Beginning runner

Options
ristinadurivage
ristinadurivage Posts: 18 Member
So I want to do this Beast on the Bay which is a version of the Mud Run only for charity here in PA. It's 10 miles with obstacle courses. I've only ever trained with the old high carb low fat. How does your eating compared now? Probably not carb load day before anymore. I have worked out fasted before but only for no more than an hour and it was easier than running. Any insight?

Replies

• canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Christopher Kelly is a great resource for serious training in keto. I'm on my tablet at work so I won't link but Mr.
    Google can help.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    Also look up Zach Bitter. He is an ultra marathon runner who switched to keto with great success including setting multiple course records.

From a research standpoint you can look up the FASTER study be Jeff Volek. You may not be able to get the actual study but should be able to find articles about it.

Finally, SALT!!!!! Have at least 1000mg about 30 minutes prior to that run followed by 12-16 oz of water right before starting the run.
  • macchiatto
    macchiatto Posts: 2,890 Member
    Options
    On race days now that I'm keto, I eat my normal breakfast (usually coffee w/about 30 ml HWC, or 20 ml HWC and 8 ml MCT oil when I have it plus 2-3 eggs and possibly 1-2 strips of bacon) and also have some of the low carb "gatorade" before and after the race.
  • rungirl1973
    rungirl1973 Posts: 2,559 Member
    Options
    I'm curious what others do. I run half marathons and marathons on the regular. I ran 5 full marathons last year and 2 so far this year.

In general, I eat my normal diet before the race - both the days and weeks leading up to it plus the morning of the race. But, then I find myself eating those icky Gu packets during the race. I don't know if I really need them, or if it's just a habit. Maybe I'll try skipping them for this Saturday's half and see what happens... I'll report back here.
  • Just_Eric
    Just_Eric Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Please do report back. I'm hoping to get to lengthier runs later this year, and I'd love to hear your experience.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    Options
    Just_Eric wrote: »
    Please do report back. I'm hoping to get to lengthier runs later this year, and I'd love to hear your experience.

Me too. I'm training for a marathon and am used to using gels when I go above a half. I'm running around a half on my long run now and not using anything (and just trying to feel 100% normal again, since this is a new adjustment), but I've been wondering what I should expect for the marathon and if I should use them as I increase my runs (as well as whether I should try carbs the morning of).
  • ristinadurivage
    ristinadurivage Posts: 18 Member
    Options
    Awesome! Thank you so much for the info so far.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    I'm curious what others do. I run half marathons and marathons on the regular. I ran 5 full marathons last year and 2 so far this year.

In general, I eat my normal diet before the race - both the days and weeks leading up to it plus the morning of the race. But, then I find myself eating those icky Gu packets during the race. I don't know if I really need them, or if it's just a habit. Maybe I'll try skipping them for this Saturday's half and see what happens... I'll report back here.

Try the UCAN superstarch. Doesn't make you feel sick like the Gu packs and won't spike your insulin shutting down fat metabolism (from what I've read). I've done just a few 5ks after a 20-hr fast and had zero problem doing that (I know that is a very short race) with one scoop of the stuff. I've bonked a number of times at about a 35-40 min run after a 20-hr fast without taking it so I know it helps me quite a bit with longer duration runs (I'm not as fat adapted as a lot here since I do not do keto full time). Last Monday, I hiked in the mountains for about 3-hrs (some steep climbing and I ran some of it) in the morning while fasted except one scoop of the UCAN and had no problems at all. I'm pretty sure I would have bonked without taking it since I've tried that a couple of times without it before and I think I remember having problems going that long in the mountains while fasted. I can also lift heavy after a 20-hr fast if I take that and I will bonk every time without taking it after a fast that long.