How often would you treat yourself to a high sugar fruit?

Options
bluets2011
bluets2011 Posts: 241 Member
I'm new to LC lifestyle. In just 30 days I have enjoyed many of the proclaimed benefits: lost 6.6 pounds, more energy, less water retention. But I miss fruit other than berries.

So how can I fit some of my favourite ones such as papaya, watermelon and mango still keeping LC?

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    Generally I do not eat fruit but did eat an orange and banana today that were getting over ripe. Getting kicked out of ketosis from time to time does not concern me like it did 2.5 years ago. Testing the berberine and R-Lipoic Acid that is to help offset the high sugar fruit that comes from whole foods.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    What is your chosen cap on carbs for the day?
  • bluets2011
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »
    What is your chosen cap on carbs for the day?
    I'm aiming at 10%. So it would go over. I used to be vegan so fruit was a big part of my diet. Pescatarian now, and in the last month I don't crave sugar or carbs. I'm not craving fruit too... just miss it :-)

• bluets2011
    Options
    Generally I do not eat fruit but did eat an orange and banana today that were getting over ripe. Getting kicked out of ketosis from time to time does not concern me like it did 2.5 years ago. Testing the berberine and R-Lipoic Acid that is to help offset the high sugar fruit that comes from whole foods.

Thanks for your reply GaleHawkins. How do you test them? And not sure I understand the purpose? I'm very new to LC, Just starting to make my way through the pinned posts :-)

• Just_Eric
    Just_Eric Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Being that I'm close to a goal weight and should be starting to lift weights soon, I'm likely going to be dropping keto and enjoying one nectarine every day this summer. mmmmmmm. Truthfully, I have no idea what my carb limit is to stay in ketosis as I don't measure every day. I may actually manage to remain in ketosis, but I'm not terribly concerned either way; nectarines are too damned delicious.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    For me, it's all about portion. Instead of eating a whole fruit or several large slices of watermelon, look to include a few small 1" - 2" cubes as part of dinner's dessert, etc. Work on including small portions within a higher fat/lower carb portion... Also, if you use the fruit immediately prior to a workout, you can likely burn through some of the carbs before they hit hard.

But honestly, if you are following this dietary protocol for any blood sugar related reason - diabetes, prediabetes, mental disorder management, seizure prevention, insulin resistance, etc., you will not want to include these things very often, if at all.

For me, I can use sugarless extracts to flavor a mousse or gelatin dessert treat for once in a blue moon rather than the fruits themselves - or mix a bit of the puree into full fat sugar-free yogurt or whipped cream, etc. Make it a mousse.

It is all about changing your relationship with food. There is a specific reason that you can't have those foods as often. Fruit was intended within nature to be a rare thing, and typically by local. Today's fruits don't resemble those from generations ago. DietDoctor has a great graphic of this. And there are very few nutrients in fruits that are not present also in vegetables.

Remember that it's not just berries, either, that you can/should periodically include. "Stone fruits" so anything with a pit in them: peaches, apricots, nectarines, etc., may also be included in lower portions...

But remember, if blood glucose management is a goal, watermelon is considered to be one of the "most offensive" fruits, as it's nearly all sugar water and very little fiber or other bulk. Also, most folks with allergies should avoid most melons, as they can be mold carriers.
  • LowCarb4Me2016
    LowCarb4Me2016 Posts: 575 Member
    Options
    No very often. If we were say driving through Georgia when the peaches were in season- yeah, I'm probably going to eat one. Most of the time I can do without. I do miss apples, those are my favorite.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    Another factor, and your mileage may vary on this one, is that when I found myself working hard to justify keeping or adding certain foods back into my regular intake, or even as a treat, I really had to look at the WHY...

I'm a food addict, and I'm a sugar addict. My levels of insulin resistance and my binge-eating and compulsive-eating tendencies lead me to that dangerous edge of "just one bite" way, WAY too easily, and far more often that I'd like to admit in polite company. Although I absolutely love, adore, and miss certain foods - when I started negotiating with myself to include it (I'll eat zero carb for breakfast and lunch so that I can have half an XYZ at dinner, or 300 calories for 2 meals so that I can add EFG food to my other meal, or I'll IF so that I can eat 1000 calories at breakfast, etc.), especially when to the point of excluding other key nutrition, to work in a "forbidden" item, I really had to stop and examine my relationship with that food.

Now I'm not saying this applies to you AT ALL or in ANY WAY... I just wanted to share my experiences in this arena.

I find that these days, I'm eating less chocolate than I'd like, less junk/convenience/prepared foods, and fruits are not always a part of my daily existence. 2 years ago, I'd have likely told you that I couldn't live without my daily chocolate/other indulgence. Now it is a nice sweet treat, but I can conceive of my day without chocolate in it without thinking that the world is coming to an end, immediately. I can't quantify when this changed for me, and I still struggle on the daily with a number of things, but it's nice to not have certain foods override my sanity....

