Keto vs low carb

PhilipHall
PhilipHall Posts: 37 Member
Is under 50 grams of carbs per day considered ketogenic or low carb? Source of the carbs are from a banana (31 grams) and cottage cheese (10-15 grams) and other (10 grams). I’ve heard some say that a banana has what’s called slow carbs. Not sure about cottage cheese.

Replies

• KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,103 Member
    Some people can maintain NK (nutritional ketosis) at 50 grams of carbs. Most still have to do a 20 carb induction phase to speed up the ketone process, but you can eventually get into ketosis at that level if your body can tolerate that level.

That being said, a banana would flat out knock me out of ketosis (it would trigger insulin release, which stops fat burning). Cottage cheese, I've not had issues with, but it does still have natural milk sugars, so it's very individual. I've not heard of bananas being slow carb, but they might be. I know that my mom is a T2 Diabetic, and she can't have them, as they spike her blood sugar levels. I'm insulin resistant, and that's where my issues come from. I would suggestion you do both glucose and ketone testing to see how you react to those particular carbs. If you're using the banana immediately before an intense workout, you might be able to get away with it.

It's all about how your body reacts to those goods. It requires testing to determine. Plus, if you have any outlying health issues, @PhilipHall , it will affect how your body handles them. If nothing else, the majority of people tolerate more carbs better in the evening, so any banana or higher carb hits would likely have less negative effect then.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    A banana isn't slow carbs at all. JDRF supply's them along with candy as another option at "low stations" at Type 1 events for fast blood sugar correction.