Sorry that wasn't real helpful. I'll add some encouragement. One month isn't a real long time (tho it may seem it). I'd say stay the course, find what works for you and just keep plugging away. As long as you're not gaining, even a pound a month is a win in my book. I've slowed from 5-6 pounds a month to around 1-2. But at least I'm not gaining and I can live with my diet (I eat around 40 net carbs). 20, or even 10 might speed things up but I also know myself and it's unsustainable at that level for me.
  • Zuzurillo
    Options
    Zuzurillo wrote: »

Sorry if I missed it but do you mind stating your age? Cause after 45 I noticed a real slow down in weight loss tho my diet didn't change (or actually improved). I think hashi's really messes with metabolism. In my case anyway.

Sorry that wasn't real helpful. I'll add some encouragement. One month isn't a real long time (tho it may seem it). I'd say stay the course, find what works for you and just keep plugging away. As long as you're not gaining, even a pound a month is a win in my book. I've slowed from 5-6 pounds a month to around 1-2. But at least I'm not gaining and I can live with my diet (I eat around 40 net carbs). 20, or even 10 might speed things up but I also know myself and it's unsustainable at that level for me.

Thank you. I'm 55 and I'm sure that has something to do with it :) Had my thyroid checked ( all the tests) etc.. All came back ok. For the month thus far I've eaten an average of 14 net carbs a day. Lately, I have been trying to keep it below 10. I lost 2lbs this AM but I would bet my house that I will have gained it back tomorrow. It's been like that the whole time. I'm committed because I have a lot more energy than I did a month ago. I wonder if I have screwed up my metabolism by being so low carb for so long. Is that possible? Before this, I ate about 30 carbs a day, never really over 50 - except once in a while ( vacation, Christmas dinner, a celebration where I might have a treat or some pasta) - but never like a whole day of eating carbs. I'd also easily eat around 2,500 - 3,000 calories and not gain weight on my 5'3" frame until about 6 months ago. Now I'm down to around 1300 cals and it's brutal ( and not losing!) I'm sticking it out and trying to not feel paranoid that something is really "wrong" LOL. Thank you for your thoughts.
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Being low carb for years is fine. Being Keto for years is fine too.
    Do you track your food? Some people end up accidentally eating more than they think they are and tracking it for a few days let's them see it.
    Are you at a healthy weight for your body frame or close to it? You won't loss much each month if you are.
    Have you put you numbers/data into a Keto calculator like this one? https://keto-calculator.ankerl.com
    If none of those are fixes... what about a fat fast?
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    I agree with all @food_lover16 said. Seems like you would have the commitment to do a fat fast too. Eat one oz of cream cheese five times a day - I think Atkins said no longer than two days. I've heard it jump starts weight loss. If you're up to it. My body just says, "no way". ;)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Wow! If you ate 2500-3000 calories a day as a 50 something year old and didn't gain weight on that amount of calories until 6 months ago, I am highly impressed. Lordy, I'd love to be able to eat that much and not gain. I'm 63 and maintain my goal weight in my sedentary life on about 1500 calories. Were you extremely active and has that activity level dramatically decreased for some reason?

When did you gain this 20 pounds you mention (in your profile) wanting to lose? Where did you track before or is it a glitch in MFP which indicates your 1st visit was April 29. I've used other trackers too periodically. Atkins and My Net Diary. I prefer MFP.

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say perhaps you're not tracking accurately or you have something seriously wrong. If your calories were truly 2500-3000 and you didn't gain until 6 months ago and now can't lose on 1300...something is wrong that a fat fast isn't going to correct.

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Also, if any of those test results were prior to the requirement of you dropping your calories so dramatically, I'd have them rerun. Even if they were just a year old and not before the calorie drop. Obviously something, or a bunch of little somethings, changed... You'll just have to keep digging to figure it out.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Any new news??
  • RalfLott
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    Any new news??

Hmmm. Here's a twist, new to me but probably old news to many of you vets - iodine vs. environmental toxins.

https://youtu.be/9BfyEAFgvmU
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Thanks, @RalfLott, maybe I'll try adding a couple mg to my supplement regimen. I don't have flouridated water (on a well) or get bromide from bread since I am gluten free, and I hate regular iodized salt (tastes gross) although I do eat sea vegetables and my salt is Grey Sea Salt from Ile de Noirmoutier, France.
    What I had read lately was that we get enough in our diet but we are low on selenium which enables uptake of iodine.

Sigh.... one more pill to add to my daily 26 already. :|
  • Foamroller
    Foamroller Posts: 1,041 Member
    Options
    Thanks, @RalfLott, maybe I'll try adding a couple mg to my supplement regimen. I don't have flouridated water (on a well) or get bromide from bread since I am gluten free, and I hate regular iodized salt (tastes gross) although I do eat sea vegetables and my salt is Grey Sea Salt from Ile de Noirmoutier, France.
    What I had read lately was that we get enough in our diet but we are low on selenium which enables uptake of iodine.

You don't have to use supplements for selenium or iodine. Thx to @baconslave from a hair loss thread...I eat 2 Brazil nuts for selenium. For iodine I eat japanese roasted seaweed, nori. I know you know, but for the others...don't overdo intake of iodine. The "more is always better"-mentality can be harmful when it comes to micronutrients and hormone balance. If seaweed doesn't do the job...maybe splurge on some oysters now and then ?
  • RalfLott
    Options
    Foamroller wrote: »

You don't have to use supplements for selenium or iodine. Thx to @baconslave from a hair loss thread...I eat 2 Brazil nuts for selenium. For iodine I eat japanese roasted seaweed, nori. I know you know, but for the others...don't overdo intake of iodine. The "more is always better"-mentality can be harmful when it comes to micronutrients and hormone balance. If seaweed doesn't do the job...maybe splurge on some oysters now and then ?

Just so happens I've got a bag of Brazil nuts next to a box of seaweed chews where boxes of crackers once dwelled, and I don't buy new furniture (cats}...... Still, is there a downside to adding a kelp pill?
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Brazil nuts are awesome! I've eaten a handful of Brazil Nuts fairly often most of my adult life. I have only been able to drop my thyroid antibodies from 1100 to 400 (so far) since I have been taking extra selenium. That was the only thing that got me results but now I want to improve my ratio of FT3 /FT4 while still continuing to lower antibodies. I have other autoimmune issues so that may play into selenium/iodine absorption in my case, who knows.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Be very careful on Brazil nuts, please, all. The selenium content of them can vary wildly. And by wildly, you could eat one and be near toxicity level, or you could eat 20 and not even get to therapeutic levels. If you're eating them, they should be organic and regularly testing products. The fact is, less than great areas can produce them, and the climate, conditions, pesticides, and dozens of other factors contribute to the selenium content, and even one tree can produce radically different selenium content. Also, I think I've heard that anywhere from 75-95% of the world's population is allergic to Brazil nuts. So I stick to the yeast based forms of selenium. I stopped taking iodine for a while, due to cost, had a bad reaction to a combination formula, but am considering supplementing it again, but want a baseline test again before I do so. I have bookmarked that video to watch later, hopefully...
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I always go with lugol iodine - I'm a fan of topical supplementation!