Thoughts on Cardio

Options
elvensnow
elvensnow Posts: 154 Member
Hey all. I would like to get an idea of what most people are doing about cardio. I know the book says not to bother, that it's not necessary, that endurance training runs counter to the idea of strength training. I know a lot of people don't like cardio and so don't do it either way. And I totally agree that if it's just not something you like to do, then don't.

But I was just going back and reading on Scooby's workshop about cardio. A lot of people on the forums would say that Scooby has one of the best TDEE calculators out there, and his advice seems pretty solid. I was reading his page again today for the first time in a while and I read his section on cardio. He states that cardio is a must, that it really does help you get leaner and healthier (basing a lot of this off of RHR). He recommends trying to get at least 30-60 minutes with elevated HR a day.

Obviously doing cardio burns calories, and since my goal is still to lose weight, it would help. But I will say that my days "off" I usually don't feel like doing any cardio. I do NROLW M/W/F in the mornings. Currently only in stage 1 but on my last 2 weeks. I've been thinking about doing some cardio in the afternoons. Like C25K or something. Although I think lately my lack of energy has been just general exercise fatigue. I certainly had the energy earlier in the program. But since I'm close to the end of stage 1, I am looking forward to the week off training! I think my body is reaching it's limit.

Anyhow, my question is - how much (or little) cardio do you do? Was it in later stages, the whole time? How has your success been with or without it? And I guess I target this at people who were still trying to lose (significant) weight and not just decrease BF%.

Link to Scooby article: http://scoobysworkshop.com/best-fitness-indicator-rhr/

Replies

• indiawastaken
    indiawastaken Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I'm interested in the response to this also. Thanks for posting that link!
  • mrs_mab
    mrs_mab Posts: 1,024 Member
    Options
    In S2 you start adding in some interval training upto 20 mins on workout B. I am 211# so I have PLENTY of weight to lose, actually I will change that to FAT to lose. My goals & thoughts about "weight" & the scale have changed a lot since starting heavy lifting, but with that being said I added cardio in about mid-way through S1. I would do 3-4 exercises after lifting. For example: 50-100 speed ropes, 20 yard bear crawl, 1 minute squating punches, 1 minute jumping jacks do AMRAP for 15-20 mins. On off days, if I felt I could without hurting my muscle recovery I would just do an active recovery day like elliptical on fatburn for 20 mins or spin. If I was too sore from previous day of lifting, then I would just stretch, ice, soak & let my body/muscles recover. That is key, you just have to read your body and don't over work it. Also make sure you are staying well hydrated and getting all the protien you can to help with muscle recovery!

I should mention at 211#, I am 6' tall.
  • Miss_Meliss86
    Miss_Meliss86 Posts: 372 Member
    Options
    I'm curious to hear responses on this as well..I'm almost done Stage #1 but am also training for a half marathon in September. I signed up for the half marathon prior to starting the program and don't want to give it up. For my running training I've been doing shorter distances during the off days (at least it's what I aim to do) and then a long run during the weekend. I'm not sure if it's counterproductive, I hope it's not...
  • mrs_mab
    Options
    Miss_Meliss I don't think it's counter-productive if you feel you are getting good muscle recovery from your lifting workouts! I don't think there is anything wrong with active recovery days so long as you read your body and are letting the major muscles you worked the day before repair.
  • elvensnow
    elvensnow Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    In S2 you start adding in some interval training upto 20 mins on workout B. I am 211# so I have PLENTY of weight to lose, actually I will change that to FAT to lose. My goals & thoughts about "weight" & the scale have changed a lot since starting heavy lifting, but with that being said I added cardio in about mid-way through S1. I would do 3-4 exercises after lifting. For example: 50-100 speed ropes, 20 yard bear crawl, 1 minute squating punches, 1 minute jumping jacks do AMRAP for 15-20 mins. On off days, if I felt I could without hurting my muscle recovery I would just do an active recovery day like elliptical on fatburn for 20 mins or spin. If I was too sore from previous day of lifting, then I would just stretch, ice, soak & let my body/muscles recover. That is key, you just have to read your body and don't over work it. Also make sure you are staying well hydrated and getting all the protien you can to help with muscle recovery!

I should mention at 211#, I am 6' tall.

Another question to you and others looking to lose weight - do you eat a deficit? Do you do what the book says or calculate your own? Sort of related.

And yeah I mean I'm not too concerned about scale weight other than I do have fat to lose, and staying at 185 lbs isn't going to work. If I take my BF% now (35% measured by BI and basing off estimates), and my target would be somewhere around the 25% mark, then I "should" weigh 160 if I keep my LBM. I might lose some LBM though so let's say my goal should be around 150, or maybe my target BF% is too high. My ticker says 145, a girl can dream :)

I know there are intervals added in eventually, and I guess it sort of counts but in my mind intervals aren't what I typically think of as "cardio" where I usually think steady state endurance. The kind of cardio that helps to reduce your RHR. The intervals might be enough though, but I was thinking more along the lines of adding some 30-60 minute jogs to my daily routine. And was just wondering if anyone has done this, and has had success with it.

