Is it worth it?

Options
EryOaker
EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
The membership that's fifty bucks to upgrade the mfp app, is it worth it? Is it helpful for low carb tracking?

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    50 bucks...?

Think to yourself: What could I spend that money on right now, that would serve me better and be more useful?

In my opinion, no.

Where is your money going?
    What is it funding?
    Whose pocket is being lined, and why?
    For what purpose?

I'm not suggesting anything sinister, ulterior of secretive.
    I just like to know if I'm paying for something, where my money is going.

If I can't see where it's going - or it's not explained to me - then my money's staying in my pocket.
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I coughed up the $ for the premium thing. There was one feature I wanted to use. Spent the money, and then found the feature didn't work that well, wasn't as customizable as I expected, and ended up not using it anyways.

I can't think of anything that premium does for you w/r/t low carb that you can't already do anyways for free.

I certainly won't renew when the year's up. In the meantime I will enjoy not seeing adverts, but IMHO it's not worth it.
  • bametels
    bametels Posts: 950 Member
    Options
    Steph_Maks wrote: »
    In the meantime I will enjoy not seeing adverts, but IMHO it's not worth it.

I use a free pop-up blocker to avoid advertisements without paying a fee.

• DietPrada
    DietPrada Posts: 1,171 Member
    Options
    I paid for a year - $65 here in Australia. Mainly because you can set your macros at exact grams rather than being forced to use % at 5 increments. And also because now I've paid for it for a year, I have to use it for a year, I'm committed to it. Is it worth it? I don't think it is, really. I mean I still get high carb garbage on my news feed (sent an email to MFP complaining about it and they told me technically they are "blog" entries and not "ads").
  • Violet_Flux
    Violet_Flux Posts: 481 Member
    Options
    I mean I still get high carb garbage on my news feed (sent an email to MFP complaining about it and they told me technically they are "blog" entries and not "ads").

You should be able to turn that off in the settings. Look for the news feed settings, there's a bunch of things you can turn off. I know I went through it at one point and shut down a lot of things, and I don't get those "blog" entries anymore.
  • KateTii
    KateTii Posts: 886 Member
    Options
    I've been using MFP for nearly 2 years now on free and have just bought premium. For me, the cost wasn't a lot (considering i'll happily spend that much on a new gym shirt) and to be able to set carbs to the right number was worth it. I also like the carb/protein/fat breakdown for each meal shown directly in the diary. Will I buy it again? Well, i've got 11 months to figure that out. Even if I hate it, the way I see it is $65 (Australian) is a good price for what will be 3 years of using this app.
  • FIT_Goat
    FIT_Goat Posts: 4,224 Member
    Options
    I am not against spending money for something I find useful. Heck, I just spent ~$400 for an online course that I believe will benefit me. I still don't think I would spend it for the premium. I just don't see the benefit. Maybe if I logged more, maybe if I cared about macros, there are a lot of maybes.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    CRZYFTM wrote: »
    The membership that's fifty bucks to upgrade the mfp app, is it worth it? Is it helpful for low carb tracking?

Tip - If you sign up to be a beta tester, you get a code for a free month of premium when you provide feedback. Easy, cheap way to give it a test drive.
  • EryOaker
    EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    CRZYFTM wrote: »

Tip - If you sign up to be a beta tester, you get a code for a free month of premium when you provide feedback. Easy, cheap way to give it a test drive.

And how do you do this?!?