And what's funny or ironic to me now is that when I find a food that makes me think, "Oh, I could NEVER give THAT up!" My brain kicks into a different gear, ala Barney Stinson, and proclaims, "Challenge ACCEPTED!"
  • carlsoda
    carlsoda Posts: 3,412 Member
    Options
    very interesting question. I never really have any high sugar fruit, sometimes I'll take a little of my husbands orange because they are so tasty but I typically stick to blueberries and strawberries. What makes this question interesting is that I've been so bad lately with sugar in processed foods. I still stay away from fruit but not m&m's. Ummmm something wrong with that picture. Thank you for your question!!
  • bluets2011
    Options
    [quote="Just_Eric; nectarines are too damned delicious.[/quote]

Nectarines in summer....
    I gave 24pounds to go yet and I have been feeling really good onLCHF I need to get my priorities right :-)

• RalfLott
    RalfLott Posts: 5,036 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    bluets2011 wrote: »
    I'm new to LC lifestyle. In just 30 days I have enjoyed many of the proclaimed benefits: lost 6.6 pounds, more energy, less water retention. But I miss fruit other than berries.

So how can I fit some of my favourite ones such as papaya, watermelon and mango still keeping LC?

You have to get it through your head (as I did mine, I hasten to say!) that fruits are not just vehicles for sugar. They contain plenty of vitamins, minerals, fibre and compounds which are very beneficial for many aspects of dietary intake.

Papayas, for example, are recommended to diabetics. Although very sweet, they're actually quite low in sugar.
    Watermelon, apples, peaches....all really good for you...
    Do some research and then eat.
    With a clear conscience. ;)

Whoa. :scream:

The ADA has recommended all sorts of things that are bad for diabetics, so the fact that someone has recommended anything, including sweet fruits, for diabetics is no surprise.

However.... Papayas are not "low in sugar," and the other goodies are not simply "really good" for everyone. For diabetics and carb addicts, mileage will vary greatly.
  • LizinLowell
    LizinLowell Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    I don't think I was ever so dismayed as when I learned that the sugar in fruit affects me the same as the sugar in candy. I think I was watching a Gary Taubes video. If I ever do decide to have some I will certainly pair fruit with protein and eat it in very small quantities. But for my personal physiology, right now, fruit is a no go.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    I eat keto LCHF due to insulin resistance. I tend to avoid a lot of starchy root veggies and higher GI fruit because of that. I fruit splurge for me would be 2-3 slices of melon and berries. Fruit is a more sugar than I need.

If I did not have metabolic issues, or other health issues, I would not worry about it that much. If you are going to treat yourself with sugar, fruit is probably the best way to do it. ;)

I think I have had 2 or 3 chunks of pineapple over the past 2 years. Maybe a banana. Probably an apple or two. Maybe 4 to 6 oranges. A handful of grapes. I've hand more berries than anything but it still is not a great deal.

I haven't had any fruit for about 2 months.

I've never been a huge fruit eater so cutting back on fruit was not a hardship for me.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Ketosis is currently not a goal for me. When it was, fruit didn't fit my carbs except a berry or 2. Now that I've upped my carbs a bit, I've already had fresh watermelon.
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    o792q96xkjl4.jpg
    ea4fp30d26vu.png
    k1nrlq5i2tud.jpg
    45u28ccjja5g.jpgu5b00fn96n6n.png

>:) or o:)
  • Seajolly
    Seajolly Posts: 1,435 Member
    Options
    I haven't had any fruit since going LC, but as the warm weather starts rolling in, fruit is sounding so good to me right now. I'm thinking of allowing myself perhaps 1 day a week where I can eat all the fruit my heart desires.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    edited May 2017
    Options
    bluets2011 wrote: »

I am not a fruit person so prolly not that often. That said, I do like to plan in a special dinner once a month. I schedule it around family celebrations. Didn't have one this month but I did have a small ice cream at a anniversary celebration.

The trick for me (and everyone is different) is that I have more carbs than normal but I don't just stuff my face with them cause I can. I might have my usually steak and asparagus but add a potato and dessert. I also make it a one hour or so "cheat" (that word triggers a lot of ppl), and not a full day. Sometimes it doesn't even break ketosis especially if I'm deep in. Depends. But that's my experience and advice.

Edit: I want to add I'm diabetic so I might have different goals and motivations than others who could do it more often.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    as a side tip... when you buy a piece of fruit, choose the smallest one there is - if you are the kind of person who cannot leave a piece to be put back in the fridge eg. half an apple or half a banana. It's an easy way to limit the carb count without feeling like you are 'depriving' yourself of something. Also as the others have said... it does depend on your purpose for eating this way. For some people some foods are just not healthy (even if they are considered 'healthy' normally). As an example, even though nuts are healthy and low carb, someone with an allergy or other sensitivity could not even consider a little bit as healthy, for them.
  • JessicaLCHF
    JessicaLCHF Posts: 1,265 Member
    Options
    Reason and moderation. My type of thinking! I'll admit I cringe when I hear of LCer eating oranges, but at the same time, it's their body, their rules. I have no idea of their circumstances. I certainly wouldn't throw anyone under a bus for it.

Especially when you think of the millions eating 300 carbs a day and thinking it's perfectly normal. The back of every food package in America tells you to.