Biometric Results & Interesting Conversation w/ Nutritionist

Options
2»

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Yes, and it pays to brush up on things.... "a little learning is a dangerous thing...."
    This phrase comes from "An Essay on Criticism" by the poet Alexander Pope. The full poem ... contains the lines:

"A little learning is a dangerous thing;
    Drink deep, or taste not the Pierian* spring :
    There shallow draughts intoxicate the brain,
    And drinking largely sobers us again."

In other words, it's easy to get carried away with your knowledge when you've learned just a little about a subject. You're less likely to be foolish and arrogant when you've learned a lot.

The same poem also contains the lines, "Fools rush in where angels fear to tread," and "To err is human, to forgive divine."

Quite apt, I think.... :)

(*Pierian Spring: In Greek mythology, the Pierian Spring of Macedonia was sacred to the Muses, as the metaphorical source of knowledge of art and science.)
  • RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    Options
    Whoa. You folks are on a roll! (No, not that kind.)

In addition to coming armed with facts (and the usual YMMV disclaimers), it doesn't seem like a bad idea to pack just a couple of those shallow draughts to ignite the imagination. (I think it was @2t9nty who invented the classic euphemism, "strategic energy reserves" to describe what we all had under our belts when we first bellied up to the keto bar.)

Alas, I've got but one potential long-term convert (a newly-diagnosed diabetic) among all my friends and family members who've asked about my diet. Time will tell....
  • 2t9nty
    2t9nty Posts: 1,580 Member
    Options
    I have made a dent in my reserves. I am almost 80 pounds down - so this would be 320 sticks of butter for those who prefer a more concrete visual.

Get that diabetic on the keto bandwagon!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    edited May 2017
    Options
    I'm banging on about Dr Michael Mosley's book... In which he expounds the virtues of "Resistant Starch".... anyone interested...? A quote from the website he recommends, for further personal research, states the following:
    Resistant Starch is absolutely NOT going to hurt you ever, even if diabetic.

Anyone want to know more? Can provide links, reference and tips on researching the site....

• RalfLott
    Options
    I'm banging on about Dr Michael Mosley's book... In which he expounds the virtues of "Resistant Starch".... anyone interested...? A quote from the website he recommends, for further personal research, states the following:

Anyone want to know more? Can provide links, reference and tips on researching the site....

When I hear words like "absolutely", I get squeamish. But considering the source....
    Refs please?
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    edited May 2017
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    ...When I hear words like "absolutely", I get squeamish. But considering the source....
    Refs please?

Second link....

Resistant Starch references page:

https://freetheanimal.com/2013/10/resistant-ingestion-blunting.html

https://freetheanimal.com/2017/02/steeles-resistant-project.html

(List of foods)
  • RalfLott
    Options
    2t9nty wrote: »
    I have made a dent in my reserves. I am almost 80 pounds down - so this would be 320 sticks of butter for those who prefer a more concrete visual.

Get that diabetic on the keto bandwagon!

Doing my best! He's from Spain and has formed 50+ years of pretty good eating habits but with too many carbs for his present self to handle. He's lost about 10 lbs so far, to his delight, but he's a seasonal eater and hasn't just yet gotten his head around cutting back on high-carb fruits and vegetables. But he's smart, motivated, and aware of the basic principles, so I think his long-term outlook is pretty good.
  • RalfLott
    edited May 2017
    Options
    RalfLott wrote: »
    ...When I hear words like "absolutely", I get squeamish. But considering the source....
    Refs please?

Second link....

Resistant Starch references page:

https://freetheanimal.com/2013/10/resistant-ingestion-blunting.html

https://freetheanimal.com/2017/02/steeles-resistant-project.html

(List of foods)

Thanks! Haven't dug in very far yet, but caught this comment from Tim Steele in the comments of the second link:

"Everyone I know that has been a proponent of increased RS, also advises against low carb diets, as RS is a synergystic component of diet, and not a standalone magic bullet." If that's the way it is, it hardly seems like RS can be considered good for diabetics if it requires carb intake to increase in order to be effective. ? :/ ? I suspect we've got another area with wide individual differences.

(Not that it's relevant to RS, but there's a lot of gratuitous, nasty stuff about Jimmy Moore, too:
    https://freetheanimal.com/2017/05/jimmy-menace-health.html)

• AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    "When LC, in ketosis, or fasting regularly, the blunting was less pronounced or, to state it the opposite way, RS/PS does not afford the same dramatic results. What that means metabolically over the long term is an open question."

I think the Resistant Starch acts as fibre in the lower/large intestine, therefore being better nourishment to the Microbial population, when a person isn't doing anything specific to their diet to begin with.

Is I think what she means....
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Just in time for USA Memorial Day festivities with cold Potato Salad, Baked Beans and Fruit Salad. :#
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Further on as a conclusion, on the same page:
    If you are in ketosis or fast regularly, the results are not as profound but there appears to be a subtile benefit over time. If you eat a normal, moderate carb diet (150-200g daily) the results are profound, both for daily ingestion and supplemental ingestion with each starchy meal. If you eat SAD and just can’t stop, then it’s probably most important to be supplementing RS daily.

• RalfLott
    Options
    If you are in ketosis or fast regularly, the results are not as profound but there appears to be a subtile benefit over time. If you eat a normal, moderate carb diet (150-200g daily) the results are profound, both for daily ingestion and supplemental ingestion with each starchy meal. If you eat SAD and just can’t stop, then it’s probably most important to be supplementing RS daily.

Thx. I'm still wandering around the foothills of the microbiome range, and it's not been a very easy climb so far.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    It helps if you wear crampons... :p

Think of Microbiomes as your buddies if you treat them right, but very much against you if you don't.

There are at least 50 trillion of them in your lower bowel; approximately 1000 different types.... Commercial pre/probitoics have very little beneficial effect. Naturl foods, prepared by 'you' from scratch, will be far better for 'you' in the long run ('you' generic, not 'you' specific....)
    • They help regulate body weight
    • They regulate our entire immune system
    • indigestible food is converted into a wide range of hormones and chemicals - these control our moods, appetites and general health.
    • They have evolved - with us - over thousands of years

Just as mankind is laying acres and acres of rainforest to waste, in favour of growing potentially and arguably less beneficial crops, so we have, in a nutshell, done the same to our gut.

Fortunately, with care and 'devotion', the gut situation can be rememdied... (The rainforest situation may take more work...)
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options

That's about what I have seen. RS is most helpful to those eating carbs. I don't worry much about my microbiome that digests plants because I eat so few of them. :P ;)