plateau already?

Options
Hi everyone! So i'm back again, I did low carb two summers ago and was very happy with the weight loss and success. Fast forward to this year when i really need to start again. So last week I wasn't too strict on under 20 but I was definitely more away what I was eating and tracked every morsel. I lost about 4 lbs in 5 days, and I know most of that could be water weight, but now it seems that I am already gaining it back, and I am very frustrated.
Any thoughts or advice?

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    Is this your second week back? You lost 4lbs on 5 days last week and think your gaining fat back now because your scale isn't moving? Just want to make sure I'm understating you and didn't miss something.

If you want this to stick this time around Thor gonna need consistent daily effort, it's not a quick fix, though you will tend to get quick results right away from fluid loss and reduced inflammation, which is encouraging to keep going.

If your are eating before your maintenance calories you will lose fat whether the scale reflects it yet or not.
  • retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,757 Member
    Options
    Hi everyone! So i'm back again, I did low carb two summers ago and was very happy with the weight loss and success. Fast forward to this year when i really need to start again. So last week I wasn't too strict on under 20 but I was definitely more away what I was eating and tracked every morsel. I lost about 4 lbs in 5 days, and I know most of that could be water weight, but now it seems that I am already gaining it back, and I am very frustrated.
    Any thoughts or advice?

You need to keep calm, and carry on. Continue logging your meals, eat 20 g net carbs. One week is not a plateau. Sometimes you stall out for months at a time. But if you continue this WOE, the weight will come off. I started in Aug. '16, today I reached my goal weight and I am a retiree, you know one of those women who can't lose weight.

The scale lies all the time so record measurements, take pictures, and determine your fitness level. You will see changes.

This is not a diet, it is a way of life. OH and the less you have to lose, the slower it usually comes off. Water is fast, fat is slow.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    I understand the whole scale is a "liar, liar" concept but I really don't think it is. Weight fluctuates. Always. Scale weight is just one measure. That said, stick to your program. As long as you are not overeating you are not gaining body fat weight. Also 1 or 2 weeks is definitely not a plateau. Patience is needed.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    You're right that most of that loss was water. You need to also understand that equally sudden increases are also water. Water will fluctuate several pounds ALL THE TIME.

Also, I don't know how much you have to lose in total but if it's not a lot it goes pretty slow.
    If you have a lot to lose, you could just have some hormonal healing and changes going on that may slow things down for a while or may require more strict carb/calorie adherence.

Honestly, my first thought was wondering about your sodium intake.
    First few days you lost a lot of water and that means sodium/potassium too. If you haven't made an effort to supplement sodium at a minimum rate of 3000-5000mg every single day, you're likely retaining water to prevent further electrolyte loss.
    Do you have any muscle cramps, headache, fatigue or feel light headed especially upon standing?
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Any thoughts or advice?

You need to keep calm, and carry on. Continue logging your meals, eat 20 g net carbs. One week is not a plateau. Sometimes you stall out for months at a time. But if you continue this WOE, the weight will come off. I started in Aug. '16, today I reached my goal weight and I am a retiree, you know one of those women who can't lose weight.

The scale lies all the time so record measurements, take pictures, and determine your fitness level. You will see changes.

This is not a diet, it is a way of life. OH and the less you have to lose, the slower it usually comes off. Water is fast, fat is slow.

Water is fast, fat is slow. Well said. I need to make a graphic with that on it.