IF and coffee...

Options
EryOaker
EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
I'm considering implementing IF in my WoE. I already do it, kind of. My day looks like this: coffee with HWC at 8am, lunch at 1, bpc at 3 if I'm dragging, dinner at 6-7pm with a Keto dessert(usually a fat bomb type thing to get my macros where they need to be. No eating from 8pm on.

Since I have coffee with HWC at 8am, does this negate the positive effects of IF? Should I drink it black? I NEED the caffeine and warm yummieness. I've considered just having warm lemon water but again, will that not count as IF? Or is it ok, since I'm not having more than 100 calories? Those who IF on a 16/8 schedule, what do you do? Do you have anything but water in the morning? Or do you have absolutely nothing till 1?

Replies

• mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    I drink black coffee the mornings i IF. I dont consider it IF if I add HWC or anything to black coffee. I consume water with or without salt snd black coffee only during my IF.

I'm aware others consume up to a certain callorie limit during the times they IF. For me, its not fasting if im ingesting more than The 15 calories in coffee.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    If you are doing IF to help control weight and calorie consumption, then it doesn't really matter if you have cream in your coffee. If you are doing IF for other health benefits, then you are possibly negating that and stimulating an insulin response even with low calorie consumption.

I drink my coffee black most of the time, and when I do occasionally put half and half it in, I am much hungrier much earlier in the day. I don't usually let it throw off my IF schedule, but it does make it harder which is why I don't do it often.

Give it a try and see what works best for you.
  • Zuzurillo
    Zuzurillo Posts: 80 Member
    Options
    I've heard different things on this. Maria Emmerich says in her book Quick and Easy Ketogenic Cooking that anything over 50 calories will break your fast during the intermittent fasting phase. So, if you can go without your caffeine your lemon water is for sure ok if you want to go that route. I've read other resources that say if it's only "brain fuel" like Coconut Oil or MTC or the CLA fats etc... that are in Grass Fed butter, then its ok. But, I've also heard/read of people adding in collagen or hemp seeds ( Leanne Vogle's "Rocket Fuel" Coffee recipe) and drinking that in their fasting window. Maybe 3 times a week I do IF. I made up some "keto cubes" in my ice tray - (combo of grass fed butter, coconut oil & MTC melted together then poured 2T at a time into an ice tray) I pop one of those from my fridge into my blender and add in a scoop of collagen with my coffee. I'm still figuring out what keto plan/macros work for me regarding weight loss so can't comment on IF helping with that yet, but I can tell you I feel FANTASTIC after a warm yummy mug of this for hours!
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    I do a tablespoon of coconut oil in my coffee or just hwc, under 100 cals. I don't worry about it. I am in groups with lots of IFers who have full on BPC in the mornings and they seem to do well.

You are very close to IF, stop eating by 7pm, next meal at 1pm, you are at the 6 hr. eating level. Many do fine with the 8 hr. window, so you could eat til 8pm & start up at noon if you wanted to, most report good results if they don't eat 4 hrs. before bedtime. Seems to be the easiest for most people.

Good luck with adjusting.
  • EryOaker
    Options
    If you are doing IF to help control weight and calorie consumption, then it doesn't really matter if you have cream in your coffee. If you are doing IF for other health benefits, then you are possibly negating that and stimulating an insulin response even with low calorie consumption.

I drink my coffee black most of the time, and when I do occasionally put half and half it in, I am much hungrier much earlier in the day. I don't usually let it throw off my IF schedule, but it does make it harder which is why I don't do it often.

Give it a try and see what works best for you.

I have Non-alcoholic Fatty Liver Disease, and I'm doing this WoE to reverse it. I've been doing this since feb and have only lost roughly 10-13 pounds. Granted, I didn't have that much to lose to begin with. I'm 35, 5'4", 138 pounds to begin with. I got down to 124 last month, but promptly shot back up to 127...today I was back down to 125..... it seems my body doesn't want to go below 125, which isn't a bad weight! However, I still have a fair amount of fat around my middle and my back. I was a tight size 7/8 at the start and I'm now a loose 5/6.
    My goal is to see less stomach/back fat, as I'm hoping that will coincide with less visceral/organ fat. I just want to give this my all and have a lower body fat before I retest. MRIs are expensive and I don't want this all to be for not.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    information from a friend of mine dealing with nafld - just thought i'd share in case any of it is something you want to try:

