Let's talk about something other than food or exercise

Options
OhLeita
OhLeita Posts: 99 Member
What do you do and, more importantly, what do you like to do?

My husband and I live on the Gulf coast, five acres and a tiny house. We have a CNC machine shop that pays the bills (most of the time).

I like futzing with the property, we keep it pretty much unaltered so the wild animals have a safe place to eat and live. My favorite time of year is Autumn when the hummingbirds migrate through. It's a fulltime job keeping them fed and they remember and come back every year so now there's always hundreds flying around. We like to take the boat out to feed the fish (we'd starve if we had to depend on our fishing skills to eat). My favorite hobby is beekeeping, I have a little hive that's fun to watch.

Okay. Your turn. :happy:

Replies

• mustang6411
    mustang6411 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    I am currently unemployed, looking for a job is a full time job. I am going to school for Accounting, will graduate with a BA in Dec 2015.I ha GPA of 3.0. I am very proud of that, at my age!!.

I am a wedding coordinator at our church. I love to scrapbook, and I am currently making homemade Christmas cards.

Hummingbirds are precious. I love horses. But do like dogs and cats, do bot have any animals, we are on the go too much to have an animal.
  • AmyMgetsfit
    AmyMgetsfit Posts: 636 Member
    Options
    My husband and I worked hard and saved our money so we could retire in our 50's, which we did. We sold our house in Colorado and moved to Michigan 4 years ago. Our daughter had gone to nursing school in Ann Arbor and ended up staying when she fell in love and got married. They have 2 kids a girl 4 and a boy 7 months. My husband and I watch them during the week while their parents work. We enjoy it. I never had grand parents and really wanted us to be active grand parents for them. We also have another daughter but she lives back in Colorado. She is single and no kids. We live in the country on a few acres. We also get wildlife on our property. I love to get up early in the morning and drink my coffee while watching the deer graze and play. They love our clover. The babies are just adorable to watch frolicking around. I love reading and cooking. I am always looking for healthy recipes to try.
  • gsager
    gsager Posts: 977 Member
    Options
    Okay, really all I do is plan my meals and work out. I work at and elementary school and part time at a gym. Both my adult sons live with me, ones a bodybuilder and personal trainer. The other one has a drinking problem so I have something in common with both of them. (I'm sober now, but can still relate).

I had a house built 3 years ago on 28 acres and have some wild life too. Deer, raccoons, armadillos, possums. Love it.
  • AnneTanne0
    AnneTanne0 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    My husband and I live with our 16 y.o. son in a small village in the north of Belgium.
    Our house is a tiny old farmhouse, and but our garden is rather large for Belgian standards (about 2 acres). Both my husband and I have full-time jobs, and not so much time for the garden, so it is rather unkempt (have a look at my website: http://annetanne.be), except for a small part that you see on the pictures that I post on the first (or the second) of (not) every month.
    (I'm not very active with my blog for the last few months... In April I wrote a series about some wild solitary bees in my garden, but since then it was very calm...)

Apart from the ornamental garden you see on the pics, we have a tiny flower meadow and a small orchard, a chicken coop, a swimming pond, a rather large part of the garden is just a grove... And we have a vegetable garden and a greenhouse with about 35 different tomato varieties.

Well indeed, our garden is one of my hobbies, as is nature photography. The wildlife in my garden consists merely of insects and birds... The largest mammal that I actually see in the garden is our native red squirrel (a very shy being compared to those grey ones in America.)
    Belgium is far too overpopulated to have animals like deer coming into gardens... (but nearby, in the forest, I sometimes see a roe when I go running.)

Oh yes, and for a living... I'm a child- and adolescent psychiatrist....
  • padisneyfour
    padisneyfour Posts: 220
    Options
    I live in NW Pennsylvania( small rural town).My husband and I have been married 23 years, we have two daughters one will begin her third year of college and our youngest graduated high school in june and we be a college freshmen. As my name suggests, we are disney fans. We enjoy our trips to wdw. we also enjoy going to the ocean/ beach- which is quite a drive for us. My husband and I went for the first time to WDW on our honeymoon and we have been back many times since-its our family vacation spot.
    I work full time for a county government human services agency. My husband works retail.
    We also have three cats and a dog.
    I enjoy crafts, but havent done much for a while.
  • mustang6411
    mustang6411 Posts: 89 Member
    Options
    My husband I have been married for 2 years. We both have n married before. My 21 yr old daughter lives with us.
  • dstevens19
    dstevens19 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    How nice to get to know you! I've lived in Sscottsdale,AZ most of my life. I've been married 30 years and have 2 sons, 20 and 18. Both of them are moving out within the next month, so I'm staring at an empty nest. I work in marketing for a hospital. Previously I worked for the Phoenix Suns basketball team for 13 years. Loads of fun but my current job is very satisfying. I handle advertising, PR, web, employee communication, events, etc. I really enjoy my work!

