Celiac Testing - Results Question

Options
KnitOrMiss
KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
So oddly, I was tested for this back in 2014, but I was just told negative. I never looked at the numbers as they were in an odd note form not standard for my lab results viewing portal. I know that having little to no antibodies is good, but in trying to interpret these, it looks like it says it was a good result IF IgA is SUFFICIENT, but that total serum number shows to be at the very bottom of the range. I'm not going to redo this test or anything, I was just wondering if any of y'all gluten sensitive or Celiac diagnosed folks had more info...

PROMETHEUS CELIAC SEROLOGY:
  DEAMIDATED GLIADIN PEPTIDE AB, IgG: <0.4 EU/ML (<4.9)
  DEAMIDATED GLIADIN PEPTIDE AB, IgA:  0.2 EU/ML (<6.1)
  ANTI-HUMAN TISSUE TRANSGLUTAMINASE, IgA: <0.1 U/ML (<10.3)
  ANTI-ENDOMYSIAL IGA IFA:  NEGATIVE  (NEGATIVE)
  TOTAL SERUM IgA: 46    MG/DL    (<3 YEARS: 8-220)
                                  (3-13 YRS: 41-395)
                                  (>13 YRS: 44-441)

SEROLOGICAL MARKERS FOR CELIAC DISEASE WERE NOT DETECTED.

CELIAC DISEASE IS VERY UNLIKELY IF PATIENT IS ON A
GLUTEN-CONTAINING DIET AND IS IgA SUFFICIENT.

Thanks in advance!

Replies

• tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    You must be on a gluten-containing diet for antibody (blood) testing to be accurate.

The tTG-IgA test will be positive in about 98% of patients with celiac disease who are on a gluten-containing diet. (so you can have it and still test negative)

more interpretation here:mayomedicallaboratories.com/interpretive-guide/?alpha=G&unit_code=89029

I've never been tested, but I know wheat and gluten containing products give me migraines, so I just avoid them.
  • KnitOrMiss
    Options
    This testing was done a few months before I started low carb, and I knew that I had to be consuming regular amounts of gluten at the time of the test, and I was compliant.

Mainly I was wanting to know what a low serum IgA number represented...
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Basically? It means that if you react to gluten or grains, it's not triggering tTG-IgA.

Regarding the "IgA is sufficient" piece, autoantibodies are suspected to have nonpathological role in the body, though not much seems to be known exactly what that role is. I suspect that those bottom numbers are the bottom end of an average of people known to not have Celiac and that below those numbers may indicate some type of immune suppression, but I'm not totally sure on that front.

For what it's worth, this is the issue I deal with. My numbers were about as low as yours and the genetic marker test came up negative, but I've got a spreadsheet showing the progression of symptoms to something in a grain-containing diet.

As my endo put it -- "if you feel better without it, then don't eat it." :)
  • Twibbly
    Twibbly Posts: 1,065 Member
    Options
    If you don't have enough IgA, you can have celiac and still test negative for it on that test.

https://www.beyondceliac.org/celiac-disease/related-conditions/iga-deficiency/
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @KnitOrMiss
    https://ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4721839/
    renegadehealth.com/blog/2016/09/01/learn-the-best-tests-for-celiac-disease-and-non-celiac-gluten-sensitivity
    Laboratories That Test For CD and NCGS
    EnteroLab – The advantage of EnteroLab’s method over celiac blood testing is that it’s done from a stool sample. You don’t need to be to be eating gluten foods for the test to be accurate.
    Cyrex – Cyrex Laboratories focuses on arrays of immune tests for food-associated autoimmune diseases, including gluten sensitivity. Most of Cyrex’s tests are performed from a blood sample, but some are from saliva.
    HLA-DQ Genetic Tests – All major laboratories can test HLA-DQ genes. People with two copies of HLA-DQ2 have the highest risk for CD. Because there are many variations and combinations of HLA-DQ genes, assessment gets complicated. A combination of HLA-DQ2 and DQ8 predicts CD.
    Prometheus Therapeutics & Diagnostics – This highly sophisticated laboratory offers comprehensive testing including genetic markers to determine the difference between Irritable Bowel Disease, Crohn’s Disease, and Celiac.
    GI Effects – This advanced stool test provides comprehensive information on gut health. It helps doctors determine your microbiome, if you have yeast or parasitic infection.
    IgE Wheat – Immunoglobulin E (IgE) is a class of antibodies associated with allergic reactions. When you eat wheat your immune system triggers a rapid response and you experience bloating, itching, hives, asthma, and other allergic symptoms. IgE antibodies to wheat are typically tested in a RAST panel. Immunoglobulin E antibody to gliadin, the protein in gluten that is thought to cause wheat allergy, is more specific than to wheat, and is also useful in determining if you have wheat allergy.
    IgG and IgA Food Sensitivity Tests – Immunoglobulin A and G antibodies help determine if you have delayed reactions to wheat and other foods. This group of tests is not specific to either wheat allergy or CD. Your doctor cannot make a determination of CD or NCGS with only IgG or IgA food results. You’ll need a specialized IgA antibody panel to gliadin. However, IgG food allergy tests are useful as part of the clinical determination for leaky gut syndrome or other conditions that mimic wheat sensitivity

