Can your trigs be too low?

Options
stacicali
stacicali Posts: 137 Member
Between an increase in thyroid meds and low carb eating, my trigs are 38. Hdl is 80 and total cholesterol is 149. Does anyone know how low is too low for the trigs? I read that total cholesterol below 150 is associated with aggression and suicide risk. Since I'm only a point off, I'm not too worried but may put off going to the DMV until my trigs are higher.

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Check out this calculator
    http://www.thebloodcode.com/calculators/

You are in the optimal range. My TGs lowered a great deal and my HDL went up over 10 pts. 6 months into this WOE, my total is still slightly higher than 200, but I am over 65 and female so no cause for alarm there. My dr. likes my numbers a lot.

I have not heard anything about the aggression and suicide risk you mentioned.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Unlike LDL and HDL, your trigs do not count 1 for 1 in total cholesterol. That 38 only accounts for about 6.6 toward your total cholesterol. So that would make your LDL 62 or 63, right?

Anyway, there are numerous studies showing low cholesterol having negative impact on the brain from both the issue you mentioned with aggression (correlation only) and with cognition (both Alzheimer's and other forms of dementia).

That said, typically, the dangers I have seen seem to be more correlated to low HDL, which is not your issue. When eating the SAD, having low cholesterol is usually the result of having very low HDL. Unfortunately, I have not seen research on this that has separated this out. As you mentioned, it all seems to just report total.

As for the comment about the DMV, I think going there is a completely unrelated trigger for aggression and suicide. :#
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,956 Member
    Options
    I always wondered. I had low trigs (39) and high HDL (104), and wondered if me being a freak, at least in that quarter, is a bad thing.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    @baconslave and @stacicali, I would be happy to buy your lipid profiles, especially the HDL/Trig. ratios! Whew.
  • stacicali
    stacicali Posts: 137 Member
    Options
    Pay for my new windows this summer and you've got yourself a deal! ;p
    Seriously, though I think it has something to do with my increased thyroid meds, taking 2000 krill oil per day, and possibly doing more cardio. My levels have never been this good before.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    That's great! I've never heard of high trigs being a bad thing. Mine are around 50 most of the time and I thought that was good.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    all-about-lowering-cholesterol.com/low-triglycerides.html

Dec 2016 mine were at 36 and up to 75 last week. I have more energy now but not sure there is a relationship. Range seems to be 0-149 per LifeExtension lab reference number.

On cholesterol I read some meta data and for my age death from all causes were lower when the range was from 200-240.

There are a lots of different views on the meaning of lipid numbers.