What's on your mind today?

Options
2»

Replies

• craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    There seems to be some confusion about how the calorie targets are on MFP made and how to use them effectively.

In summary, unless you understand how the number work it is very easy to "double dip" on calories and wind up stalling or gaining weight when trying to lose.

Calorie targets are based on BMR (Basal Metabolic Rate) and extrapolated out into estimated TDEE (Total Daily Energy Expenditure).

BMR is the amount of energy a person is expected to use at complete rest in a day (think coma with IV food).

The simplest (Mifflin - St Jeor) equation for BMR is:
    Men: (10 * Weight in kg) + (6.25 * Height in cm) + (5 * Age) + 5
    Women: (10 * Weight in kg) + (6.25 * Height in cm) + (5 * Age) - 161

So for a woman 57kg (125 lbs), 162cm tall, 35years, the BMR would be:
    = (10 * 57) + (6.25 * 162) + (5 * 35) - 161 = 1596.5

(57kg for a 162cm person gives a BMI of 21.7 which is middle of the normal range)

To get estimated TDEE, you add a weighting based on activity.
    • Sedentary (Little to no exercise - desk job) - 1.2
    • Light (light exercise/sports 1-3 days a week) - 1.375
    • Moderate (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days a week) - 1.55
    • Active (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week) - 1.725
    • Extreme (hard exercise/sports 6-7 days a week or 2x training) - 1.9

These assume you are NOT tracking exercise calories.

So if our example man worked a desk job (Sedentary), but got moderate exercise (Moderate). Which should he choose?

If our subject chose Sedentary, then:
    • TDEE would come out at 1596.5 * 1.2 = 1916 kCal per day (maintenance level).

If our subject chose Moderate, then:
    • TDEE would come out at 1596.5 * 1.55 = 2475 kCal per day (maintenance level).

That is 559 kCal per day difference.

Moderate is assuming that each day of sport is 783 kCal used ((559 * 7)/5).

Should our subject be injured and not be able to exercise, then they need to reduce calorie input by on average 559 kCal per day (back to Sedentary).

Should our subject have an activity tracker and eat back exercise calories (783 kCal per session) over their "moderate" level they could expect to GAIN 0.5kg (1 lbs) per week.

Each pound of fat is estimated at 3500 kCal. Each kg of fat is estimated at 7700 kCal.

MFP calculates a maintenance calorie target based on your inputs. If you then chose to lose weight per week it subtracts from that TDEE accordingly.
    • 1 lb per week = 500 kCal
    • 0.5 kg per week = 550 kCal
    • 2 lb per week = 1000 kCal
    • 1 kg per week = 1100 kCal

* Safety warning * 1kg per week should be considered a MAXIMUM target and for most people is borderline starvation unless very active.

My personal target is 0.5kg per week - sedentary lifestyle. I am losing, on average, 1kg per week because:
    • I do have a desk job
    • I am eating to target
    • I am more active than just the walking I report to UAC
    • I do not eat back exercise calories

Other points to note:
    • Exercise calorie trackers are notoriously inaccurate. They cannot measure efficiency of the performed exercise.
    • Calculated TDEE is an "estimate". It can be out by as much at 10% due to body type and composition. Use it as a base, then calculate based on personal observations.
    • A calorie is not a calorie (based on time of consumption, food it is in being consumed, macro balance it is consumed with). Take calories consumed as a guide (like exercise calories used).
    • Body weight is made up of fat, muscle, water and other tissue (bone, brain, organs). This composition changes over time. Part of the reason weight loss is non-linear. Ideally track size over weight (change is more consistent) or weigh daily and only take note of the weekly average.

In summary:
    • Calculated TDEE includes exercise calories not tracked.
    • If tracking and eating exercise calories, choose sedentary.
    • MFP TDEE is only a guide and use your history to really determine TDEE.

Hope this makes sense to people.
  • craigo3154
    Options
    craigo3154 wrote: »
    The simplest (Mifflin - St Jeor) equation for BMR is:
    Men: (10 * Weight in kg) + (6.25 * Height in cm) + (5 * Age) + 5
    Women: (10 * Weight in kg) + (6.25 * Height in cm) + (5 * Age) - 161

Slight correction in the BMR formula:
    Men: (10 * Weight in kg) + (6.25 * Height in cm) - (5 * Age) + 5
    Women: (10 * Weight in kg) + (6.25 * Height in cm) - (5 * Age) - 161

As you get older, the metabolism slows down. You need (on average) 5 calories less per day for each year of age.

So for a woman 57kg (125 lbs), 162cm tall, 35years, the BMR would be:
    = (10 * 57) + (6.25 * 162) - (5 * 35) - 161 = 1246.5

If our subject chose Sedentary, then:
    TDEE would come out at 1246.5 * 1.2 = 1496 kCal per day (maintenance level).

If our subject chose Moderate, then:
    TDEE would come out at 1596.5 * 1.55 = 1932 kCal per day (maintenance level).

That is 436 kCal per day difference.

Moderate is assuming that each day of sport is 610 kCal used ((436 * 7)/5).

Just thought I would correct this information.
  • lisafred24
    lisafred24 Posts: 313 Member
    Options
    I know I am too late in the month to be part of this challenge, but would like to join the group to help keep me motivated and accountable and hoping to compete next month.

• craigo3154
    Options
    lisafred24 wrote: »
    I know I am too late in the month to be part of this challenge, but would like to join the group to help keep me motivated and accountable and hoping to compete next month.
    @lisafred24. Happy to have people join.

Feel free to follow along and post your progress. The rules are simple:
    - Track everything you eat and drink
    - Try stay under your calorie budget
    - Do at least 20 mins of activity per day
    - Report in daily
    - 3 pass days permitted per month

Even if you don't make winners circle this month (starting late), there is a next month. Forming good habits should not need to start on calendar boundaries.

It is a challenge, and you may find it challenging (others have). I think you will find half a months practice this month will definitely help for next month (and much longer term).

This is a great, supportive group.

Welcome.
  • Slimpossible007
    Slimpossible007 Posts: 16,276 Member
    Options
    @5cheetahs I scroll as well, but I'm on a laptop, so its easier .. if you type the @ sign then start the name you get a list of suggestions but sometimes if its a common name you get too many and/ or can't remember enough of the name ... hopefully someone else will be more helpful :)
  • SimonsChange
    SimonsChange Posts: 230 Member
    edited July 2017
    Options
    It being the last day in the month I decided to check my blood pressure, As on the start of the month it was lower 150s / 90s which is why I decided to make some more changes.

I had taken a CoQ10,Magnesium and fish oil supplement as well as lowering my sodium after research and I'm pleased with the results of my 1 month cycle of it. I took another test today and it was 131 / 83 while I know it's not the best it's a huge improvement which makes me happy.

Overall this month I've lost 7.5Pounds, Got my blood pressure a lot closer to normal, And can walk long distances without pain it's been an amazing month and i'm glad I went through with everything.

Cheers to everyone that puts in the effort to change and I wish you all an amazing next month and hope you all had an amazing month.