Making Sense of Your Tests
    It’s not easy to find out how your immune system is reacting when you eat wheat. However, testing is the first step in determining if you have CD or NCGS, or another condition.
    If you suspect wheat allergy, get an IgE wheat blood test.
    If you suspect CD, get antibody screening of gliadin. If there is someone in your family who was medically diagnosed with CD, there’s a high probability that you may also be affected. Get the HLA-DQ test. Remember, not every one who carries HLA-DQ2 develops CD. Remember that celiac genetic tests are very accurate, but not perfect. Disease progression takes a variety of factors.
    If your celiac tests including gliadin antibodies and genetic markers are negative, you likely don’t have CD, but may have NCGS.
    To detect NCGS, ask your doctor to order tests from EnteroLab or Cyrex, or both. EnteroLab uses a stool sample and looks at IgA antibodies. Cyrex uses blood and saliva.
    Gluten-Associated Conditions and Tests
    Celiac Disease (CD):
    HLA-DQ profile
    Prometheus profile
    IgA anti-gliadin profile
    Non-Celiac Gluten Sensitivity (NCGS)
    EnteroLab profile
    Cyrex profile
    Wheat Allergy
    IgE RAST profile
    Wheat Intolerance
    IgG food allergy profile
    Cyrex profile
    EnteroLab profile
    Irritable Bowell and Leaky Gut Syndromes
    Prometheus IBD profile
    EnteroLab profile
    Cyrex profile
    IgG food allergy profile
    GI Effects stool profile
    CD is a complex, often highly variable disease. Some people have no gastrointestinal symptoms. At least 83 percent of people with CD are undiagnosed. It can affect the nervous system and cause debilitating disease.
    Diagnostic testing for gluten-associated disease is accurate, but it takes a doctor experienced in CD and related conditions to interpret the results. The only exception is HLA-DQ genetic testing results. If you have more than one copy of HDL-DQ2 and DQ8, you can assume that you have CD.
    If you think you have CD, or want to know if you have NCGS, don’t guess. Get tested. Work with a knowledgeable doctor to determine the best tests and the most effective healing strategy for your condition.
    Dr. J. E. Williams
    J. E. WILLIAMS, OMD, FAAIM
    Dr. Williams is a pioneer in integrative and functional medicine, the author of six books, and a practicing clinician with over 100,000 patient visits. His areas of interest include longevity and viral immunity. Formerly from San Diego, he now resides in Sarasota, Florida and practices at the Florida Integrative Medical Center. He teaches at NOVA Southeastern University and Emperor’s College of Oriental Medicine.

More info from MedScape: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10104290/medscape-medical-professionals-continuing-ed-site-celiac-disease-gluten-sensitivity-articles#latest
  • KnitOrMiss
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Yeah, I will so have to wait until my brain heals from having had upper respiratory junk all week! I've been mentally jacked all week between being sick and being on meds. I tried to read this and my brain kept HOMER-SIMPSONING, "DOH!"

But sincerest thank yous, @canadjineh for looking this all up!
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    About 1 in 20 celiacs are deficient in IgA (immunoglobulin A). It's much more common among celiacs for some reason than the regular population for some reason.

As others said, the significance of it is that if you are low in IgA, the celiac tests that are based upon IgA (in your tests it was the DGP IgA, tTG IgA and EMA IgA tests) would register a false negative even if you were a celiac.

Your IgA was almost low which could possibly affect your results a bit. Maybe.

Your DGP IgG was negative though, and your IgA based celiac tests were not elevated at all, so to me it looks like you are negative for celiac. :)

The only test missing was tTG IgG (tissue transglutaminase) and the endoscopic biopsy, but this looks like enough to be relatively sure for now.

Of course these tests do not show the possibility of non-celiac gluten sensitivity (NCGS). You may have celiac like symptoms but they are not coming from an autoimmune attack (celiac).
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    KnitOrMiss wrote: »
    Yeah, I will so have to wait until my brain heals from having had upper respiratory junk all week! I've been mentally jacked all week between being sick and being on meds. I tried to read this and my brain kept HOMER-SIMPSONING, "DOH!"

But sincerest thank yous, @canadjineh for looking this all up!

No worries... It will still be there when/if you need it <3