Old(er) New York Times article

Options
sophisli
sophisli Posts: 41 Member
I found this the other day while googling: http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/20/health/20brod.html?pagewanted=all&_r=0

What I found really interesting was this line:

"Dr. Halmi, who is also a professor of psychiatry at the Weill Cornell Medical Center in New York, said she had found dieting a frequent “proximal trigger” among people with binge-eating disorder."

I can attest that this is true for me. I struggled for many countless years senselessly wasting my time on "fad" diets. I've done them all from Special K to Atkins to the Cabbage Soup Diet. Now when I encounter even the tiniest whiff of one I run in the opposite direction. I try to remind myself that 20 years of my life have not been wasted if I have learned from my failures. It's trial and error every single day but I feel much better about the direction I'm headed. I'm not walking through dense fog anymore. I can see the horizon.

Replies

• DucksandOranges
    DucksandOranges Posts: 96 Member
    Options
    I try to remind myself that 20 years of my life have not been wasted if I have learned from my failures. It's trial and error every single day but I feel much better about the direction I'm headed. I'm not walking through dense fog anymore. I can see the horizon.

What a great way of thinking about it:) Happy for you!

I have usually been set into downward spirals of bingedom when even a little bit of "restriction" of food comes into my life... The "dieting" mindset can be a dangerous thing indeed!
  • diannemary50
    diannemary50 Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    That article rings true!

But i love the part where you say " I'm not walking through dense fog anymore. I can see the horizon"
    That encourages me to keep plodding and soon I shell be saying that too!
  • sophisli
    Options
    Thanks ladies, glad I could help. :)
  • sophisli
    Options
    Same here. Restriction = going overboard.