16:8 intermittent fasting
    Exercise
    Get more sunlight

Eat more:
    Garlic
    Broccoli
    Asparagus
    Beets
    Celery
    Kale
    Cabbage
    Lettuce
    Cauliflower
    Probiotics (liver, sauerkraut, kimchi, etc.)
    Liver
    Eggs

Avoid:
    Dairy
    Salt
    Wheat
    Sugar

Drink more:
    Green tea
    Dandelion tea
    Turmeric tea
    Ginger tea
    Wolfberry/gojiberry tea

Supplements:
    Turmeric/curcumin (500mg daily) – can react with blood thinning medications
    Vitamin E (400 IU daily)
    Siberian Ginseng (400mg daily) – can react with diabetes medications
    Milk Thistle (280-450mg daily)
  • EryOaker
    Options
    information from a friend of mine dealing with nafld - just thought i'd share in case any of it is something you want to try:

16:8 intermittent fasting
    Exercise
    Get more sunlight

Eat more:
    Garlic
    Broccoli
    Asparagus
    Beets
    Celery
    Kale
    Cabbage
    Lettuce
    Cauliflower
    Probiotics (liver, sauerkraut, kimchi, etc.)
    Liver
    Eggs

Avoid:
    Dairy
    Salt
    Wheat
    Sugar

Drink more:
    Green tea
    Dandelion tea
    Turmeric tea
    Ginger tea
    Wolfberry/gojiberry tea

Supplements:
    Turmeric/curcumin (500mg daily) – can react with blood thinning medications
    Vitamin E (400 IU daily)
    Siberian Ginseng (400mg daily) – can react with diabetes medications
    Milk Thistle (280-450mg daily)

Thx for the info! I'm not ready to give up dairy yet but the rest I'm doing. The supplement info is great to have, I'll look into adding those in!
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    I stopped adding fat to coffee because it's pretty much the easiest way to reduce calories. Sometimes I'll use minimal half n half.
    Honestly, I'd skip hwc for a lower calorie half n half and stop bpc. If you need to make up any of those calories de to hunger or just to keep them from being too low you're better off with more nutrient dense food.
  • EryOaker
    Options
    I stopped adding fat to coffee because it's pretty much the easiest way to reduce calories. Sometimes I'll use minimal half n half.
    Honestly, I'd skip hwc for a lower calorie half n half and stop bpc. If you need to make up any of those calories de to hunger or just to keep them from being too low you're better off with more nutrient dense food.

Half and half may irritate my lactose intolerance... I'm not sure I'm brave enough for that.
  • EryOaker
    edited May 2017
    Options

Oh and I use HWC and BCP to help get my macros and calories where they need to be. Otherwise I have a hard time getting there. Again, I'm more concerned about the effect IF may have on my fatty liver disease not the number on the scale.... though those may go hand in hand....
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    CRZYFTM wrote: »

Oh and I use HWC and BCP to help get my macros and calories where they need to be. Otherwise I have a hard time getting there. Again, I'm more concerned about the effect IF may have on my fatty liver disease not the number on the scale.... though those may go hand in hand....

I think the same reason IF works for reducing liver fat is the same reason it works for reducing body fat. And in the end, it comes down to utilization of body fat for energy. Therefore, I'd provide less plate fat and opt for extra protein instead. Protein isn't going to get stored as fat in your liver.
    IF with no calories will be more effective than IF with some calories but if you cannot do it without cream in your coffee then it's still better to do it than not. Then you get a good 16 hour stretch to access liver/body fat for energy before providing it from the plate again.
    The fat macro doesn't have to be reached. It's not a goal. It's a maximum. Like carbs. Protein is a minimum.
    The more your body needs to access its own fat, the quicker your liver will have less fat.
  • EryOaker
    Options
    CRZYFTM wrote: »

I think the same reason IF works for reducing liver fat is the same reason it works for reducing body fat. And in the end, it comes down to utilization of body fat for energy. Therefore, I'd provide less plate fat and opt for extra protein instead. Protein isn't going to get stored as fat in your liver.
    IF with no calories will be more effective than IF with some calories but if you cannot do it without cream in your coffee then it's still better to do it than not. Then you get a good 16 hour stretch to access liver/body fat for energy before providing it from the plate again.
    The fat macro doesn't have to be reached. It's not a goal. It's a maximum. Like carbs. Protein is a minimum.
    The more your body needs to access its own fat, the quicker your liver will have less fat.

Thank you!!! I'm going to go with black coffee this morning! I'll do this (IF) for two weeks and see what results I get. Right now I'm hovering around 125-126 without dropping lower. I've been stuck for almost a month. Hope this gets me past my plateau!