Has anyone tried low carb?

Options
Hi there, im almost 45 and discovered low carb eating to tackle the middle age spread. Id love to become friends with anyone trying something similar.

Replies

• RejsGirl
    RejsGirl Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Yes, been eating low carb for a little over 3 years now. Has made a huge difference!
  • midwestdawn
    midwestdawn Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    What defines low carb? (What % of daily calories from carbs do you eat?)
  • RejsGirl
    RejsGirl Posts: 198 Member
    edited April 2017
    Options
    A low carb diet is between 10-26% of your daily calories. I do eat fruit carbs, but I eat very little starchy foods. I suppose I eat a moderate carb diet, not technically low.

From wikipedia: The term "low-carbohydrate diet" is generally applied to diets that restrict carbohydrates to less than 20% of caloric intake, but can also refer to diets that simply restrict or limit carbohydrates to less than recommended proportions (generally less than 45% of total energy coming from carbohydrates)
  • beesmum
    beesmum Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    I've been trying to eat low carb.. gradual process. What do your meals look like?
  • Kerry_Loo
    Kerry_Loo Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    Hi, I'm currently following the keto way of eating (low carb, high fat, moderate protein) and it has been great for me. It's been 3 months (first month spent faffing) and I've lost two stone. I've started to tweak it recently as I find I don't need as much fat in my diet these days as my body is fat adapted, so i don't feel hungry or crave carbs anymore. I found a lot of the info from dietdoctor website.
  • kimannhodge
    kimannhodge Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I have started this week. I have already lost 3 lbs by only eating low carb foods. I am easy into ketosis trying to avoid the carb flu
  • cxmxd1975
    cxmxd1975 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi, low carb is great and works well for a lot of people. I found it hard being Paleo as it really limited what I could eat when I wasn't the one cooking and it is more of a lifestyle change than a diet. But if you are looking to just limit carbs, I find it pretty easy and rewarding.
  • BamaChick74
    BamaChick74 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I currently am on a low carb, high protein diet and it seems to be working for me. I love to cook and don't eat out very much. Once I dropped my carbs, my digestion improved and I don't feel as bloated when I eat.
  • huruta22
    huruta22 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    I tried a low carb diet for a few months and it didn't work for me. By the end of it I felt ill and nauseated by my food choices. I know there's a period where it's really tough and then it gets a lot easier. It never got a easier for me and it took all the joy out of food. Maybe I didn't do it long enough or right, but I just found I craved foods that I wasn't supposed to have. In any event I found it wasn't sustainable for me. I did learn a few things. A high protein breakfast reduces cravings later in the day (very useful). That protein isn't something I love and I have to take more care to make sure I have enough of it.

Currently, I am trying to lose weight and definitely try and keep my carbs low (~20%), protein high and fat, well, I don't have a problem here. Cheese and avocado and peanut butter are my friends! And this amount of carbs feeds some internal craving I seem to have. I've lost 5 lbs so far and it seems to work for me. I think there's a lot of inter-individual variation in terms of what works. No approach is easy peasy. Good luck.
  • JDT2017
    JDT2017 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I tried low carb for a while and it worked, but my fat consumption was up. Cholesterol got really bad. I was diagnosed type 2 diabetic this last March. The dietitian has me on a 90 - 150 grams of carbs per day, so not horrible, but not terribly low carb either. It seems to be helping, my blood sugar is dropping, I need to exercise a bit more to drop weight.
  • healednfree73
    healednfree73 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I have found that low carb is the best diet for me it helps control my blood sugar if i avoid starchy carbs at a minimum - i eat fresh fruits,vegetables and lean meats like chicken and fish - i rarely eat the white carbs such as pasta,white bread and white rice anymore - but i must have potatoes occassionally - i won't give up white potatoes completely
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Keto here. Just started. Lunch today lettuce wraps w ground beef shredded cheddar and Lil bit salsa.

• Renyna
    Renyna Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    I have been doing low carb for years ever since the Atkins Phase emerged. It has always helped me to lose weight I have been a diabetic for 22 years I am 46 years old it has been my go to diet it allows me to come off of my diabetic medications stabilizes my blood sugars Etc. I have lost almost 40 pounds in 2 months if done properly it is great. However in order to maintain you cannot look at it as if it's a diet it has to be a lifestyle change
  • TnTWalter
    TnTWalter Posts: 345 Member
    Options
    Low carb worked for me in my thirties now in my forties and struggling so I switch to ketogenic and it's awesome.
  • leneveu2
    leneveu2 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Keto works for me when I stick to the plan. My wife struggles with it but I am a meatatarian. :wink: and that makes it easier for me.
  • mranlett
    mranlett Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    I'm also doing low carb - started in February and I credit the diet with helping me lose 50 lbs. I've also been working out, so it's not 100% diet, maybe only 90% diet :wink:
  • Pinkferry12345
    Pinkferry12345 Posts: 430 Member
    Options
    abs1970 wrote: »
    46 and I've done low carb for over a year - if you want to stay lean, I think it's the way forward.
    Looks like it’s working