Problems doing fixed firm???

Options
kjm3579
kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
I started Bikram just over one month ago and have been able to at least make some progress in all of the poses except for fixed firm. I just can't get my butt down on the floor between my feet. I found I can bend back over my feet at least part way (I saw this on a Youtube video) but when I asked about doing it that way I was told that's not how Bikram teaches it and that I would be corrected if I did it that way. Do any of you guys have (or had) this same problem? How do I get my stiff hips and knees to let me get into proper position?

Replies

• angiebirdie
    angiebirdie Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I had the same problem for about the first 1 1/2 months. How often do you go? I went about 4 times a week my first few months. I basically just tried to sit my butt in between the whole time until one day, it actually touched the floor. I wasn't able to go down right away, but for the next few classes I just sat with my butt down and then finally went for it. Once you do, it will feel amazing. Just have patience, and keep trying!
  • GloMash710
    GloMash710 Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I went to class tonight, have this same challenge and my teacher told me it's a lack of knee flexibility. She suggested sitting as low as possible and breathing into it to get a deeper stretch. She said it can take months to gain this flexibility.

Patience and practice.
  • RunningRichelle
    RunningRichelle Posts: 346 Member
    Options
    I went to class tonight, have this same challenge and my teacher told me it's a lack of knee flexibility. She suggested sitting as low as possible and breathing into it to get a deeper stretch. She said it can take months to gain this flexibility.

Patience and practice.

Totally! I still can't get my butt on the floor, and I've been practicing for months.
  • bluebird321
    bluebird321 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    It took months to get my butt all the way to the floor, then about 5 years to go all the way back (something I thought would never happen). Patience and consistency.
  • nolachick
    nolachick Posts: 3,278 Member
    Options
    not to high jack your thread, but i'm having trouble with the last pose, rabbit pose. I don't think I just don't think i'm doing it right.
    what should I be feeling? it just feels like i'm balancing on my head lol.
    I've also been having problems with awkward pose even though I never used to. my ankles kind of shake which is weird cuz it never happened before.
  • kjm3579
    kjm3579 Posts: 3,975 Member
    Options
    not to high jack your thread, but i'm having trouble with the last pose, rabbit pose. I don't think I just don't think i'm doing it right.
    I've also been having problems with awkward pose even though I never used to. my ankles kind of shake which is weird cuz it never happened before.

From what understand, in rabbit you should take the pressure off of your head by pulling back on the heals causing a tension from shoulders to feet. I noticed last night that this seemed to cause my head to just brush my mat instead of me pushing down onto my head. I can do the first position of awkward just fine, but the toe stand part, especially with the thighs together, is hard. (I'm still rehabbing from a running injury to my right ankle).
  • angiebirdie
    angiebirdie Posts: 64 Member
    Options

Try to take the pressure off your head. It took me a while to realize that too, because it usually strains my neck. But I think it's supposed to stretch your lower back. Try to close your heels together and lift your shoulders (towards the ceiling, not the floor). I'm not sure how advanced that pose is supposed to go but my instructors always stress that it's a back stretch and that it shouldn't feel like your'e balancing on your head.

In terms of awkward pose, it's the toe part that I have a difficult time. They say if you shake then that's a good sign and eventually you'll become stronger and able to do it better. I can't even balance on the balls of my feet lol.

You should also ask your teachers after class just to be sure :-)
  • MaryIM
    MaryIM Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    Be patient with yourself ... you'll get to the full expression of the pose, eventually. It may take weeks or months.