Living the Lifestyle (LTL) Tue May 2, 2017

Options
podkey
podkey Posts: 5,080 Member
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday - Jimb376mfp (Jim) & 88olds (George)
Tuesday - Podkey (Biker Bob)
Wednesday - GadgetgirlIL (Regina)
Thursday - misterhub (Greg)
Friday - TimDumez (Tim)

Today's topic: RNT Results Not Typical. What makes us different this time that is helping make weight loss and/or maintenance different?

Replies

• podkey
    Options
    Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result is sometimes a definition of insanity yet many of us fall prey to that. How have we changed in our heads to be "that guy" or "that gal"??
  • goldenfrisbee
    goldenfrisbee Posts: 1,640 Member
    Options
    Slow and steady with no plans to cross a finish line. At 57 My body does not carry this extra weight very well. Hoping that knee and back pain will lessen as I drop the lbs.
  • myallforjcbill
    myallforjcbill Posts: 5,536 Member
    Options
    This is my third major push to get back to my "goal" weight. So the lifestyle choices come easier and are more natural. My energy seems to be focused on not letting the well-ingrained bad lifestyle choices from creeping back in at times. I am more relaxed about things and have learned to take it a day at a time. Lastly I have finally accepted that life will continue to have its ups and downs and I can't let the emotions that come with it drive my choices.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    The difference is I'm not quitting. As long as I keep doing my healthy habits, my weight will follow. I've been up 6.5lbs since my low before the holidays, but I really focused on my healthy habits last week and lost 1.5 of that. It's a good reminder that the basics work, and the basics are what will take off the small gain before it becomes a big gain.
  • TimDumez
    TimDumez Posts: 1,161 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I finally found an activity that I not only don't mind doing, but actually like. I eat very close to my allowable calories each day. And that keeps me yoyo-ing in weight from week to week if I don't exercise. Doing 60 to 80 minutes each day of exercise helps burn calories and keeps me busy so that I'll not be grazing for food in my idle time. I'm sure it will happen at some point, but since I restarted WL on 11/07/2016 I've had a loss every week, no pushes and no gains... I like that!!!
  • imastar2
    imastar2 Posts: 5,948 Member
    Options
    Its a never ending battle and always has been and always will be. So I've resided to the fact that I will beat the weight problem and not let it beat me in other words keeping a positive attitude about the whole thing. Since it is a constant battle I am fighting it with:
    A. Positive attitude.
    B. Taking Action by seeing a dietitian and a behavioral person to help me figure out why I eat sometimes the way I do.
    C. Follow the Plan the Dietitian has laid out for me.
    D. Accountable to the Dietitian once a month by checking progress and consultation.
    E. I'm expecting good results. My expectation of doing this is what I intend to get.

Still working on all of the above and its certainly a work in progress.
  • podkey
    Options
    I like the idea of some expectation or at least the idea that xyz is a sensible approach so I don't have a negative attitude about it up front. True enough. As guys many of us don't want to be told you "must" do xyz. "Eat this not that". Somehow we need to make it our own without being doomed from the get go.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 7,937 Member
    Options
    Sticking to it, even when gaining.
  • MurpleCat
    MurpleCat Posts: 229 Member
    Options
    A new health scare and realization that I can't keep putting off my health for "later".
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    Realizing when I was turning 50 (back in 2011) that the excess weight was making me feel like I was turning 80. I did not want to spend whatever decades I have left with joint pain that was aggravated by excess weight.

Growing older is challenging enough, I don't need to be lugging around extra pounds.

Or as my residents remind me, "growing old isn't for sissies".
  • beachwoman2006
    beachwoman2006 Posts: 1,214 Member
    Options
    Al_Howard wrote: »
    Sticking to it, even when gaining.

Amen. I loved seeing the scale take a downward trend every day for 3 weeks. Now it seems to be taking a small upward trend every morning. But I'll just keep plugging along and hope that the scale catches up by the end of the week.
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,467 Member
    Options
    Different?

I joined WW, me. People who knew me thought I was joking. Fortunately I didn't understand the women's club aspect.

I went to a meeting, there were only four of us. The numbers grew as ML attracted a following. But it was months before I got a good look at the revolving door nature of WW. May not have started if I had understood.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    I have a much stronger determination this time.. My first go round was my most successful to date with over 30 lb lost... and when people really started noticing the changes - something emotionally changed, and suddenly it was very embarrassing to admit that I had had a problem, that I had been putting effort into WL. Of course when I quit doing the things, the weight slowly crept back on, and though I flirted with coming back a few times, didn't put a lot of effort into it, as those feelings of embarrassment quickly returned.

This time - I'm looking past that.. maybe it's something inside me that says that I really don't give a flying rat's *kitten* to what other people think... maybe it's that I want to reach my goals more than I want to be accepted. Maybe I've accepted that this is who I am now.. that the days of being a young athlete are gone, and to be an athlete again requires *big change*.

I've set goals now that have lit a fire deep inside.. and that is new. I want it enough that I am willing to do what it takes, and am using determination and discipline to keep acting on those desires.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,231 Member
    Options
    Probably a few things I learned on GoaD.
    1 There is no Finish line
    2 WL is NOT linear
    3. Nothing changes much when you reach goal.

Plus a few changes in my Lifestyle
    1. Added aqua aerobics
    2. Swim laps
    3. Got a Fitbit
    4. Realized that it's not easy to lose a pound a week but it sure is easy to gain!
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    Options
    There are several, not the least of which is I haven't stopped doing it since I started almost three years ago.

Secondly, I think the way I got started, which was 'gentle prodding' from my doctor who suggested I just lose five pounds, made a big mental difference. Thinking of losing five pounds seemed doable. At that time, thinking about losing 80 would have been far less so. Attitude accounts for a lot!

Finding GOAD early on the path and digging through the archives my first week of WW gave me the low-down on weight loss from many of you who'd been here before me. There is nothing like experience and the school of hard knocks to teach lessons and GOAD was and is an absolutely valuable asset in my weight loss efforts.

I have to credit WW too. For me, I needed the structure of the program and it (the Points Plus plan) worked well. I did the majority of my weight loss on that plan. By the time the current 'Smart Points' plan was rolled out, I was already eating that way for the most part.

Lastly, taking a perspective I can make work on a daily basis keeps me here one more day. I don't think about forever. I don't lament about what I can't (choose not to) eat. I make the choice each day to enjoy the benefits that come with weight loss. And do it again another day.
  • podkey
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Totally agree. If I had to think about losing over 1/2 of 100 LB (50LB+) I too would not have started. Not thinking about amount of loss or time to lose it made a difference for me.
    I sometimes don't comment to postings that talk about losing 100,200 LB or more as I have no experience in losing that amount and may lack some "street cred" in that regard. Myself I look as much at how long folks keep off what they lose as I do at the exact amount.