IF: day 4

Options
EryOaker
EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
So I've started IF (16/8).
Day 1 was ok, day two was really had, day three was nearly unbearable.... day four, I woke up with zero hunger! Of course once my husband made bacon and eggs I felt hungry, but I'm drinking my black coffee and staying strong.

Anyone else find that starting IF was hard? How long did it take to acclimate?

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    It took me a while to work up to 16/8, I could easily do 14/10, so I did that for several weeks, then slid into more fasting hours easily. Most days I am 16/8 but some it is 18/6 now.

I found going into full on fasting (1,2 or 3 days) fairly easy, since I had been doing IF for a while.
  • EryOaker
    EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    I've been doing a semi IF schedule for a while. Basically skipping breakfast except for my 100 calorie coffee with HWC. Lunch at 12, then a snack at three, and dinner at 7pm(end of eating window). So I'm now trying it without my HWC and it's been rough. Although, it's even harder on the weekend.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    I'd say give any given protocol at least 3 weeks. And since there are several versions of IF, even if at first it doesn't seem to be a good fit, I'd still consider at least a full try at one of the other versions before deciding if IF in general is something to pursue.
    And ya, weekends can be harder especially as you are getting used to it, because without work, it's easier to think about food.
  • wanderinjack
    wanderinjack Posts: 248 Member
    Options
    I worked up to 16:8 and do it most days but it's hard when traveling as I've been doing the last 1.5 months.
  • MyLovesMyLife
    MyLovesMyLife Posts: 424 Member
    Options
    I do 16:8 but we are usually done with dinner by 4 so no biggy. Takes a while to not get an evening snack.
  • RacyTray
    RacyTray Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I did 16:8 for 2 weeks and then added in a few 20:4 days. Because my husband travels for work every week, our weekends are closer to 12:12. It's what life allows. He does 16:8 while away and it helps that I have a partner doing it with me. I can do the 20:4 while he's traveling pretty easily.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I think it took me about 2 weeks to acclimate, but I'm a fan of giving anything at least a full month because acclimation times vary greatly between people.
  • noclady1995
    noclady1995 Posts: 452 Member
    Options
    Today is my first day of IF, and I did 16:8. It was TOUGH! At about 9:30am, I just looking at the clock wondering if it was noon yet! Of course, it didn't help that I woke up hungry, but I think that has something to do with that T.O.M. Curse it! I really hope I can make it through the week.
  • mmultanen
    mmultanen Posts: 1,029 Member
    Options
    IF came pretty naturally to me after eating this way for a while. Now, I often forget that I'm doing it it just happens. However, I still daily get a tummy rumble around 9am. Even if I didn't IF and I ate at 830. I think my body just expects there will be food at 9am.

So much of eating is cultural, social, and not "fueling our bodies" related I do agree that it takes a while to get those things sorted and to re-organize our food expectations.
  • ladyj22
    ladyj22 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I'm very interested in the 16:8 but I wake up at 3am and go to the gym before work and I'm afraid I'll get sick if I work out on an empty stomach.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    ladyj22 wrote: »
    I'm very interested in the 16:8 but I wake up at 3am and go to the gym before work and I'm afraid I'll get sick if I work out on an empty stomach.

Quite the opposite, apparently. Workouts are more successful when done during a fast/on an empty stomach....
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    ladyj22 wrote: »

Even before I started this WOE, I worked out fasted first thing in the morning. I've been doing it for about 15 years now. I feel better this way than when I have tried to eat beforehand.
  • EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Do you guys IE (Leangains) every day? Has it resulted in serious weight loss? I'm curious and very interested. I also read on Daily Burn that for women is 14:8. Perhaps, that's a good stepping stone.
  • ladyj22
    Options
    OK great!! Thank you!!
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    I'm doing whatever the day holds for me and trying not to stress about it, lol. Most of the time it's 16:8 but it is often 24 hr fast then a dinner then another 24 and another dinner, then back to 16 or 18 hrs. I was never a breakfast eater for most of my life - in fact I would get nauseous and puke if I ate before 10 or 11 am when I was in school (that was when I got up at 6 am). If I do occasionally eat at a regular 'breakfast' time I don't usually have a very big meal at all. I work nights, so my difficult time to 'get over' is around 2 am if I'm having a very quiet & boring patrol, or if it's stressful & busy I get tempted to eat at 5:30 am when I'm doing up my paperwork (and reliving it all, lol).
  • kirkor
    Options
    EggToni wrote: »
    Do you guys IE (Leangains) every day? Has it resulted in serious weight loss? I'm curious and very interested. I also read on Daily Burn that for women is 14:8. Perhaps, that's a good stepping stone.

Berkhan uses 14:10 for most of his female clients, but as part of his overall LeanGains program which incorporates more than just a daily shortened eating window. Many women outside of LeanGains have success with other daily ratios like 16:8, 19:5, and OMAD, and then there are the weekly protocols as an option as well.

Any weight loss will depend on your overall deficit -- it's not a function of IF in and of itself.
  • EggToni
    Options
    Thanks for the insight!
  • ladyj22
    Options
    When doing 14:10, do you still eat just 3 times a day or 4?
  • EggToni
    Options
    Hahaha - Bad at math! I meant 14:10. . . . I tried 16:8 for the first time yesterday/today and all is well. I only ate twice including a BPC for breakfast. :p
  • kirkor
    Options
    @ladyj22 number of meals doesn't matter, just getting your desired food within the window. So whatever works out best for your schedule.