Calling on the vets of LCHF!

Options
EryOaker
EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
edited May 2017 in Social Groups
Saw this today.. those of you who are well read/educated on LCHF, what is your take on this "study"?

https://craigcameron.us/diet/a-high-carbohydrate-diet-for-fatty-liver-disease-and-diabetes/

Replies

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    CRZYFTM wrote: »
    Saw this today.. those of you who are well read/educated on LCHF, what is your take on this "study"?

https://craigcameron.us/diet/a-high-carbohydrate-diet-for-fatty-liver-disease-and-diabetes/

I would not use use this inane article to clean my chamber pot.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Chamber pot? I just knew you had refined tastes...!

Yes, that article is risible, to be kind. And I'm not even strictly speaking, by any definition, a 'vet'! (Although I AM a Dog Behaviourist - does that count...? :D )
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    eyvkilqawxxw.jpg

>:) or o:)
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,576 Member
    Options
    Has anyone actually found a link to the original Yale study? The source link at the end was just a link to a different version of the same article. I understand the recommendations from 1991 made by the Diabetes Association and all, but I want science, and I want to know who funded the study.
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    Has anyone actually found a link to the original Yale study? The source link at the end was just a link to a different version of the same article. I understand the recommendations from 1991 made by the Diabetes Association and all, but I want science, and I want to know who funded the study.

If you look at that other article, you can click on a link to the Yale study. I searched in it for the word "carbohydrate"and found but one occurrence. There was no extended moralizing about eating more carbs to eradicate NAFLD and T2D.

I suspect the crappy pop press article cited by the OP was simply a piece of disingenuous clickbait screaming a proposition many T2Ds would be only too happy to hear. (Thus the chamber pot.)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I think this is it.
    http://www.jci.org/articles/view/86013/pdf

I don't have the brain power to read this well, meaning translate it, this morning.

This stuff interests me as an overactive liver is my main problem. My FBG is almost always my highest of the day. I don't know if a high carb diet is my answer though. Based on my n=1 experiments, my FBG is lowest when I eat as few carbs as possible (I am doing meativore May and my numbers are down below my usual 6's) and if I restrict calories. If I eat a lot, or heaven forbid I eat a lot with lots of carbs, by BG is a mess.

I think there is a minority out there who will respond great to an Ornish or Pritikin style of diet, but I don't appear to be one.... Plus I am not a mouse. I think mice might do better with a higher plant diet than many people.

I'll come back to this another time when my brains is working better. :)
  • EryOaker
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    CRZYFTM wrote: »

I would not use use this inane article to clean my chamber pot.

I agree with you. Someone sent it to me, because I'm doing Keto/LCHF to treat my NAFLD. It seems like food-industry propaganda to me....
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I have read many sources that say about 25% of the world's population can eat grains and other high carb food sources without issues but the other 75% will have issues with some, maybe not all of those same foods. I know Dr. Sears, the guy who took a lot of beating from the medical establishment back in the 90s when he came up with the Zone. I did well on the Zone for a few years, lost weight quickly, felt great, etc. But then I went through a total life change and didn't get back on the plan, so that is when I gained back all the weight I had lost and gained even more. I am in that 75% that can't eat most carbs. I have learned that dried fruits, potatoes, grains in general are not my friends.

I do not have a fatty liver, but DH was told he did about the same time he was told he has T2D, as he cut back on the carbs, the next exam, he was told he is back to normal, but they would continue to monitor. There was only about 3 months between those tests, so it can help to go LC for sure. Oh and Megan Ramos told her story in the 2ketodudes podcast, she was 9 yrs. old when she got the diagnosis. She has a perfectly fine liver now.

Hope you get a better report on your next test.
  • EryOaker
    Options
    I have read many sources that say about 25% of the world's population can eat grains and other high carb food sources without issues but the other 75% will have issues with some, maybe not all of those same foods. I know Dr. Sears, the guy who took a lot of beating from the medical establishment back in the 90s when he came up with the Zone. I did well on the Zone for a few years, lost weight quickly, felt great, etc. But then I went through a total life change and didn't get back on the plan, so that is when I gained back all the weight I had lost and gained even more. I am in that 75% that can't eat most carbs. I have learned that dried fruits, potatoes, grains in general are not my friends.

I do not have a fatty liver, but DH was told he did about the same time he was told he has T2D, as he cut back on the carbs, the next exam, he was told he is back to normal, but they would continue to monitor. There was only about 3 months between those tests, so it can help to go LC for sure. Oh and Megan Ramos told her story in the 2ketodudes podcast, she was 9 yrs. old when she got the diagnosis. She has a perfectly fine liver now.

Hope you get a better report on your next test.

Wow! Thanks for taking the time to type all this! I have been on LCHF for a little over three months now. I have decided to wait for my MRI because I was afraid that three months wouldn't be long enough to show positive results. It is nice to know that your husband fixed it in three months! The testimony of others, who've reversed their liver disease, give me hope and motivation! Thanks again!