Sucralose

Options
Sara3434
Sara3434 Posts: 48 Member
Is sucrolose a super bad sweetner to have on keto/low carb. I keep reading mixed reviews so thought I'd ask the lovely people here

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    some people will react to it with an insulin spike same as they would for sugar, other people do not...for me it doesn't seem to matter...when my mother does low carb it always kicks her out of ketosis...this is one you probably need to test for yourself to know for sure
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    I'm diabetic and don't seem to have any problems with sucralose - but only in liquid form (little yellow bottle), since the powders tend to be spiked with keto-hostile junk like dextrose and/or maltodextrin.

But I only use it if I don't have liquid stevia/erythritol blend (little green bottle) with me.

If it's sucralose vs. aspartame, I'd always go with sucralose.
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I know a lot of people who use it without issue. Others have insulin spikes. One lady on here has an inflammatory reaction to it and it caused a big weight change for her. Definitely get the liquid if you use it because the fillers in the powder will add up if you use a lot of it.

Personally I don't use it because artificial sweeteners seem to make my RA flare. I drink coffee and tea with no sweetener. I use erythritol and stevia in baking and it's in Halo Top ice cream which I eat regularly.
  • Smoked33
    Smoked33 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    No issues with it here.
  • SuperCarLori
    SuperCarLori Posts: 1,248 Member
    Options
    It's the only sweetener I use. I get it online, comes in really cool blue glass bottles with droppers. I started last June and have only used four bottles. :)
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    Everyone is different. I've tried them all and haven't had any reactions to them, except for possibly headaches related to the Equal brand. I've never really decided on that 100%, though. I found Stevia to be the same blood sugar wise as the rest so I switched back to Sweet N Low which I prefer and is cheaper.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I have posted this before, but I think it is a good fit here:

https://chriskresser.com/how-artificial-sweeteners-wreak-havoc-on-your-gut/

Sucrolose is one of the sweeteners that showed an apparent causal relationship to glucose intolerance IN MICE. Although not all things that happen in mice happen in humans, the one sweetener they did test on humans (saccharine) did show the same effect as it did in mice.

That said, the human study was very small. Sucrolose may or may not be detrimental. Personally, I have found I do best without any artificial sweeteners. I think there are 2 main reasons for me.

First, eating sweet causes, for me and many others, cravings for more sweet which can undermine the rest of this WOE.

Second, the longer I go without artificial sweeteners, the better everything else tastes. My taste bud sensitivity gets SO much better. After a few months foods not thought to be sweet, celery for instance, tastes sweet.

It is not just sweet taste that improves, but everything. I can now taste foods and do a much better job identifying what is in it. I always thought people who could say things like, "I really like the hint of _______ in that" were special. Turns out, I can do that now.

I re-introduced Diet Dr Pepper after a while thinking it wouldn't be a problem, and it wasn't so much on the first item, but it was on the second. I am now a couple weeks into dropping it again. The only downside is I decided to do it with about 4-5 cases on hand and no one else in my house drinks it.
  • Sara3434
    Sara3434 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    Thank you all, very insightful.
    I'm not using any sweetener at the moment I'm quite ok without ie black coffee, no sweet treats etc but....... I want to start using a protein shake (which contains sucrolose), I have no idea how much as it doesn't say but it sounds like it will be ok (fingers crossed)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I prefer to use stevia but use whatever is available and it doesn't seem to bother me.
  • RacyTray
    RacyTray Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    My husband and I are working hard to cut out all sugars. We been doing this for three weeks now, and my taste buds to become incredibly sensitive to anything sweet. Everything takes just too sweet. But sometimes you got to have a little something in your drink. So I put 2 Stevia plants in my herb garden. If I make a batch of tea, I just take some these leaves bruise them up a little bit and drop them in. It gets nice and sweet. The same with water. I can add the Stevia leaves, the water gets a little sweet, I can drop in a slice of lemon in my glass, and boom totally natural. Of course, the Stevia drops are much more convenient. This is just a non processed option. And really inexpensive.
  • Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I tend to stay away from artificial sweeteners since I read somewhere that they raise your insulin level just as if you were eating real sugar. So it is not a big loss considering my diabetes and everything else going on. And things do taste a lot sweeter as a result!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I like and use a variety of sugar substitutes. I prefer liquid sucralose above all others; however, I also use liquid stevia, Swerve (Erythritol blend), Just like sugar, truvia, etc. I stay away from maltitol which my body does not like and also aspartame. I would say try a few, listen to what you body is telling you about them, and stick with what works for you.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I ran across this study which has some pretty scary results regarding sucrose (ingredient in Sucrolose).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3747933/

It seems it increases BG spike when consuming sugar and increases the insulin response and reduces insulin sensitivity.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    I ran across this study which has some pretty scary results regarding sucrose (ingredient in Sucrolose).

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC3747933/

It seems it increases BG spike when consuming sugar and increases the insulin response and reduces insulin sensitivity.

Sucralose and glucose loads seem like odd bedfellows....
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    I like and use a variety of sugar substitutes. I prefer liquid sucralose above all others; however, I also use liquid stevia, Swerve (Erythritol blend), Just like sugar, truvia, etc. I stay away from maltitol which my body does not like and also aspartame. I would say try a few, listen to what you body is telling you about them, and stick with what works for you.

If it's a choice between real sugar and maltitol, take sugar any day. Maltitol is the trans fat of the sweetener world. Avoid it like the plague.
    Everyone is different. I've tried them all and haven't had any reactions to them, except for possibly headaches related to the Equal brand. I've never really decided on that 100%, though. I found Stevia to be the same blood sugar wise as the rest so I switched back to Sweet N Low which I prefer and is cheaper.

That doesn't surprise me re: Equal. Equal is aspartame, and my husband had a similar (though worse) reaction to it after he had been on his own for a couple of years and no longer consumed it (his dad is diabetic and used it in his tea all the time). He had some really weird neurological reaction to it, dizzy, loopy. It was bizarre. Suffice it to say, we haven't touched the stuff since if we can help it.

I'm not a big fan of artificial sweeteners in general, since they all have horrid aftertastes and the sweet isn't right to me. When I do use them, it's typically Stevia or, in small amounts, Xylitol. I just avoid them in general usually, though.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Very true to all those saying the taste buds change. I haven't had diet soda in months. Maybe years. It's sickeningly sweet to me now. I've drank (drunk?) fuzzy seltzer water instead (natural flavors, no sweetener at all) and much prefer it. I've looked but can't find any research that's negative for seltzer water. t2bgj04c0byo.jpg
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Wow. That's a big picture. Weird.
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    I stopped using Sucralose in January, 2015, after using it in my coffee for years. I reintroduced it six months later (in the coffee as i always had), and had unexplained weight gain! My research led to learning that the inflammation this substance can cause creates weight gains. After eliminating them again the weight dropped again (it took several weeks for this).

If I consume any, now (accidentally!) I can feel a warm sensation spread throughout my chest!

I wouldn't have realized this without eliminating it to begin with! I do recommend elimination to just see how it could be affecting you.