June 22 Sign-In

Options
RangerRickL
RangerRickL Posts: 8,469 Member
Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes?
Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day?
Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank?

Replies

• am_change
    am_change Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Thanks for all the advice @phoebelayla @pribud and @2020pinktogo so here I am checking in at 9am where I am. :p I've been up a few hours and so far have only when my planned breakfast. I threw the crusts of my daughters toast that she refused to eat in the bin. I know, eating children's leftovers is a disgusting habit I never thought I'd do when I saw others do it but I've since realised that it's so easy to do absent mindedly especially when hungry yourself. I've done a 50min Pilates dvd with her sometimes joining in and causing mayhem all round. I should have taken a photo of the room at the end of the 50mins to show you for you to laugh! I don't work on Thursdays so find them a bit easier.
    @2020pinktogo unfortunately I still have quite a lot of weight left to go.
    I'm trying to up protein and reduce carbs. I'm a vegetarian and have always found it challenging. How many eggs do other UACers have (or think is OK to have) in a week?

Have a great day everyone!xx
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    June 22
    Exercised?: Yes. Walked 6.8km in 59 minutes (Hills).
    Calories?: Yes.
    Tracked?: Yes.

Reviewing how far you have come in important. Not only to celebrate the achievement, but to ensure you are still on track to destination.

The 7th habit in the "7 habits of highly effective people" is "Sharpen the Saw". This means take time to review progress, learn from (and celebrate) the past and focus efforts for the future.

@am_change. You can as many eggs per week as you like. I have at least one per day. Two today (breakfast and dinner). The fears about elevated LDL cholesterol are unfounded (and proved to be false). Most studies top out at 3 per day, but no real indication that more than this is a problem. The heart foundation suggests 6 per week.

@aeshippers. Sorry to hear about the iPad. Hope it can get sorted soon (and inexpensively).

@pribud. Well done on the exercise. Great to hear the recovery is progressing well.
  • aeshippers
    aeshippers Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Today as predicted was very wet so did 30 minutes rowing this morning and 30 minutes exercise bike this evening.
    Tracking good and calories OK (I was over by 2 before the exercise bike).

@pribud - glad to hear the recovery is going well and you have such supportive friends looking after you.

@amchange - I also struggle with protein as I am dairy intolerant and eat very little meat (effectively none from a nutritional point of view) I do eat some fish and have increased the aunt recently to try and increase my protein but have been trying to find more plant based ways. Have you ever tried making seitan? I tried a couple of yars ago and wasn't impressed but tried again last weekend and have quite enjoyed it so must have got it wrong the first time. No good if you have any sort of gluten sensitivity as that's what it's made from, lots of reccipes on the internet. Also if you are trying to reduce carbs but don't have a problem with fats then the higher protein nuts and seeds could be good such as pumpkin, linseed and chia or almond, peanut and pistachio.

Tomorrow will be a tough day calorie wise as I have a training/conference day in a really nice hotel in Christchurch. The last time I was there 2 years ago they fed me very well ( I have to have special food done for me with the dairy intolerance so don't get a lot of choice - take it or leave it basically). Might be lots of exercise calories and no dinner required tomorrow evening.
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    Ok I know I am making progress as my rear is truly sore. My legs are looking great but today when I got on the scale the weight went up . I really need to increase my water intake to help with all the sore muscles. I know this I just need to do it. I was going to have fruit for breakfast but when I got up sore I went for protein.

I think I need to put on some happy clothes lots of color. Later today I will do a DVD to workout my arms and upper body and give my legs a break. Granted I will still do the elliptical. We have a love hate relationship. I take out my aggravation out on it.
  • craigo3154
    craigo3154 Posts: 2,572 Member
    Options
    Ok I know I am making progress as my rear is truly sore. My legs are looking great but today when I got on the scale the weight went up . I really need to increase my water intake to help with all the sore muscles. I know this I just need to do it. I was going to have fruit for breakfast but when I got up sore I went for protein.

I think I need to put on some happy clothes lots of color. Later today I will do a DVD to workout my arms and upper body and give my legs a break. Granted I will still do the elliptical. We have a love hate relationship. I take out my aggravation out on it.

@2020pinktogo. If you are doing exercise and keeping under calorie budget do not worry about the weight. Weight will happen. You should find size is a better indicator.

Water is always good. Body will get rid of the excess (in time - if keeping in calorie budget). If you are thirsty, no problems drinking water.

Protein is good for sore muscles. Helps them repair. Rest also helps them repair. So don't go at it too hard. Give you body time to adapt and strengthen.