I read when i have time -- current fiction faves are Nelson DeMille, Stuart Woods, and Jeffrey Archer. Nonfiction is usually something about healthcare or consumer behavior.. I LOVE to cook and bake and I make room for good food and wine in my daily calorie plan. (Oops... Not supposed to talk about that).

Travel is high on my list, too. We just returned from a trip to Scotland and England -- Anne, I've been to Belgium, too. In fact, we were in Brugge on Ascension Day and got to see the pageant. What an Incredible experience! Next on our list is Thailand in 2014.

Well, that's enough for now.

While I love my family, my 2 dogs are my sweethearts. I have a 5 yr old Chesapeake Bay Retriever and a 2 yr old hound mix/rescue mutt-- Chester and Shelby. They are my buddies.
  • suemichele
    suemichele Posts: 49 Member
    Options
    I work full time and live in Northeast Wisconsin. I am in my 50's and enjoy the outdoors. Love planting flowers, feeding the birds, bike riding, camping, any outdoor activites. Have been with my significant other for 20 years and have a stepson who is married and has a daughter. Love to travel and wish I had more time to do that!
  • cybersheel
    cybersheel Posts: 145 Member
    Options
    Hi! I'm married, for 34 yrs, (oh! That makes me feel old) to a wonderful man. We live in central Scotland at the foot of the hills. I love hillwalking and walking. Sadly no kids, such is life. Our garden is a wee bit rough round the edges but the wildlife love it. I always have food out for the birds. We go abroad every year, this year is in a small village up the mountains in Spain. Which we drive too. Love reading, mainly fiction and especially murder mysteries. (makes hubby nervous) Enjoy the computer, all that information at your fingertips, phenominal!
  • tekwriter
    tekwriter Posts: 923 Member
    Options
    Hello all, I live in a small town in rural North Carolina. We live on two acres and house. Both of my sons are at home and one of them has his girlfriend live in also. They are both going to college here. We have 4 dogs, 4 ferrets, 4 cats, 2 guinea pigs, 1 hamster, 1 rabbit and 2 turtles. Yes we do have a big house. I work for a large banking corporation as a consultant and just completed my MBA two years ago. I love to cook and watch cooking competitions. I also like to sew. Married 30 years. I also love to play games on facebook.
  • ruthlesswr
    ruthlesswr Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    My husband and I live with our 16 y.o. son in a small village in the north of Belgium.

Hi Anne! My youngest daughter and I are hoping to take a trip to Belgium in the next year or so. It seems to me that your country is lovely!
    I'll have to wait until I get to a different computer to look at your garden pictures, but it sounds impressive. I'm afraid I have a brown thumb :(

Ruth
  • AnneTanne0
    AnneTanne0 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Hi Anne! My youngest daughter and I are hoping to take a trip to Belgium in the next year or so. It seems to me that your country is lovely!

Well...
    Belgium is small of course...
    And almost all Belgians admit that Belgium has its ugliness (Belgians tend to be rather un-chauvinistic) - but it is lovely too, on its small scale...
    In Flanders (north, Dutch-speaking), you have the medieval town-centers like in Bruges and Louvain, but also in Antwerp, Brussels and Ghent there are beautiful neighbourhoods.
    And in Wallony (south, French-speaking, small part German), nature is beautiful (but not as impressive as in the States - we visited the National Parks in the West last year).
  • grannysmith54
    grannysmith54 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I am happy married of 42 yrs. to the same wonderful man. we do have our ups and downs, but guess since we are from the older generation, we work through our problems together, instead of throwing in the towel. for the most part life is good. We live in a tiny older home on 40 acres of land. we used to have cattle, but my husband is disabled and could not work them anymore so we sold them. we have 4 dogs and 3 cats. We are in Northern Arkansas, so the hummingbirds are here now, love to watch them, as well. The deer is so think here, we try everything but shooting them, to keep them away, they eat off every flower bud , my husband gets so mad, he goes out and treathens them and shoots the gun off in the air, lol. I tell him they are just stopping by for something sweet to eat. We have lots of wild animals, deer, squirrel, rabbit, skunk, opossums, cycotes, foxes, mountain lions, bobcats, snakes, you name it we have most of them, lol. I do love to live in the country, just would like to have more time to enjoy it and play with my dogs outside. I work full time 42 or more hours per week, live some distance to my job, it's a hour drive each way. I do Home Care for the Elderly. Not a bad job, but it does get boring, sometime I am just there watching them sleep, lol. We do some traveling abroad about every 2 years, Our son is in the AirForce and he stays mostly in Europe, He married a European girl, very lovely and sweet, speaks great English as well as other languages, they have been in Italy for 4 years now, over the past 15 years we have been overseas 4 times. They have 2 boys 6 and 2. which my grandsons have never been to the good old U.S. A. I would have never ever dreamed in a million years that we, "the Arkansas Hillbillies", lol. would have gone to Europe. but, we go where are children are, so I think we have been blessed with that. ok, enough. I could keep going. Living one day at a time, trying to take life slow and enjoy the years we have left here on the Beautiful Earth. Loving Life
  • simonsaysso
    simonsaysso Posts: 72 Member
    Options
    Its great to hear about all of you! I am 50 years old and my husband and i just celebrated 26 years of marriage. I am the controller for a high school district. Its great because I live about a mile from where I work. I went back to school for my MBA last year so life is busy. We have two sons- 18 & 14 and we live in New Jersey about 20 minutes from the shore. I also have one furbaby at the moment - our cat, Spencer who is staring at me right now.
    I hoping to add new friends so we can support each other through this journey!
  • MsCarlalalala
    Options
    It's so nice to learn a bit about everyone.

