Which 10k Plan?

Options
kiekie
kiekie Posts: 289 Member
I'm 2 weeks post-C25k and have signed up for a 10k on September 15. I'm currently using the Zen Labs C210k app and have skipped over the 5k bit.

I want to make sure I'm using the most efficient programme so I have a good race in September and I'm a little concerned that this app focusses on time rather than distance.

Also, it's the same kind of workout each time when I hear a lot about the ideal plan incorporating easy, tempo, speedwork, long runs etc.

Am I worrying over nothing? Has anyone completed this plan and successfully reached 10k in that time?

The other plans I've looked at are Hal Higdon's Novice 10k
http://www.halhigdon.com/assets/_legacy/10ktraining/10knovice.pdf

And the Runner's World Smart Coach, which includes the easy/tempo/long etc.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Replies

• timeasterday
    timeasterday Posts: 1,368 Member
    Options
    I don't know what the C210K plan is like but you can't go wrong with Higdon's plan or Smart Coach. Anything that gets you out running progressively longer distances is good. I prefer a tempo/intervals/long run schedule each week but really the long run is the key run of the week and the other stuff is great for building speed, VO2 max, etc. but not necessary for someone building up to their first 10K.

I'm now a big fan of the FIRST method of training from the book "Run Less, Run Faster." You can plug in a race time (or your most recent 5K training time) and it will spit out a training schedule based on pace. See here:

http://www.firstrunningcalculator.com/first-10k-calculator/
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I did the Active C25K then started Active's 5K-to-10K but also decided I'd rather focus on distance instead of time, so I switched to Hal Higdon's novice 10K plan. I was able to easily tweak it to fit my current routine. So far I'm really liking it.
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    I did the Active Coach plan and really enjoyed it. However, I did it for a 5k (because I didn't think I'd have time to build up to a 10k) and then noticed that it had me running for 6 miles as my long run. So I signed up for an actual 10k, because why the hell not?
  • TyFit08
    TyFit08 Posts: 799 Member
    Options
    I am currently doing RunDouble. It is the same app I used for C25K
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    I'm doing the RunDouble 5 to 10k program, but I'm running into problems with time. Due to work, family problems, and personal commitments, I'm finding it really difficult to find a one hour block of time to run on Monday through Thursday. I can get my runs in on Friday, Saturday, and/or Sunday most weeks.

Assuming that on two of the Friday, Saturday, Sunday days I can run two days of the RunDouble 5 to 10k program or the equivalent (I ran an actual 5k race this weekend), does anyone have a suggestion for one or maybe two short runs for during the Monday through Thursday period? I'd like them to be no more than 30 minutes including the warm up and cool down, so that's 20 minutes of running.

I can usually get some body weight strength training in on most days and I try to get some yoga in and I own a recumbent stationary bike and a Wii, but I'd like to get a run in at least three days per week.
  • PinkNinjaLaura
    PinkNinjaLaura Posts: 3,202 Member
    Options
    I'm doing Hal Higdon's novice 10K plan, which goes by distance instead of time. Week 1 you run 2.5 miles the first day, 2 miles the second day, and 3 miles the third day. Week 2 is 2.5 miles, 2 miles, 3.5 miles. You build for 8 weeks, but days 1 and 2 are always the shorter runs (in week 4 day 1 bumps up to 3 miles for the rest of the program but day 2 always stays at 2 miles), so I do those Mondays and Wednesdays when I have to fit it in before work, and then I leave my longer runs for Saturday when I have all day. Mondays & Wednesdays I also strength train after work, Tuesdays I take a class (Pilates or Zumba), Thursdays I strength train after work, Sundays I cross-train, and then Fridays are my rest days.
  • btsinmd
    btsinmd Posts: 921 Member
    Options
    Thanks. It sounds like just running for 20 minutes one or two time during the Monday through Thursday period should be enough to offset my weekend warrior problem. Thanks again.
  • kiekie
    kiekie Posts: 289 Member
    Options
    Sorry for not getting back to this thread, I've not been on the boards as much lately.

Thank you for all your responses. I actually got bored of feeling I had more in me after the C210k app had finished and just went for it one evening. I managed 10k in 1hr 3 mins with one minute walk break half way through and one minute at 7.5k.

I'm now doing the Smart Coach programme and have 6 weeks to improve before my 10k race. :)
  • likitisplit
    likitisplit Posts: 9,420 Member
    Options
    Yay, you! My actual pace for my 10k was 1 hour, 8 minutes, which was about the 30th percentile. A lot of the people around me took walk breaks during the race too.