Options
Gerkenstein
Gerkenstein Posts: 315 Member
I joined this group yesterday, but I'm hoping there may still be some active members around. I've been smoking for about 5 years, around a pack a day (some days less, some days more). I am making myself and my health the first priority in my life, so that includes quitting smoking. I've owned the Alan Carr book "The Easy Way to Quit Smoking" for several months and I haven't even read the first page. I know you can smoke while reading the book...I'm afraid of what happens or what I have to do when I'm done reading the book.
I started smoking casually when hanging out with friends when my dad died 5 and a half years ago, then I became a regular smoker. I learned within 6-8 months after my dad died that I was suffering from PTSD, depression (which I've struggled with on and off throughout my life), and severe anxiety. While I have good medication that helps me regulate my anxiety, I still rely on smoking to help "take the edge off," so to speak...not to mention I'm addicted so the entire concept of control is an illusion.
I want to quit smoking, but I'm terrified of losing this crutch that I have come to rely so heavily on to cope/manage my anxiety. But I need to quit. Would like to do it by August of this year. Any and all support and encouragement would be greatly appreciated.

Replies

• jrusso28
    jrusso28 Posts: 249 Member
    Options
    My best advice would be to quit cold turkey. I have been a smoker since high school and am in my forties now. I have quit a few times in the past for extended periods. (5 years, 3 years) I ended up going back to it each time because of some high stress event in my life like divorce. I had tried the patch, nic gum, e-cigs, etc and none of those things work for me like just picking a day and going cold turkey. The first few weeks are the toughest but take it minute by minute. Cravings always pass within 3-5 min. On the first day, wash all your clothes that even remotely smell of smoke. Throw away your lighters. Clean out your car and get air fresheners so it doesn't smell like cigarettes in there. Buy some gum so your breath is fresh. You will have some rough nights, can't sleep, sweats, anxiety, but they all pass. When it gets hard I repeat this to myself... I'm stronger than this, I will beat this and I am worth it. I want a healthy future, & I want to be there for my family. These help a lot. The next thing I found helpful is checking the progress I am making each day. I have an app on my phone called Smoke Free, it tells you all the milestones you've achieved. Get something like it or just research it on the internet to get the details. Things like when your pulse rate gets back to normal, oxygen levels in your blood, carbon monoxide levels, breathing, circulation... All things that are important to me. I know from experience that each passing week gets easier so keep looking forward. I wish you the best of luck.