Muscle cramps

Options
JohnnyLowCarb
JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
I tried searching as to not repeat a subject but I could not find anything. Anyways this week I am getting bad leg muscle cramps. Is this a sodium and water and potassium? What should I do for potassium if so?

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    For me it was magnesium.
  • medic2038
    medic2038 Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    Usually calf cramps are K, but muscle twitching is from mag.
    I take a mag supplement daily, and I also use lite salt (it's NaCl+K) on breakfast/dinner.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    Try calcium the forgotten electrolyte. Calcium Citrate is easily utilized by the body. It works for lots of people with muscle cramping and twitching.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    If you keep sodium up potassium won't get too low in the first place. Magnesium will also not be wasted so easily. But I think supplementing magnesium is a great idea too but not as necessary as sodium.
    Sodium is must.
    Magnesium is a great idea.
    Potassium isn't necessary and not a good idea unless you've been tested for deficiency.

If you overdose on sodium, you'll get thirsty, pee a lot and maybe get diarrhea.
    If you overdose on magnesium you'll get diarrhea.
    If you overdose on potassium you might die. And it won't get too low if sodium is kept up anyway.
  • auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    If you keep sodium up potassium won't get too low in the first place. Magnesium will also not be wasted so easily. But I think supplementing magnesium is a great idea too but not as necessary as sodium.
    Sodium is must.
    Magnesium is a great idea.
    Potassium isn't necessary and not a good idea unless you've been tested for deficiency.

If you overdose on sodium, you'll get thirsty, pee a lot and maybe get diarrhea.
    If you overdose on magnesium you'll get diarrhea.
    If you overdose on potassium you might die. And it won't get too low if sodium is kept up anyway.

When I first started getting the leg cramps I thought it was potassium too, so I started supplementing and would get what I call a shaky heart and still leg cramps. Took magnesium and the cramp was gone, forgot to take it for a few days and the cramps were back. Been taking magnesium ever since.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I used to get horrendous leg cramps. I mean, so bad, they would keep me upright all night and in floods of tears through the pain. The sartorius muscle cramp has to be one of the worst in the world. never mind me weeping, I've seen full-grown, honed, muscled athletes cry because of it.

I tried to take anti-cramp tablets, up my water intake... nothing helped. It was truly miserable.

Gets to the point I happen to be speaking with an old school buddy of mine, who is now an assistant sports Therapist in Aberdeen, both at a gym, and for Aberdeen FC, and she recommended a litre of spring water, mixed with 1.5 tbsps apple cider vinegar and a rounded teaspoonful of bicarb of soda.
    Within 10 seconds - 10 SECONDS - of drinking a few glugs of that stuff, it goes. Cramp - goes. Gone. No more.

Bliss.

Truly, a full night's sleep worth of bliss.

Oh and btw? if you have any problems falling asleep, a grain of coarse (preferably Himalayan) salt on the tongue (about the size of a grain of rice) on turning the light out and snuggling down, makes you go to sleep like a baby.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I use topical magnesium on muscle cramps
  • kilroy02
    kilroy02 Posts: 37 Member
    Options
    Atkins advised a teaspoon of lite salt, swallow it with water. Takes them away pretty quick. Make sure it's lite salt which is salt plus potassium not salt substitute which is only potassium. Also make sure your not on any BP meds that say not to take potassium. My husband was on one and no sooner did he take the light salt he threw up.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    OP, for me it was necessary to increase my sodium intake though I don't seem to need the recommended 3000 to 5000 MG on a daily basis. I use plain old table salt or broth made from boullion cubes. I definitely need more sodium than I regularly consumed.

I also take magnesium. Just 100mg daily is sufficient to keep leg/foot cramps away. I'm not sure the magnesium is needed if I keep sodium up but my small dosage is a habit now so I continue it in my balance.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    I used to get horrendous leg cramps. I mean, so bad, they would keep me upright all night and in floods of tears through the pain. The sartorius muscle cramp has to be one of the worst in the world. never mind me weeping, I've seen full-grown, honed, muscled athletes cry because of it.

I tried to take anti-cramp tablets, up my water intake... nothing helped. It was truly miserable.

Gets to the point I happen to be speaking with an old school buddy of mine, who is now an assistant sports Therapist in Aberdeen, both at a gym, and for Aberdeen FC, and she recommended a litre of spring water, mixed with 1.5 tbsps apple cider vinegar and a rounded teaspoonful of bicarb of soda.
    Within 10 seconds - 10 SECONDS - of drinking a few glugs of that stuff, it goes. Cramp - goes. Gone. No more.

Bliss.

Truly, a full night's sleep worth of bliss.

Oh and btw? if you have any problems falling asleep, a grain of coarse (preferably Himalayan) salt on the tongue (about the size of a grain of rice) on turning the light out and snuggling down, makes you go to sleep like a baby.

I have tried literally everything recommended...EVERYTHING...to resolve this issue for me. Now, mind you I've been following this WOE since 09/01/2014 AND I STILL GET LEG/FOOT CRAMPS several times a week! I supplement magnesium, potassium and calcium. I get plenty of sodium with my food every day (bouillon cubes X 2 daily). I've tried drinking natural calm at night before going to bed, magnesium oil applied topically, magnesium soap, electrolyte drinks high in potassium. NOTHING WORKS. Or at least, nothing has worked for me yet. I'm going to try this and hope to hell that it does work for me because I'm at my wits end where this is concerned so thank you for sharing @AlexandraCarlyle! Fingers crossed...
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Normally, I'd only mix bicarbonate of soda and vinegar to bore through a clogged drainpipe, but by gum I'm sure going to try it next time a leg cramp bites!

