Lifting and expecting

Options
dessiepenn
dessiepenn Posts: 167 Member
Just found out I'm expecting my 3rd. I'm only 6 weeks. I've been lifting for 2 years and heavy lifting since January. Besides battling first trimester symptoms I really don't plan on stopping. I feel I shouldn't try to max out any more but I don't want to back down on the weight I can dead lift and squat. No one knows yet and I'll keep it quiet for a few more weeks. I've read conflicting info on lifting while pregnant. I've workout with my first two but it was more cardio. Anyone lift while expecting? Did you maintain or slowly still get stronger?

Replies

• dessiepenn
    dessiepenn Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    Let me add that I am familiar with safe lifting techniques while pregnant
  • sardelsa
    sardelsa Posts: 9,812 Member
    Options
    I lifted while I was pregnant. I definitely lowered my load and listened to my body (if something felt off or painful I dropped it from my program immediately).

You will most likely lose some strength and be unable to lift the same weight you are lifting now as your body shape changes.. your balance can be off and ligaments loosen so you want to be safe. I have heard to lift no more than 70% your 1RM (I went nowhere near mine).. but obviously everyone is different. I had to build my strength back up after but it wasn't too bad.
    Congrats and good luck!
  • trjjoy
    trjjoy Posts: 666 Member
    Options
    I took a 6-month break from lifting and only resumed it at 36 weeks. I quickly got back on track and lifted until I was 40 or 41 weeks along. I gave birth at 42 weeks, I'm 10 weeks PP today, and I started lifting today.

You needn't deload if you don't feel it's necessary. Listen to your body and smash your personal bests if you feel like it :)

And enjoy your pregnancy!
  • charlenegrichard
    charlenegrichard Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    I lifted the entire time I was pregnant. I lowered my weight some (doctor asked me to) and I listened to my body. If I felt exhausted or overexerted I stopped. Super easy pregnancy, labor and delivery.
    Congratulations!!
  • bodylicious01
    bodylicious01 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I work out for the first 7 months with my 3rd pregnancy, just drop my weight for it. I felt great while I was doing it. Now I'm 9months pp and I took the first 4 months off. I started back again I felt like it was easier to lose the baby weight this time around. Listen to your body you will know what is best for you..

Congratulations and enjoy your pregnancy..:-)