NSV that's not so good

Options
Bob314159
Bob314159 Posts: 1,178 Member
edited May 2017 in Social Groups
Two weeks ago - I switched my dress pants from a size 46 to a 44 - same brand/style. Also punched two more holes in my belt [2" lost]. Lost about 15 pounds. Happy news at first.

Problem is that the pants keep falling off when I start walking- waist is tight - so I'm not sure why. Internet search keeps coming up with - tough - you need suspenders. The tailor says the same - though he's going to try adding a velcro like strip.

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    We are sensationally fortunate to have a seamster in town who does magic every time he touches fabric. He lengthens, shortens, takes in, lets out, adds zippers, buttons, cuffs, hems, repairs, alters and modifies to every reasonable request.
    Find a good tailor on the internet get testimonials and trust him - or her - to make the changes for you.
  • Bob314159
    Options
    We'll see what happens - I've been using this guy for over 25 years - and always been happy. He "rebuilds" shirts for my son who is hard to fit.

The other issues is that i'm on a loss cycle - 1.5lbs per week - if it keeps up - in 6 weeks - have to do it all again.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    While I was losing weight, I sucked up and wore baggy clothes until it got borderline ridiculous. The expense of new clothes just wasn't int the budget.

Now the only bad thing is dress pants only come in even sizes. Two inches is a big difference. I have opted for looser than I would like over tighter. Once you reach a certain age, no matter what shape you are in, I don't think really tight clothes are flattering.
  • Bob314159
    Options
    What I don't understand is I have dropped [over several years] from over 320 down to to 215 and never had this problem before. At larger sizes of dress pants I needed to have the waist let out - simple.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    If it were me, I would add wide elastic to the back of the pants between the pelvic bones...but I don't mind doing my own alterations and I like to do them the lazy way so they fit for a long time.
  • Bob314159
    Options
    If it were me, I would add wide elastic to the back of the pants between the pelvic bones...but I don't mind doing my own alterations and I like to do them the lazy way so they fit for a long time.

My tailor is doing something like that - a strip with a bumpy rubber surface that will cling to my shirt
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Also, if you go look in children's clothing, they have elastic with buttons on the inside of the waist than can be adjusted as it goes. Like there are buttonholes on the elastic. Something like that might help, @Bob314159

I would honestly think that there is enough difference in the hip to waist to backside ratio now that whatever combination was helping hold the pants up before is not now. Since it's not the waistline, as it sounds to be as comfortable as possible when seated in the am... I'd check the hip line and the bum side, as a good balanced fit through to upper thigh helps distribute the weight of material.

Additionally, I know as a woman, most of my pants now have some form of stretch in them. What fits and is comfortable at the beginning of the day will very often be sliding down and have to be REPEATEDLY tugged upward throughout the afternoon of my workday. This is MOST vexing. It has to do more with the stretch of the material. This is particularly annoying if I've just washed the pants (I try to rotate through and wear my slacks more than one workday between washings). With freshly washed jeans/slacks, the material will be tighter after laundering, and looser after being worn.
  • Bob314159
    Options
    Yeah - they might fit at home - but as I walk - they start slipping down, 2 weeks ago - I had to grab them before they totally fell off. I have an elastic now and its' better but not perfect.

I bought 2 more pairs of pants on sale - same brand - different style. One pair is tight enough I can hardly get on, the other needs taking in 1"

Maybe I will have better luck. I think I lost weight off my rear and not on my waist - and have no "shelf" left
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    @Bob314159 - Here is a link for how to add this elastic to children's pants. I imagine it would be easy enough to adapt to adult pants...

http://www.kundhi.com/blog/2009/11/24/how-to-add-adjustable-elastic-to-kids-pants-in-5-easy-steps/#sthash.nYOZAGeN.dpbs

You can see what I mean about the buttonholes along the elastic.
  • Bob314159
    Options
    Thanks
  • KarlaYP
    KarlaYP Posts: 4,439 Member
    Options
    Congratulations on your weight loss Bob! Your self commitment is such an inspiration!