Menopause-gaining weight at an alarming rate

Options
bambee2013
bambee2013 Posts: 49 Member
Any suggestions to increase metabolism. I've cut out bread and sugar. Still having a hard time getting weight off. I'm trying to focus on strength exercises. I have no energy and I can't focus on anything.

Replies

• Zuzurillo
    Zuzurillo Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I'm experiencing similar issues. I have always been a big believer in the science behind a low carb lifestyle but as I've hit 55 and started menopause symptoms and it's not doing the trick. After quite a few women I know ( having similar issues) told me about going more on a ketogenic diet the scale is moving again and I am feeling so much better. I would suggest looking into the science behind keto and how it helps with metabolism, balancing hormones, brain fog etc.. and giving it a try. A great resource is blogger Leanne Vogel who also just came out with a book (The Keto Diet). I've been on a keto diet for about 10 days and have lost 3lbs and feeling much more energetic. Just thought I'd share my experience, hope it helps. I'm new to MFP and am looking for other women who are in the same boat to compare notes. I'll send you a friend request :)
  • FPjomoke
    FPjomoke Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Hi there Zuzurillo. I am finishing day one of keto!!
    I have been wheat and sugar free for almost 2 months so not a huge leap. How is your journey going?
    It sounds silly but I am usually exhausted by 9pm and tonight I'm wide awake. I also noticed I felt better today in terms of mood.
    I didnt expect any change yet..certainly not this quickly...but makes me wonder.
  • Zuzurillo
    Zuzurillo Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    Hi Jkens! Good for you!! Yes, I have noticed the energy uptick as well. You may have done this already but have you had a doctor visit to be sure you are not going through some thyroid issues? It's pretty common for menopause and thyroid issues to happen around the same time. I went in and had a bunch of tests done. My thyroid is just fine but I found out that I am very low in B12, Folate, D and am slightly anemic. I was pretty shocked as I have always been a "low carber" and get plenty of meat and had been taking a multivitamin and D supplement. The hormonal fluctuations with menopause apparently can wreck havoc on other things as well. For me, those things added up to my feeling SO tired all the time. At the same time I started keto ( about 10 days ago) I also upped my supplements: I've had two B12 /Folate shots, added additional D and Omega 3. My doc wants me to have a cup of bone broth daily as well. My doctor said it would be about one month for the additional supplements to kick in (and then I'll do check up blood tests) so I know my energy is totally keto related. It's been 9 days since I've had a nap! LOL! I think the amazing thing with keto is that our older bodies really work so much better with the heavier fat, moderate protein and low carbs. I haven't weighed myself in a few days. I'm kind of nervous about it - LOL. I have been testing "purple" on my keto strips but don't want to feel discouraged if I'm not losing. I FEEL so much better already so don't want to blow it by feeling "bad" if I haven't lost weight. It's dumb I know :wink: Keep in touch - let me know how you're doing!