Pilates?

Options
Calvin2008Brian
Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
Who are my Pilates peeps? What do you like/dislike. Any thoughts on Pilates vs yoga vs tai chi?

I'm getting an introduction to the Reformer in physical therapy sessions, and thinking this might be something to stick with.

Replies

• 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,482 Member
    Options
    I've done Pilates for years. Did a Reformer session this morning. Dabbled in yoga & Tai Chi.

There's a meditative quality in tai chi & yoga that's not part of Pilates. Frankly there's a vibe in most yoga classes that doesn't work for me. But I have found a yoga class in my neighborhood on Saturday that I've been attending. It's sort of non yoga yoga.

I look at Pilates as sort of a physical therapy session. There are "classic" routines but I have so many limitation , my teacher has to make a lot of modifications. I've gotten a lot of benefits from Pilates. What I don't like about it is it's frequently hard to do and expensive.

I can go to a Tai Chi class here in Key West for $10, Yoga $15-20. Pilates $35-65 depending if I'm alone or have a workout partner. I think my studio has a mat class for less $, but it conflicts with Pickleball.

I've got a lot of time in Pilates but it has not given me abs of steel. It has however saved my back. Back pain was why I got in in the first place. Pilates is rather subtle. It takes time to make progress.
    Hope this helps.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,232 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Never tried Pilates, one son got into Yoga and I promised to try it. One class in January 2016 let me know I needed to drop some more Lbs to get up off the floor! I may give it another try when I get below 200.
    Today was my fifth of eight Intro to Tai Chi lessons ($60) I'm enjoying it and learning something new is fun too.
  • RedSassyPants
    RedSassyPants Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    Love Pilates.
    The way I explain the difference to people in the gym
    - Yoga is going to work on flexibility, Focus, Hip opening, balance etc
    - Pilates PRIMARY focus is on the Core.
    They have many classes available (PIYO, Centergy, YogaLatis) that combine the two

Pilates did wonder for my lower back
  • Calvin2008Brian
    Calvin2008Brian Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    Thanks, all. Just what I was looking for.
  • Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    Options
    Love Pilates.
    The way I explain the difference to people in the gym
    - Yoga is going to work on flexibility, Focus, Hip opening, balance etc
    - Pilates PRIMARY focus is on the Core.
    They have many classes available (PIYO, Centergy, YogaLatis) that combine the two

Pilates did wonder for my lower back

I agree with this. I do yoga a lot of active rest days to help my body recover. Pilates is definitely not a rest day activity and my core is burning at the end of it!