Favorite book turned into movie/TV?

theowlbox
theowlbox Posts: 912 Member
Let's wake this thread back up! What is your favorite tv or movie that was based on a book (or comic book or short story, etc.) I will leave y'all to the newest stuff. POIROT. I loved David Suchet's portrayal of Agatha Christine's Hercule Poirot. It was an amazing series and is such comfort tv for me. Who knew I'd love Agatha Christie??

Replies

• lunabellz
    lunabellz Posts: 20 Member
    I'll go back quite a few years too with Centennial by James Michener. Hope I spelled it right? It was a made for TV series and was pretty close to the book. For a movie I would say Lord of the Rings.
  • theowlbox
    I'll have to look for that! I think there was a Pillars of The Earth one too. His books are so long ivr never even tried to read them. Thank goodness for audiobooks!
  • lilithsrose
    lilithsrose Posts: 752 Member
    I'm a fan of the Vampire Academy and Bloodlines series... That movie sucked though! Like, really, really badly. I was very disappointed.

I still feel pain about the Eragon movie.

I had high hopes for Miss Peregrine's Home for Peculier Children, but I was disappointed. I mean, it wouldn't have been bad if you never read the books. My fiance liked it. I just expected better from Tim Burton. The Mortal Instruments movie was the same way for me.

I do like the tv shows for Game of Thrones and American Gods (so far). I think that they're decent adaptations of the books. American Gods has quite a few differences from the book, but the feel is the same and the main points still occur. And the actors chosen are great.

• denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    The Handmaid's Tale on Hulu is amazing.
  • stacj27
    stacj27 Posts: 71 Member
    So far, American Gods is AWESOME!
  • theowlbox
    stacj27 wrote: »

Is there anything else good on Starz or should I buy it? I want to watch it so badly but I want to binge it not wait each week!
  • theowlbox
    Also, watching Lucifer on Fox tonight and I loved the Neil Gaiman comic book character it's based on. What a great show!
  • tabletop_joe
    tabletop_joe Posts: 455 Member
    Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology is a fun read. If you're into American Gods, you will enjoy it.
  • lilithsrose
    Neil Gaiman's Norse Mythology is a fun read. If you're into American Gods, you will enjoy it.

I've been wanting to read it, but I've been waiting to find it for a good price. Its so expensive for such a small book.
    theowlbox wrote: »
    Also, watching Lucifer on Fox tonight and I loved the Neil Gaiman comic book character it's based on. What a great show!

Lucifer is my favorite show right now. I haven't had a chance to read the Sandman comics, but I plan on reading them eventually. All my friends love them. I was excited when I first heard about Lucifer and found out it was based on Gaiman's character.
  • tabletop_joe
    ^ I got it from the library!
  • theowlbox
    I'm from Portland and Sandman is required reading for nerds here. All the libraries have the set and we tend to have a ton of comic options here.

I was just commenting on another thread about the Sookie Stackhouse books by Charlaine Harris. I started to watch true blood but it was hard for me to get into. Meanwhile I read the entire series, so I did like the premise. But when I heard the different ending on tv vs the book I was kind of glad I skipped the tv series.

Can I also just mention Hellboy? Ron Pearlman as Hellboy was awesome! I loved the crap out of both those movies and the first thing I'll do when I win the lottery is finance Hellboy 3.
  • stacj27
    stacj27 Posts: 71 Member
    stacj27 wrote: »

Is there anything else good on Starz or should I buy it? I want to watch it so badly but I want to binge it not wait each week!

Outlander is also really well done. It follows the books so well. Black Sails is amazing but it's on it's last season. The White Princess is OK, but nowhere near as good as the White Queen (in my opinion). I'd say to try the Starz channel on Amazon. They have a 7 day trial so maybe you can check out some of those if you like the series. I assume it would be way cheaper than a cable package! It is tough to wait, but at the same time, it's nice to have that time to really let the previous episodes sink in. Especially American Gods. This last episode was SO GOOD! It just keeps getting better!
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 11,099 Member
    Terry Brooks and his Shannara series is easily my all-time favorite series of books, in particular the Elfstones of Shannara which ranks in my top-3 all-time books. I had such high expectations going into watching the made-for-tv series, especially when I learned Terry Brooks himself was going to help with the production, but I have to say I was highly disappointed. But I'm a little jaded... I expected a good representation of the book, which the series was not. Yet as a stand-alone series for those who have never read the books, it's decent.
  • tabletop_joe
    I love the Made for TV mini series Gulliver's Travels starring Ted Danson from the late 90's.
  • theowlbox
    I love the Made for TV mini series Gulliver's Travels starring Ted Danson from the late 90's.

So the Jack Black version's not a favorite?