I still get them 2-3 nights in a row every 3-4 months. No clue just why.

I can't pinpoint anything that reduced the frequency other than starting keto, continuing magnesium, and switching off Lipitor to Crestor, though the coincidence wasn't perfect. Like @ladipoet, I tried everything when I was getting them regularly, and too often the only solution was just to get up. :s
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Have you had your calcium levels checked? Electrolyte issues are the first thing to rule out with this WOE. But..., when I had my thyroid removed, my parathyroid glands were damaged and caused my calcium levels to drop I got calf cramps that had me begging for pain Meds(I was in the hospital for a week because of the calcium).
  • RalfLott
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Have you had your calcium levels checked? Electrolyte issues are the first thing to rule out with this WOE. But..., when I had my thyroid removed, my parathyroid glands were damaged and caused my calcium levels to drop I got calf cramps that had me begging for pain Meds(I was in the hospital for a week because of the calcium).

I take it blood calcium tests are pretty reliable ?? (I ask because I've read that blood magnesium and sodium tests are not always good indicators of sufficient / deficient intake.)

Thanks!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    @ladipoet , @RalfLott , it's important to get the mix right; it should taste like soda water, rather bizarrely, but with a slight tang.... Experiment with a smaller amount of water... I take 750ml water bottle, with 2 tbsps ACV, and 1 tsp Bicarb of soda. I like mine a bit stronger, but it's still totally effective.... Vinegar first, then water, then bicarb. Mix/stir, have a drink.

ETA: I use quite a bit more ACV because I brew my own, which is not quite as sharp or acidic as the commercially-bought variety. It's... 'mellower'... but it's important that you get the mix right for your tastes. if it's right for you, you'll drink it..... ;)
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,950 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Interesting.
    I was getting cramps at night. I finally figured it was a RLS component gifted to me as a new symptom of Sjogren's. I'd have RL urges which would terminate in arch cramps in my sleep! So awful. After stopping all caffeine post 2pm (much to the sadness of my bottomless coffee urge) and starting Plaquenil, they stopped. I'm still thinking it's more the caffeine than the expensive med. But the last time I tested it, insurance was a pill (:lol:) and my med supply lapsed. So I can't really be sure as both variables coincided. I don't want to experiment to find out as the cramps are hell.

All that pointless blather to say...is caffeine an issue?...she says as she sips and savors her only coffee for the day, with tears in her eyes.
  • 1thankful_momma
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

I take it blood calcium tests are pretty reliable ?? (I ask because I've read that blood magnesium and sodium tests are not always good indicators of sufficient / deficient intake.)

Thanks!

My understanding is that they are. I know that my cramps directly correlated with the test(taken every two hours) while in the hospital. I get the test done every two months now. I need to stay in the low end of the normal range. If I get in the high range, I am prone to kidney stones. It is a tightrope walk. I have been successful with having a cup of coconut milk a day and then whatever comes from my food.
    I will reiterate that the #1 cause is electrolytes, but since you both seem to have that under control, maybe consider calcium. BUT you don't want to get way more than you 'should' due to kidney stone potential. Blood test to find out where you are to rule it out would be best. I get leg cramps unless I'm right in the middle(but YMMV)
  • RalfLott
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »

Thanks!

My understanding is that they are. I know that my cramps directly correlated with the test(taken every two hours) while in the hospital. I get the test done every two months now. I need to stay in the low end of the normal range. If I get in the high range, I am prone to kidney stones. It is a tightrope walk. I have been successful with having a cup of coconut milk a day and then whatever comes from my food.
    I will reiterate that the #1 cause is electrolytes, but since you both seem to have that under control, maybe consider calcium. BUT you don't want to get way more than you 'should' due to kidney stone potential. Blood test to find out where you are to rule it out would be best. I get leg cramps unless I'm right in the middle(but YMMV)

Thanks, @food_lover16!

My electrolytes all run at the upper end of the standard range, except for sodium, which is always at the low end regardless of my consumption, hydration level etc. :/ (Magnesium I've never had tested, so I take slow-release tablets at normal doses as a precaution.)

Now I'm wondering about kidney stones.... I'll have to add it to the list if things to read up on.

Any insights on Keto & kidney stones?

Thanks again.
  • 1thankful_momma
    Options
    @RalfLott the number one cause of stones is dehydration. Since Keto can dehydrate if someone is unaware of fluid requirements, then yes. For me, I was someone who was constantly dehydrated but didn't really notice. Keto made it worse(since I let my dehydration get worse) and I got a stone.
    Was it Keto? I say no. It was my constant state of dehydration. Once I learned that, no kidney stones since.
    There is also a family history of it(which I didn't know till I got one).
    The sticky thread had a very long, and interesting thread on the subject.
    I have also recently found Ketotalk.com and see that he has a video that has some info in it. I'm guessing that is a popular question since he addressed it in his second session.

• RalfLott
    Options
    @RalfLott the number one cause of stones is dehydration. Since Keto can dehydrate if someone is unaware of fluid requirements, then yes. For me, I was someone who was constantly dehydrated but didn't really notice. Keto made it worse(since I let my dehydration get worse) and I got a stone.
    Was it Keto? I say no. It was my constant state of dehydration. Once I learned that, no kidney stones since.
    There is also a family history of it(which I didn't know till I got one).
    The sticky thread had a very long, and interesting thread on the subject.
    I have also recently found Ketotalk.com and see that he has a video that has some info in it. I'm guessing that is a popular question since he addressed it in his second session.

Great, thanks!