Thanks for the info though :)
  • sclaibo
    sclaibo Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I try to do cardio on my off days by generally staying active. for instance, I would ride my bike to work on off days or do an at home video. However, I don't make it as much a priority as I use to. I too am at 185 (5'7) and I am really trying to concentrate at eating at a deficit, but not too much at a deficit. I follow what the book says and I try to eat very close, yet under my TDEE for lifting and non lifting days. Actually, I don't eat more on lifting days and I've stopped eating after 7. I know some people say when you eat doesn't matter, but I am really noticing a difference. I hit a plateau in my weight loss (and loss of inches) so this is my first attempt to jump start it again.
  • mrs_mab
    Options
    No, I do not eat at a deficit. When I initially stated back with my fitness goals in March, I was eating 1200-1400 and just doing "cardio". When I started lifting there was no freaking way I could eat at that, my stomach would be rumbling non-stop! I upped to 2000 eating 5-6 small meals a day (still struggle getting all my protein in @ 211# that's a butt load of protein!) IMO, 15-20 mins of HARD intervals or HIIT (like CrossFit style workouts) burn twice as much fat as 30-60 mins of cardio any day of the week! I will always chose 15-20 mins of intervals or HIIT unless I am too sore from lifting, then I will go the easy route with 30 or so on the elliptical or spinning.

Check this out...........

http://stronglifts.com/cardio-fat-loss-hiit-vs-long-duratio-cardio/

Best of luck for whatever you decide is best for you.:happy:
  • M00NPYE
    M00NPYE Posts: 193 Member
    Options
    bumpity bump...
  • TriLifter
    TriLifter Posts: 1,283 Member
    Options
    I'm a marathon runner but also lift heavy. Haven't started NROLFW yet (just ordered it and am waiting for it to come in), but I've done StrongLifts 5x5. I eat at my TDEE and keep my protein intake above 1g/lb of LBM.
  • mrs_mab
    Options
    I'm a marathon runner but also lift heavy. Haven't started NROLFW yet (just ordered it and am waiting for it to come in), but I've done StrongLifts 5x5. I eat at my TDEE and keep my protein intake above 1g/lb of LBM.
    Lord, how do you get all your protein in! It's killing me, I think if I got all my grams of protein in I would go over on my calories every day!
  • granitendirt
    Options
    My thoughts on this.... Please remember this is all from personal experience; I think when in doubt go with what the experts (ie, the guy who wrote the book) say.

I love to run, and I have a history of running. So, I still get in 3-4 runs per week. I don't feel like they're interfering with my recovery. I did make a commitment to this lifting program, so if I only have time for one activity, I will lift. Besides liking it, I am in it for the added benefit- more calories burned. I also am on an ultimate frisbee team, so I need to keep my running fitness up for that.

Regarding how much I eat: I did all of the calculations found in the book and discovered that I should eat 2200 on non-lift days and 2300 or so on lift days. I use these numbers as a rough guide, although I think that, averaged out, I've been eating right at that amount for weeks now (since starting the program). I'm still losing weight because I was eating a lot more than that before (which is why I got fat).
  • MyOwnSunshine
    MyOwnSunshine Posts: 1,312 Member
    Options
    I have always started my NROL workouts with a 1 mile warm up run on the treadmill and ended them with HIIT.

I am working through Supercharged now and am trying to slowly recomposition. I work 3 12-hour shifts a week with a 45 minute one-way commute, so I can't fit a workout (besides some wake-up yoga) in on those days, so I combine my strength and cardio to 3 90-minute sessions.

I am considering the idea of splitting my workouts and doing a 30 minute run in the mornings and a 60 minute NROL workout in the afternoons twice a week, with a Stronglifts-type of workout once a week and one longer run. I may try it and see how it goes.

My best advice is to try it one way and see if you like it, and continue to evolve and make changes in your routine. There isn't any one right answer. Try it and see.
  • stef_monster
    stef_monster Posts: 205 Member
    Options
    I do cardio 5 or 6 days a week, for at least 30 minutes. On days I lift, I do 30 minutes on the elliptical. It has a few pre-set workouts, and I always do the one that challenges me most (2 mins high resistance, 2 mins slightly less, 2 mins very low resistance, repeat 5 times). I do it before I lift to get warmed up and 'earn my dinner' since before I exercise in the evenings I've rarely got enough calories left (I'm on a 250 deficit). I've tried doing it after lifting, but those 6 minutes of high resistance on the elliptical nearly kill my leg muscles after lunges and step-ups.

On days I don't lift, I either do 30-45 minutes on the elliptical or 30 minutes plus a kickboxing workout. Weekends are usually some combination of body-weight circuit training, kickboxing, and bellydancing. I usually burn about 300-400 calories per cardio session according to my FitBit.

The numbers that FitBit gives me are more or less in line with what the book says, so I usually go with FitBit since it's with me all the time. I feel like the cardio doesn't really interfere with my recovery. I've been striving to keep my protein up, so I think that's helping, too.