Jason Fung book - Intermitent Fasting and low carb and starvation mode

Options
Bob314159
Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
I speed read this over the weekend - it convinced me enough that I'm now finishing a 24 hour fast.

However I'm wondering that he seems to consider that "starvation mode" exists and I've always thought it was a myth. Am I in danger that my body gets used to me dieting? I"ve lost around 80 lbs and still have at least 30 more to go.

Replies

• kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    It exists if you fail to re-feed after an extended fast, continuing a period of extended low calorie doldrums. Fasting is fine, but *intermittent* is the key word.
  • Lucille4444
    Lucille4444 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    I think you should read again, this time more slowly. Dr. Fung outlines frequently how fasting is different from other 'diets' and I believe somewhere in there he shows a picture of a couple of starving men and specifically points out that this came about because the men were on a low calorie diet and not fasting. Fasting has physiological protection from 'starvation mode' problems, although Fung says that fasts of several weeks should be accomplished under medical supervision because there are some rare risks 'refeeding syndrome'.
    Kirkor is correct when he says that one should refeed and not eat low calorie after a fast, because that may in fact bring on what you and everyone should try to avoid, which is a lowering of metabolism.
  • redimock
    redimock Posts: 258 Member
    Options
    I think another point that he kind of fails to hammer home, in my view anyway, is that the difference between fasting and low calorie diets is the insulin level. If you are fasting, your insulin levels are low, so you have access to fat storage, so your body does not need to alter the metabolic rate. When you are just trying to eat low calories for prolonged periods of time, your insulin level is higher, so you don't have access to those fat storages, so instead of burning fat, your body needs to compensate by lowering metabolic rate. I think he definitely says this - just in more of a roundabout way :smile:
  • RacyTray
    RacyTray Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I too am using Fung's "Complete Guide to Fasting" and have found great clarity in re-reading certain passages. I've been doing it for 2 weeks and lost about 7 lbs initially. Had a cheat weekend and bounced up a bit. Sunday's food planning triggered me to review a couple of things and I realized I was not applying all the science as well as I could be. Lot's of heavy science to digest in this book!
  • Scochrane86
    Scochrane86 Posts: 374 Member
    Options
    redimock wrote: »
    I think another point that he kind of fails to hammer home, in my view anyway, is that the difference between fasting and low calorie diets is the insulin level. If you are fasting, your insulin levels are low, so you have access to fat storage, so your body does not need to alter the metabolic rate. When you are just trying to eat low calories for prolonged periods of time, your insulin level is higher, so you don't have access to those fat storages, so instead of burning fat, your body needs to compensate by lowering metabolic rate. I think he definitely says this - just in more of a roundabout way :smile:

This is very true! Fasting allows us to keep our insulin in check, low calorie is still likely including many carbs or other insulin spiking foods, and that is where "starvation mode" can happen.

I agree with reading the book over again.