Keep at it. You can do this.
  • debodom1962
    debodom1962 Posts: 310 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @2020pinktogo for some reason when I begin to work out, I gain weight but lose inches and tone up really well. Make sure to measure too. I hate that all weight loss progress is defined by scale numbers. That's what I like about this group, it's geared more towards fitness, food and water.
  • am_change
    am_change Posts: 1,010 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the egg and protein advice. :)

Kitchen closed. Yes x 3
  • Slimpossible007
    Slimpossible007 Posts: 16,276 Member
    Options
    another 3 yesses from me ... yesterday was a struggle but I managed my 20 mins

today I managed 65 minutes .. so I've made up for it :)

nice walk with my mum in the park and we fed the pigeons :)
  • Slimpossible007
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @debodom1962 exactly spot on .. we are getting fitter and sometimes the scale take a while to catch up :)

@am_change My mums vegetarian and I've been trying to up her protein for years lol

heres a few foods high in protein ..
    nuts
    seeds
    cottage cheese
    natural greek yogurt (fage)
    eggs
    beans
    oats
    quorn (if you don't mind meat substitute)
    milk
    lentils

• debodom1962
    Options
    @Slimpossible007 thank you for the list of proteins. I have that problem too. No matter how healthy I eat, I always end up eating more carbs, from fruit, than protein.
  • Slimpossible007
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @debodom1962

100g cottage cheese with 1 egg and some sweet chilli sauce ... yum 16 g protein
    or
    100g greek yog with 15g walnuts and a squeeze of honey ... yum 12 g protein

everything is low in cals (except the walnuts)

excellent breakfast / lunch
  • SimonsChange
    SimonsChange Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Gonna have to use my first pass today.
    Cheers
  • bocasdelbadbob
    bocasdelbadbob Posts: 111 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    yes, yes, yes
  • debodom1962
    Options
    @bocasdelbadbob I am in awe of the whole narrative and photo. You are a bad *kitten* in my eyes. And I'm curious as to your age that 20 miles is age appropriate.
  • fightingthetideofaging
    fightingthetideofaging Posts: 470 Member
    Options
    Did I exercise for at least 20 minutes? Yep...45 minute Hi Low HIIT class, followed by a 45 minute Barre class
    Did I stay within my calorie budget for the day? Yep
    Did I keep track of everything I ate and drank? Yep
  • SweetPeasMom55
    SweetPeasMom55 Posts: 3,385 Member
    Options
    @craigo3154 Yep I am under calories but have been slacking on my water consumption. Today I upped it but the job doesn't make it easy.LOL Amazing how some things you take for granted the ability to just go to the bathroom whenever you want I never appreciated it before. LOL.

I know but I really liked the smaller number . Even though today I wore a short skirt and one of the young girls said "It's sad when Sue who is old enough to be my mother has legs I would kill for." I laughed and said feel free to come walking with us. She just rolled her eyes. :D
  • Gus130
    Gus130 Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Pass day. I have been feverish all day and could not bear the exercise
  • phoebelayla
    phoebelayla Posts: 1,182 Member
    Options
    am_change wrote: »
    I'm trying to up protein and reduce carbs. I'm a vegetarian and have always found it challenging. How many eggs do other UACers have (or think is OK to have) in a week?

Have a great day everyone!xx

It is a bit challenging to eat low carb as a vegetarian, but it can be done. I have been a vegetarian (plant based diet eater) for over 30 years. I have tried to eat low carb for about the past 5 years, and moved to ultra low carb in March to move off some weight. There have been times in my life when I did not eat eggs or dairy (most strictly when I was breastfeeding and my youngest developed enterocolitis from whey protein in milk). Currently, I do tend to eat eggs almost every day. It is the one good natural vegetarian protein that has no carbs. Additionally, it is the only protein source that contains all of the essential amino acids.

You already got some good tips, and I will add a few more.
    -Sprouted tofu has more protein and a better protein to carb ratio than regular tofu. That being said, I don't eat a lot of tofu because it just isn't my thing.
    -Seitan does have a looooot of good protein. Again, not my fav.
    -Fieldroast makes some good products and the protein comes from vital wheat gluten (hey, there is that gluten! I guess I have had this a few times a month) which is mostly the protein part of the grain, with most of the carb part removed. It has a decent protein to carb ratio.
    - Low carb protein shakes are my friend if I am not going to be home.
  • phoebelayla
    phoebelayla Posts: 1,182 Member
    Options
    Gus130 wrote: »
    Pass day. I have been feverish all day and could not bear the exercise

Oh no! Take care of yourself and hope you feel better very soon!