Starting low carb

Options
EternalSnow627_
EternalSnow627_ Posts: 85 Member
I've seen a lot of people using butter to fry with. Like wouldn't using butter instead of cooking oil or pam make cholesterol go up higher?

Replies

• auntstephie321
    auntstephie321 Posts: 3,586 Member
    Options
    No
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    The idea that high cholesterol is a marker for heart disease has been proven incorrect. It's actually quite widely accepted at this point.
    You'll want to study up on why having high cholesterol isn't even much to be concerned about. There are links in the open threads in the launch pad. High total cholesterol in itself doesn't say anything about heart disease risk.
    Eating more natural fats could make total cholesterol higher but that's more likely a good thing since it raises HDL and possibly large LDL.

http://eatingacademy.com/nutrition/how-did-we-come-to-believe-saturated-fat-and-cholesterol-are-bad-for-us
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    On a side note, butter is one of the few foods the Bible tells us to eat! Which I found interesting. Another is honey, which I might do when I get to goal weight in moderation. I might even eat whole grain breads. I'll never eat my old SAD diet tho.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    @EternalSnow86 - Two things.

First, I have learned I prefer ghee to butter. It is more expensive, but you need less of it, it tastes better, and the smoke point is WAY higher so you don't have to worry about it scorching like you do with butter.

Second, see this article from the British Medical Journal showing how there was actually no scientific basis for the restriction on fat/saturated fat even when the first recommendations were made and since then no scientific evidence.

http://bjsm.bmj.com/content/51/10/769

Having followed this WOE to control my BG, I wanted to make sure I was not jumping out of the frying pan and into the fire, so i have done extensive research in this area. I have put quite a bit of it in other threads, but I think this one article is a pretty good summary of the science.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    gc1d4do34tff.jpg
    uiwp0y36rjr1.jpg

>:) or o:)
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Making your own ghee is very cost effective, easy and I do it a lot....
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    To go somewhat against the majority here, some people do seem to have their cholesterol increase from increased sat fat (not opining on whether that's bad or not, I'd probably ask questions of my doctor). I think a majority do not find such a connection between cholesterol and diet (or sat fat specifically). I've never found that it made a difference, but my cholesterol has never been high. (Many people who do have high cholesterol find that just losing weight causes it to go down.)

Industrial seed oils have more evidence of negative health effects than butter, I believe, and I do avoid them. I use butter, coconut oil, olive oil, and avocado oil all, as well as bacon fat, but vary based on use or taste (I think they are all tasty, but compliment different foods differently). Result is I don't use a ton of butter, but see no reason not to use it if I think it would taste better (ghee in Indian dishes, I like to cook fish in butter quite often).
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    Time magazine just did a story on it (lack of any studies linking sat. fat to disease) last year. It's hard to say it's dietary fat to blame or not when the common belief that dietary fat makes you fat is being challenged right and left.

All the new science I've seen points to carbs (which your body stores as fat) being much more dangerous to health than butter.

It's still hard to convince ppl that fat is not the evil (and cereals are not the heroes) as we've been taught for decades. We are not the majority, that's for sure. My doctor still warns me at every visit how dangerous a low carb diet is. She would prolly flip if I ever discussed fats with her.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    My mother's doctor was warning her against high cholesterol... I couldn't be bothered to put him right... I was losing the will to live at that point....
  • Ketolover71
    Ketolover71 Posts: 68 Member
    Options
    Making your own ghee is very cost effective, easy and I do it a lot....

Can I ask how you make it?
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Yes.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    :lol:

Take two 250g blocks of unsalted butter, cut into chunks and melt over a med/low flame.

Once melted, the butter will start to fizzle and bring up foam to the surface, which is best skimmed off, if possible... after a while of heating, you will see the butter clear, and the sediment staying on the bottom.
    When you can see that the sediment is beginning to brown, take it off the heat, and either through a double-thickness muslin cloth, or through a paper coffee filter, pour the melted butter into a clean, dry jar.

Ghee residue is a rich source of protein and fat apart from containing considerable amounts of minerals and can be used as human dietary supplement....
    I used to use the sediment/residue, to make brownies, but this was before I realised carbs were a no-no....It needs sugar, and cashews, and milk.... you see my problem!

This was the recipe I used to use....

• bertadee812
    bertadee812 Posts: 13 Member
    Options
    Ghee is the same thing as clarified butter; to make it, heat your butter in a small saucepan over very low heat until completely melted and all of the solids have settled to the bottom - those are the milk solids. Carefully pour the butter through cheesecloth into a jar, or container of your choice. Once the milk solids are removed it's safe to keep at room temperature for quite a while.
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    I want to try this recipe for ghee. Uses the crockpot. http://holisticallyengineered.com/2013/11/five-ingredient-slow-cooker-ghee.html
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    I want to try this recipe for ghee. Uses the crockpot. http://holisticallyengineered.com/2013/11/five-ingredient-slow-cooker-ghee.html

Doesn't get much easier than this.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    @lemurcat12 ...in case you aren't familiar with this (and you might have already seen it) this short 3-4 minute video explains, at least with regard to eating LCHF, why that happens:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNfjkTyBUdQ
  • pitbullmamaliz
    pitbullmamaliz Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    cstehansen wrote: »

Doesn't get much easier than this.

Right? I just need to buy a cheesecloth.
  • lemurcat12
    lemurcat12 Posts: 30,886 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    @lemurcat12 ...in case you aren't familiar with this (and you might have already seen it) this short 3-4 minute video explains, at least with regard to eating LCHF, why that happens:

I'm not talking LCHF specifically or getting into the argument over whether it's bad or not, but I know cholesterol responds to diet for some people. My dad improved his by changing his diet (at least according to his doctor, and I have no reason to doubt that). My understanding is that not everyone's cholesterol is responsive to diet/sat fat, and I so far don't think mine is, as it's always been good, whether I'm eating higher sat fat or not. But I don't rule out the possibility that some people do have reasons to avoid higher sat fat.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I've seen a lot of people using butter to fry with. Like wouldn't using butter instead of cooking oil or pam make cholesterol go up higher?

I suggest you study LCHF and Keto Diets, there are a ton of resources out there. Also, start here to get many of your questions answered: http://community.myfitnesspal.com/en/discussion/10103966/start-here-the-lcd-launch-pad#latest

Put it simply, your body makes it's own cholesterol in a massive amount compared to what we might ingest. If we take in more, it makes less.