Excess skin

Mandy_1982
Mandy_1982 Posts: 160 Member
How is everyone dealing with their excess skin?

As surgery gets closer (also watching that skin show on TLC), I'm concerned about the excess skin I will have. People seem to really be bothered by it and even after all the weight loss, they still aren't comfortable with their bodies.

Has excess skin been an issue for you?

Replies

• JamesAztec
    JamesAztec Posts: 524 Member
    Hi @Mandy_1982 I have some excess skin after losing the weight. I'm guessing15-25 pounds worth. It's a little unsightly but it's not like too many people are seeing me naked anyway. I have thought about skin removal surgery but with my financial situation it would probably have to be in Mexico. My insurance definitely won't cover it. If I were to do it it would be in about a year after I (fingers-crossed) run my first marathon. Practically speaking, it hasn't really effected my life all that much. The one thing that has happened is that my "man boobs" are more effident now. So much so that my nipples sometime chafe when I do long runs. Now I know what you women go through with the bouncing! lol. But otherwise, I dont' think the skin is a big deal. I've always had the mindset that I'd rather have excess skin than excess weight.
  • ruqayyahsmum
    ruqayyahsmum Posts: 1,514 Member
    Im in the uk and had to sign to say i wouldnt seek skin surgery
    I cant afford to pay for it so ill have to invest in spanks

Its not been too much of an issue but last week the skin on my back split in 2 places while on a hike with my son in a back carry
    Ive got allyvn stuck to it with a dressing over as it keeps bleeding but hopefully will heal soon
  • Lizakabibbis
    Lizakabibbis Posts: 370 Member
    The only excess skin that really bothers me is my arms. My arms were always really big so now even though I do lift 4-5 times a week the saggy skin isn't going away. Outside of that - I don't think I look horrible. I throw on a Spanx and go about my business. I'm happy as is my partner....
  • garber6th
    garber6th Posts: 1,894 Member
    The only excess skin that really bothers me is my arms.

This for me. I have a lot of loose skin due to the amount of weight I lost. I have thought about skin surgery but I would need a total lower body lift, and the cost as well as the amount of recovery time I would need - I will likely pass. If it caused me a lot of problems I might consider it, but it doesn't. I don't get rashes or anything like some people do. I look good in clothes, and I am good with that. I MIGHT get my arms done but even that's a big maybe at this point.
  • loveshoe
    loveshoe Posts: 365 Member
    I believe the amount of excess skin you have after weight loss is based on age, how long you've been overweight, genetics, and general skin condition. I lost 103 pounds and I believe I have about 3 - 4 lbs of excess skin and maybe less. I would love to have my arms done but as long as they continue to make 3/4 sleeve in clothing I'm good. I have some excess skin on my upper thighs, and stomach. Insurance won't cover the minimal amount of excess skin I have and I'm not bothered by it so I won't be paying out of pocket to have it removed. I don't like the way it looks but I'm so much healthier with the excess weight gone I'll take the skin any day.

I was also told it takes a year for any shrinkage of the excess skin to occur. I've been at this weight for a year and I can't tell any difference. I still wear Spanx but maybe that's just a security blanket because I've worn them for so many years.

HW-267, SW-233, CW-133 - working on those two pounds I've gained.
  • NicoleL874
    NicoleL874 Posts: 684 Member
    I'm having skin removal done this July in Mexico. I took out a line of credit on my house to pay for it and the five weeks of work I'll be missing. With missed work, I'm around $13k. Well worth it for me.

My arms are so bad even my bari surgeon was shocked to see them. I can't wear short sleeve shirts, or even shirts that end at the elbow because it all hangs there.

Since I'm having my arms done, my midsection and back are so bad I cannot find pants that fit me right. I have to size pants up and even with a belt they shift too much that I'm constantly tugging and pulling at them.

My bras and shirts don't fit right because of the fat around my bra strap, so it's got to go. My skin is excessive enough that I'm continually messing with sizes and cannot find anything other than sports' bras that fit right. And you ladies know, they do nothing for the shape...

So yeah, mine is excessive. So I'm doing what I can. I'm lucky enough to own my home without a mortgage, so a line of credit was not an unreasonable burden for me.
  • ssflbelle2012
    ssflbelle2012 Posts: 314 Member
    After losing 280 pounds I have excess skin everywhere. I am 61 years old and was obese all my life so there is no way my skin will shrink, it has to be removed through surgery. On March 21st I was suppose to have a breast reduction because the excess skin hangs down to my belly button. I kid you not. However that surgery was canceled less than 12 hours before surgery because they discovered a microcalcification. I just had the biopsy yesterday and should have the result tomorrow. If it is benign I am hoping my breast surgery is rescheduled soon as the pain in my back is beyond belief. Because of all the pain my insurance is paying for it.
    I have three other excess skin removal surgeries I hope they will pay for as well. I have 4 herniated disc, spinal stenosis and sciatica and can't have back surgery until all the excess skin is removed. I have to have these 3 skin surgeries approved otherwise my back will never get done and I will never be able to stand and walk for more than 5 minutes. All my excess skin on the back of my legs is causing pain when I sit and that is what I have to do all the time. My tummy excess skin and bat wings down to my wrist is also causing pain on my back. I am glad the weight is gone but I am not as happy as I thought I would be because I still can't do what I use to do before I was injured in 1990. I can't continue to live with all these problems as despite a smaller size I still feel miserable.
  • Ultima_Morpha
    Ultima_Morpha Posts: 895 Member
    Considering that I've lost 130 pounds, I'm very fortunate in the loose skin department. I'm bothered most by the slack in my thighs and butt. While I could totally use a tummy tuck and breast lift/implants, those areas aren't as bothersome to me. My arms have some looseness...but, again, not bad at all.

Between obesity, a surgical hernia, and two pregnancies...I have a pronounced separation in my abdominal muscles (diastasis). I could probably get approved for that repair but I don't have any issues related to the loose skin and that portion would be out of pocket.

Since the diastasis and the loose skin aren't particularly bothersome to me I'm not willing to spend the money or take the recovery time to have them rectified at the moment. I did start a savings account in the event that I change my mind...or I'll use it to buy a new car or remodel the kitchen. Lol.

There are so many factors that will be in play for any individual situation. Look at where you carry your weight now and the condition of the skin (stretch marks, etc.), I believe that will give you some clue as to what you can expect when you lose the weight. If you're one of those women that have a lot of fat deposits on your tricep area, you're probably going to have some loose skin there. Stretch marks are an indicator of low elasticity and existing damage...those areas may not bounce back as well.

It definitely took a year for me to see improvements in my skin tautness and I still am seeing some improvements nearly 2 years post surgery.