Muscle and joint pain

Options
samthepanda
samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
I still work out, I run 5ks but less than I used to, but this year, feel like everything hurts! Heel pain after running, elbow and scaphoid pain from a old injury, back, neck, knees. Is this part of it? Any suggestions for how to help? Exercise is key for my mental health so I don't want to stop but I don't want to make things worse either. I eat reasonably healthy, only a couple of pounds overweight, already taking a menopause vitamin.

Replies

• Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    It's definitely on the list. I don't know of a solution, alas.

http://www.34-menopause-symptoms.com

Good luck!
    (I switched to mostly treadmill running for now)
  • camtosh
    camtosh Posts: 898 Member
    Options
    Have you cut out gluten? I find that helped immensely in stopping the aches.
  • samthepanda
    samthepanda Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    As a picky vegetarian I'm a little worried about what would be left to eat but I will look into it. Thanks
    @"
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    Are you getting enough protein? Long term low protein makes it difficult for your body to repair muscles and tendons properly. I had a recurring shoulder and heel issue off and on for about a year, but both have gone away now that I am making a serious effort to get at least 100g of protein a day.
  • TheGaudyMagpie
    TheGaudyMagpie Posts: 282 Member
    Options
    Most people are conscious of Vitamin D importance these days, but if you're not taking a supplement, it might help. One of my doctors told me that the signs of deficiency include general aches and pains. I have some kind of cervical damage (probably arthritis) that causes pain, and I find that collagen supplements really help. That's not veg, obviously, but I think there are vegetarian gelatin sources. I'm not sure that it would have the same effect, but it might be worth looking into. Low thyroid can also contribute to joint pain.

Honestly, the best fix for the aches and pains of age for me has been hormone replacement, although I know there are people that can't or won't use it. I run and lift some and currently have virtually no pain that's not related to my neck problem. I thought for sure that I'd at least have some knee trouble but I haven't. I also take D (fish oil sourced but most is from lanolin), fish oil (borage, maybe, for a vegetarian), collagen, ashwagandha, lysine, and K, and those probably help some too.
  • tmbg1
    tmbg1 Posts: 1,281 Member
    Options
    I am having aches and pains too... I am always sore!!
  • heroyalslimness
    heroyalslimness Posts: 591 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Me too! Painful to walk---that's crazy! I put it down to aging --but really appreciate the possible causes--AND remedies I am reading. Will try!
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I've also joined the club. I think it's the rain.
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    keep moving. It loosens me up and overall makes me feel better.
  • klkarlen
    klkarlen Posts: 4,366 Member
    Options
    I just started taking magnesium taurate it seems to be helping.
  • megd44
    megd44 Posts: 110 Member
    Options
    I have all the aches and pains associate with menopause and late 40s. I take a several vitamins and try to get some movement in everyday. I have a workout DVD set I love, and on the days my knees don't want to cooperate, I modify some of the movements. I had to learn that I cannot workout the same way I did in my early thirties. The pool is my biggest friend right now, not only because of the Southern Nevada heat, but because it takes the pressure off the joints.
  • MostlyWater
    MostlyWater Posts: 4,294 Member
    Options
    I'm not sure what it is. I'm in the gym 6 days a week and alternate strength and cardio workouts. I do the elliptical before my strength classes, but when I started getting shooting pains in my knees and my hips were always aching, I cut out doing the elliptical before strength classes 3 times a week, and I only do part of the Wednesday spin class now.
  • mccraee
    mccraee Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I agree that I don't workout the way I used to. My goal every day is to finish up feeling great. Biking, walking, some weights all help. Gardening is great (depending on what I'm doing). stretch. I wish I could make time for yoga
  • casw0005
    casw0005 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I started taking flaxseed pills twice a day and it helps a lot. But if I forget the pain comes back quickly. When I exercise, I also go a lot easier on my body than I used to. I started doing intervals instead of running nonstop and that seems to help. Based on how I feel, I may run faster or slower or for less time. Then I do a very long stretch afterwards. Really, it's the stretching that seems to be doing the most for me, and the flaxseeds.
  • jmfloyd2014
    jmfloyd2014 Posts: 15 Member
    Options
    I've got a hot rice sock on my lower back right now. If you've never discovered a rice sock, it's amazing and simple. Pour dry rice into a hole-free tube sock, knot the end to keep the rice in the sock, microwave on high (30 sec to 1 min) and then place where you ache.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I like using dry beans for heating pads, they stay warm a bit longer than rice...but in a pinch either will do amazing things!