This thing with my hip -- a GoaD on the Run tale

Options
Calvin2008Brian
Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
A run club friend asked my about my hip, and my response ended up being a rather long-winded story along the lines of the race reports we used to post on the GoaD on the Run thread. I thought I'd share . . .

My symptoms began 7 years ago while training for Grandma’s Marathon. I’d run regularly for 2+ years before then, including training for 2 previous marathons, and not had hip pain. I saw a running-friendly ortho doc and she did a PT referral and had me see their prosthetics guy for custom orthotics. It got a little better, and I kept plugging away.
Over the years the pain in my hip persisted. It would get worse with increased mileage and feel better if I backed off of running completely. I did a number of things to address the problem, including stretching and strengthening, core exercises, and increased cross-training (mostly biking). For a long time the problem was not something I felt while running, or, if I did feel it, it would kind of “warm up” and feel ok after I got going.

Over time, I was feeling pain alternately in the outside of my hip, my butt, and my low back. What I’ve surmised is that the sore spots would move around because different muscles were compensating for the deeper issue. I’m stubborn and was able to tolerate the discomfort pretty well, but by 2014 I was feeling it during long runs more and more and my last few marathons were no fun.

I backed off of running quite a bit after running the NYC Marathon in Nov 2014. In 2015, I rode my bike a lot and worked with a personal trainer. I slowly ramped up running miles in the fall. Everything felt pretty good. I targeted and ran a good 10K on Thanksgiving 2015. I was aiming for Grandma’s 2016 as a marathon comeback, but abandoned that plan when my long runs got up to the 15+ range and the hip issue came back worse than before. I went through a few cycles of backing off/rest/strengthening and then trying to ramp up my running, but with the same result. I did a half marathon in January 2017 but really couldn’t train past 8 or so mile long runs. I ran/walked the race and it was ok, but certainly not encouraging.

This spring, after the January half, running has been really unpleasant. Also, the issue began bothering me more in everyday settings (getting up from a chair, getting out of the car). When at rest I feel it as a deep, achy pain in the front of the hip/groin. When in motion, it can vary some but I usually feel a throb in the same area with each foot plant. It has never been sharp or unbearable pain, but just mostly a persistent achiness.

With no improvement being seen, I finally made an appointment and went back to see the same ortho I visited in 2010. She ordered an MRI which revealed a damaged labrum. She believes I likely had some trauma to that area at some point in time (in other words, this is not a classic overuse injury). MRI results showed a “thin linear tearing through the base of a diminutive, attritional, residual anterior-superior labrum.” As explained to me, the labrum is in poor shape and not providing the cushioning and control it normally would. In my case, the doctor believes the labral tearing is secondary to the primary issue of deteriorated thickness and viability of the labrum. There is no surgical treatment, and this not something that heals or regenerates. She offered PT and steroid injection for treatment.

I opted for a round of PT (aimed at improving strength and stability of the muscles around the hip. The phrase I keep hearing at PT is “we’ve got to get your glutes firing.” So, yeah. Not a great deal of fun, but it’s early yet and I’m hopeful. If I don’t feel improvement I’ll go back to the doctor for the steroid injection.

My doc advised against running on rugged, uneven terrain. So trail running is not advised, and she warned against activities that require a lot of pivoting activity. Running is not discouraged, but for now its not something I’m able to enjoy. I’m hoping that with PT and ongoing stretching and strengthening that I’ll be able to tolerate at least some moderate running, maybe building up to 10+ miles and half marathons. Fingers crossed!

Replies

• Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    Options
    As a former runner who got knocked out of the run by a total destruction of a knee some years back.. I feel your pain. Good luck!
  • klmackey893
    klmackey893 Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I did not like running when I was 21 I dislike it even more 40 yrs later. That is why I bike.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @Calvin2008Brian , that sounds like a long time gradual / declining situation. I can certainly see how it would be a mental as well as physical setback. Good luck with the P/T; don't rush things! Is it worth getting a second opinion if you haven't done so already?
  • manladdvm
    manladdvm Posts: 8,679 Member
    Options
    Thanks for sharing. Hope PT plus steroid injection works for you.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,098 Member
    Options
    I use to run with my kids doing the fun runs and a marathon or two myself. I am beyond that these days and love biking like klmacky893. Our bodies don't care that much what we choose to do to move . I have no illusions (ok occasional slight ones) of running but am very active. Walking hiking biking work wonders for me. I had an injury (portion of achilles tear??) that I never really got away from.
    Good luck with whatever you decide.
  • podkey
    podkey Posts: 5,098 Member
    Options
    Oh you really don't want to do pivoting activity. Makes sense.
  • gadgetgirlIL
    gadgetgirlIL Posts: 1,381 Member
    Options
    So sorry to read this update. At least you finally have an answer to what has been the source of pain over the years. Fingers crossed that the PT allows you to remain active in some manner.
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all. I appreciate @minimyzeme's reminder to be patient with the PT. I have a good one, and she tells me the same thing.
  • mfpchris
    mfpchris Posts: 279 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    At age 40 I gained a bunch of weight. I've ran a lot (18:15 5K) biked, swam, tennis, I have always enjoyed moving around. But at 40 I blew up, and sat down for second helpings of supper. At 45 I started to have hip pain on one side. I started about a five year run of very consistently doing Iyengar Yoga. My hip hurt for the first year. I lost weight and kept practicing. My hip pain stopped and I kept hit the Iyengar Yoga hard.

Sad story, hip pain free and at a good weight I moved for work, stopped doing yoga, and gained a bunch of weight.

The good news is so far I've not had a return of hip pain. One of the beliefs about an Iyengar Yoga practice is that holding the poses for longer and longer times is like a half wet sponge, if you squeeze it really hard pretty much the whole sponge gets wet. These low circulation things like knee meniscus, hip labrums, etc. do not get a good circulation, and healing is slow or none existent. With a practice like Iyengar Yoga these things get squeezed and moved around in different ways. These unique movements and stresses might slightly increase circulation, and therefore might promote some healing in damaged areas that otherwise might not heal.

Good luck (BTW, I'm done 20 this year and I feel like my head is on straight to get to my health weight again)