how fast do you run?

Options
13»

Replies

• AglaeaC
    AglaeaC Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I haven't quite mastered how to get my minutes per mile but I run anywhere between 4.5 and 5 mph... I think I'm around 13 miles per minute and it sure feels slow. But in my defense, I've got short legs! I'm only 5'3" :blushing:
    Here are some conversions that I found in a Units app:

1 km/h = 60 min/km = 0.621371 mi/h = 96.56064 min/mi
    5 km/h = 12 min/km = 3.106856 mi/h = 19.312128 min/mi
    8 km/h = 7.5 min/km = 4.97097 mi/h = 12.07008 min/mi

1 mi/h = 60 min/mi = 1.609344 km/h = 37.282272 min/km
    5 mi/h = 12 mi/mi = 8.04672 km/h = 7.456454 min/km
  • IowaJen1979
    IowaJen1979 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    I started around 12-13 minute miles. I'm on Week 8 and am down to 11 minute miles. It gets better every time I run unless the conditions are different (i.e. hilly terrain, high humidity, etc.) then I noticed I'm slower.
  • Rindy12
    Rindy12 Posts: 215 Member
    Options
    I just finished week 4 of C25K and I'm averaging 13-14 minute mile. I'm not worried about my speed at this point. My biggest goal is to be able to run an entire 5K. I work on the speed later. I do find it rather frustrating when I record my runs here that gets labeled as walking. I may be slow, but I'm definitely not walking!
  • bttrthanevr
    bttrthanevr Posts: 615 Member
    Options
    I do find it rather frustrating when I record my runs here that gets labeled as walking. I may be slow, but I'm definitely not walking!

I hated that too! They should fix that. However, once I switched to recording my runs with Runtastic and letting them upload automatically, the problem went away.

Good attitude! You are exactly right...I was running at about a 13:00 - 13:30 min pace during C25K, but afterwards I soon jumped to 12:30. Now, 4 months later, I consistently run 11:30 on my shorter 2 mile runs and even see 11:00 occasionally. 12:30 is my easy long slow 4-5 mile pace. And I'm still building out distance and haven't even gotten to speedwork yet.
  • ermer00
    ermer00 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I've been slowly edging my time up. Week 1 - averaged around a 13min/mile. I'm on week 4 and I'm just under 11min/mile. I'm tall (5'11.5) and so I'm aiming for a 10 min mile in the next couple of weeks.
  • NickeeCoco
    NickeeCoco Posts: 130
    Options
    I'm on W7 and I'm averaging at a 12 minute mile. Today I was a 11.5 minute mile. I was excited about that.
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    I'm on W3D3 and when it tells me to "walk" I go between 3.0 and 3.3 mph; when it tells me "run" (although *cough* the program told me it's a jog! Make up your mind, robotic woman!) I bump up to 5.0 mph. Dreadmill running.

Technically there's no such thing as a jog. 5.0 is pretty fast. If you "can't make it" through any days, slow it WAY down.

Thanks :) Did week 4 day 1 at 5 mph across the board and it was too much (first time having shin splints, yowch!) so days 2 & 3 I did 5 mph in the 3 minute run segments and 4.5 mph in the 5 min run segments. Shin splints slowly decreasing (trying stretching moves, doesn't seem to be doing much good frankly) but after last nights run, upon waking up this morning I have some crazy pain in my lateral shin all the way down to my 4th toe. Foot feels extra bony too. :/ Good thing I'm on a 2.5 day rest until week 5 starts where I can guarantee you I won't be doing 5 mph anymore haha :) I'll worry about speed after I'm done w/ the program!
  • NickeeCoco
    NickeeCoco Posts: 130
    Options
    Shin splints slowly decreasing (trying stretching moves, doesn't seem to be doing much good frankly) but after last nights run, upon waking up this morning I have some crazy pain in my lateral shin all the way down to my 4th toe. Foot feels extra bony too. :/

I do 15 minutes of classical ballet warm up before I run, and it works wonders to limber me up. I haven't done ballet in years and years and years, but I picked up a Jennifer Kries workout dvd for 4.99 (The Method: Pilates Target Specifics), and the "hips" workout is what I do. I feel like I'm flying when I run after doing that. No more pain.
  • jmm083
    jmm083 Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    My last run on Wed. (W5D1) was 10:47/mile doing the 5 minute intervals. Today I moved up to 13:00 min/mile for the 8 min running intervals.
  • pinkstp
    pinkstp Posts: 220 Member
    Options
    Shin splints slowly decreasing (trying stretching moves, doesn't seem to be doing much good frankly) but after last nights run, upon waking up this morning I have some crazy pain in my lateral shin all the way down to my 4th toe. Foot feels extra bony too. :/

I do 15 minutes of classical ballet warm up before I run, and it works wonders to limber me up. I haven't done ballet in years and years and years, but I picked up a Jennifer Kries workout dvd for 4.99 (The Method: Pilates Target Specifics), and the "hips" workout is what I do. I feel like I'm flying when I run after doing that. No more pain.

Will look into that, thank you for your advice :)
  • phoenixgirl81
    phoenixgirl81 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    I'm a c25k graduate, but I run at a respectably slow 9 min/km (14.4 min/mile). :) I've got endurance on my side, though. 14 km happening tomorrow. 25 km happening in Sept!
  • Ronda73
    Ronda73 Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    Because of the heat that I'm not used to I've taken my training to the TM. I start week 5 tomorrow. When I walk I'm at 3.8 mph and jog about 4.8-5 mph. When I'm out on the street in cooler weather with my walk/run I average just under 14 minutes for a mile. I try to do at least a 5k each time I go out. And my fastest was 41.02. I'm hoping to get it under 40 minutes for my first race next month.
  • cannie55
    cannie55 Posts: 74 Member
    Options
    I just did W7D2 and averaged about 9:20/mile. This is my second time through the program though (took a long break from running this winter/spring after knee surgery). My first time through I was running at about a 10min/mile
  • grubb1019
    grubb1019 Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    I just finished W6D3 at 15:44min/mile. I had gotten a lot slower as the weeks progressed (week three was my best, I actually did a 12:44min/mile on day 2), but now each run has gotten slightly faster the last two weeks.