@tabletop_joe as a side note, I just read Gulliver's Travels (audiobook narrated by David Hyde Pierce) and A Modest Proposal for my nerd book club (we meet Saturday mornings at 8:30a if that gives you a feel for our devotion) and they were awesome. GT was equal parts hilarious and horrific.
  • theowlbox
    Anyone a fan of the Terry Pratchett Discworld options? I enjoyed Going Postal and Hogfather. Not my favorite, but still fun.
  • tabletop_joe
    @theowlbox I love it. Unlike Jack Black's career, Swift's writing still feels relevant.

8:30 am? You ARE hardcore.

I love Terry Pratchett, but I haven't read anything from the Discworld universe. It's daunting to me for some reason, and I don't know where to start. Are either of the titles you mentioned a good place to dive in?
  • tabletop_joe
    OMG I just learned there was a The Lathe of Heaven TV movie made in 1980. That hits so many sweet spots for me; I believe I suddenly have weekend plans.
  • theowlbox
    I love Terry Pratchett, but I haven't read anything from the Discworld universe. It's daunting to me for some reason, and I don't know where to start. Are either of the titles you mentioned a good place to dive in?

I think you'll never miss anything if you start from the beginning of a series, but once you read the first one i think you can read the other ones. they're not super serious even if they are thoughtful, and you can drop in and out. Once you know the gist, you can watch any of those titles. They're fun!

• jesspen91
    jesspen91 Posts: 1,383 Member
    The Princess Bride! I saw the film before I read the book and I adore both.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    @theowlbox I love it. Unlike Jack Black's career, Swift's writing still feels relevant.

8:30 am? You ARE hardcore.

I was obsessed wth Discworld when I was a teen, I think I read every one of them my library had, and I say "think" because like someone else said once you've read the beginning book (or books) the rest you can basically read anytime. I tried to read them in order but there were always titles missing so I skipped around (because I couldn't wait for them to be checked back in...I was such a dork) and also because there were just so many to choose from (I can see why it would be daunting).
  • nossmf
    nossmf Posts: 11,099 Member
    jesspen91 wrote: »
    The Princess Bride! I saw the film before I read the book and I adore both.

I LOVE the movie but can't STAND the book.
  • theowlbox
    Yeah, the book not so much.
  • theowlbox
    Also wondering how the Dark tower movie will shake out. I'm 4 books in and wonderung what will be cut and if it'll be good. Fingers crossed!!
  • denversillygoose
    denversillygoose Posts: 708 Member
    Also wondering how the Dark tower movie will shake out. I'm 4 books in and wonderung what will be cut and if it'll be good. Fingers crossed!!

I think it will be awesome. I've finished the series and I think I get where they're coming from with a lot of the "changes" from the books. It's going to make it that much more interesting. No spoilers but you'll understand when you're done.
  • theowlbox
    edited September 2017

I think it will be awesome. I've finished the series and I think I get where they're coming from with a lot of the "changes" from the books. It's going to make it that much more interesting. No spoilers but you'll understand when you're done.

I saw it and it was a solid c for me. Loved so much about it but they pared so much away that it was tough to give a crap about the characters (even Idris Elba!) and what they were doing. But I'm glad I watched it and I liked it!
    I just saw a picture of the new Hellboy played by the cop from Stranger Things, David Harbour. I just don't know how to feel about it.
  • WickAndArtoo
    WickAndArtoo Posts: 773 Member
    @theowlbox we were so excited for this movie, as my husband is a huge DT fan, and I have enjoyed the the few I've heard (long story short I jumped in mid series so need to start at the beginning-hubs listened to them on book on tape on our cross country trip). But we chose not to see it because of the terrible reviews, we would rather never see it than be disappointed. It's such a bummer, since I feel like it could have been amazing if done right!
  • ulala424
    ulala424 Posts: 35 Member
    I've always liked Sofia Coppola's adaptation of The Virgin Suicides. I think I might like it even more than the book.
  • theowlbox
    So sad that American Gods is having problems: lost their show runner, lost Gillian Anderson and Kristin Chenoweth. Both caused a huge delay and season 2 may not be here until 2019. Boo hiss.
  • lilithsrose
    So sad that American Gods is having problems: lost their show runner, lost Gillian Anderson and Kristin Chenoweth. Both caused a huge delay and season 2 may not be here until 2019. Boo hiss.

I love the Amercian Gods book and I watched the 1st season of the show. I understand the changes they made and I have no issues with them adding new characters/story because it still retains the same feel. However, I didn't really like some of the artistic choices made in the show. A lot of the scenes felt like they were from some Indie underground movie, like watching the slow burn of a cigarette and such. Just not my thing. I'm still looking forward to season 2 though.