cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
upwy1qaldibm.jpg

This is how I often feel.

Replies

• baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    The weirdest look I ever got was from my millennial sister-in-law when she asked if fat is essential then how vegetarian primates survive without fat in their diet. Their gut bacteria converts the fiber into fatty acids which they then absorb. She looked at me like I had just suggested the Easter Bunny was real and lived on Mars. ugh...
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    baconslave wrote: »
    The weirdest look I ever got was from my millennial sister-in-law when she asked if fat is essential then how vegetarian primates survive without fat in their diet. Their gut bacteria converts the fiber into fatty acids which they then absorb. She looked at me like I had just suggested the Easter Bunny was real and lived on Mars. ugh...

Even the "vegetarian" primates are only mostly herbivores. They also eat small amounts of invertebrates to supplement. Insects are in the diet of all of them, I believe. Have you ever seen monkeys grooming each other? They eat the bugs they pick off of each other. That is just one example. Perhaps this would be a good resource for you to look even crazier to her:

http://www.beyondveg.com/nicholson-w/hb/hb-interview1e.shtml
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »
    upwy1qaldibm.jpg

This is how I often feel.

So true!!
    kpk54 wrote: »
    I eat low carb and strongly lean towards keto for myself. It is my choice to do so.

That said, there is always opposing points of view supported by research and scientific evidence. I tend to believe "The more you know...the more you know you don't know" versus other people are ignorant.

And amen to that @kpk54! :)
  • VioletPhoenix9
    VioletPhoenix9 Posts: 1 Member
    Options
    I eat low carb and strongly lean towards keto for myself. It is my choice to do so.

That said, there is always opposing points of view supported by research and scientific evidence. I tend to believe "The more you know...the more you know you don't know" versus other people are ignorant.

Dunning–Kruger effect.
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options

To be fair, the actual definition of "ignorance" is simply "uninformed" or "not knowing." In the case of diet, in particular, it very much is a case of sounding crazy to the uninformed people.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,958 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    baconslave wrote: »

Tell your sister in law that "herbivore" does not equate to "vegetarian." Herbivores simply eat mostly plants (which, as a result, often contain insects and whatnot on them). Vegetarians specifically avoid consuming animals. The only "vegetarian primates" are human.

You could also show her the video of a deer hunting down and eating a lizard. >:)

I won't even bother with logic. The eyes glaze over, and she flees. I want to see that video though.
    She must have Dr. Pepper (full sugar/corn syrup, not diet), Twix, and potatoes every day, or she will DIE!

I just found it super cool that their gut bacteria synthesizes the missing fat intake. The symbiotic nature of the relationship is...neat...for lack for a better word. I'm on a "microbiome" kick right now. When I have the time.

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,754 Member
    Options
    I read this book recently, interesting theory on evolution and how cooking made us the humans we are today. I really can geek out on this sort of thing.

Catching Fire: How Cooking Made Us Human by Richard Wrangham

@baconslave, any good websites found on microbiome you would like to share? Our bodies are very amazing, which I had taken better care with mine in my younger days. Thank goodness for LCHF, to correct some of that damage done.