I've lived in Los Angeles for the the last 35 years. I'm a Teacher's Assistant at an LAUSD Adult School. I've been married 3 times, but always get the 7 year itch . :wink: Like Francine I am also a breast cancer survivor 13 years for me. I volunteer at an animal rescue center. I'm crazy cat lady, but I only have one cat at home, Milo who has the face of an angel and a devilish spark. LOL! I love crafting. I knit, quilt, and make jewelry. Here are two items I made to help raise money for the rescue center.

2nkjyw.jpg

2vxj0gm.jpg
  • sammycat1
    sammycat1 Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    What a great and interesting bunch of ladies we are!

I'll be 56 in September. I'm American, but have lived in Scotland for the past 19 years with my Scottish husband and son.

We live quite rural in a converted barn in the middle of a field with lots of wildlife around, although we're only an hour or so from Glasgow and Edinburgh.

I work at a customer service job but hope for a a lottery win every week.

We have an 18 year old son studying at a small university in Chicago and he's home for the summer so I'm a very happy mom.

We're going back with him in August for a holiday before he starts his second year. It's with mixed feelings of being excited to go on a family holiday and really see Chicago, but will be so sad to be leaving him behind. Lately I have a longing to move back to America, but hubby doesn't fancy it. I'll have to work on that while I'm there.

I love to read, paint, cook and travel. We also have 2 well loved cats and I'm a bit of a crazy cat lady too.
  • txteadrinker
    txteadrinker Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Wow, I loved reading about all of you. I'm 56, a native Texan (born and raised in the Panhandle, now live in Fort Worth) with the Love of My Life, my husband of 8 years. We have a daughter, who has four kiddos, and two sons. Our older son is a firefighter and engaged to be married in May 2014, so we are all excited about that and our younger son is working and making plans to go to school. I work for an educational grant-funded program called TRIO (anyone heard of it?) and we help first generation students go to college after high school. I LOVE my job!

I am a life-long Presbyterian, active in my church, and dependent upon my faith.

When we married, my two sons lived at home and we now have an empty nest and feel like we are on our honeymoon :heart: I like to read, crochet, cook, and visit with family and friends, and he loves to play golf, especially when I play with him. I'm not much of a player, but enjoy it when the Texas heat allows. We hope to be able to retire (someday!) and hopefully will get to travel more than we do now.
  • dogladytwo
    dogladytwo Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    Hi, I am Kristin and a computer programmer, old school mainframe, if anyone knows what that is anymore. At 50, I am an IT baby dinosaur if you consider the fact that all the people I work with are about 20 years older than myself.

I am active in animal rescue and am in the process of placing my 157th foster animal in a permanent home.

I have a 27 year old son and two granddaughters.

I have been very fortunate in this life and try to live like I know it. 50 is fabulous!
  • Harleybabe14
    Harleybabe14 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I think I have found a great group, I am 55 and live in Missoui in the country, love the outdoors and Harley's. Grandkids came into my life recently and I realized I wanted to get back to a more healthy state to be able to keep up with them. They range in age from 6 months to 10 years old (step Grandkids) went from 0 to 5 in less than 2 years. lol
  • K9Lover
    K9Lover Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm really enjoying this topic. So many interesting women I'd like to be friends with. :-)

My name is Lois and I've lived in Wisconsin for the past 34 years (previously PA and Vermont). I'm married with three grown kids and no grandchildren. I love dogs-- I have three--and nine years ago I turned my passion into a natural pet food business. I love what I do: everyday I get to educate people on healthy options for their dogs and cats . As a bonus, I get to work with my daughter. Outside the store, I enjoy reading (I'm really into audio books), walking, weight training, kayaking, biking, photography, and anything electronic (especially if it has an Apple on it). I used to enjoy baking, but I think, for obvious reasons, those days are over (except for the dogs--I make a mean liver biscotti!) I watch way too much tv.

This is my second (and last!) go round on MFP. In 2011 I lost around 40 lbs and well, you can guess the rest. This time I plan to stick around but hopefully as a maintainer.