Strong Curves

Options
tawanda6329
tawanda6329 Posts: 139 Member
Has anyone tried the 'Strong Curves A Woman's Guide to Building a Better Butt and Body' program?

I start on Monday. Just wondering if anyone else has actually done it and seen results.

Replies

• vjohn04
    vjohn04 Posts: 2,276 Member
    Options
    I've not done it, but heard pretty good things. Bret Contreras knows his stuff.
  • BinaryPulsar
    BinaryPulsar Posts: 8,927 Member
    Options
    I'm doing it, and I like it!
  • BarbellCowgirl
    BarbellCowgirl Posts: 1,271 Member
    Options
    I'm seriously considering it after I finish NROL Supercharged. Interested to hear what others think!
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    Cassandra Forsythe, one of the co-authors of NROLFW, wrote the forward for the book. The author of Strong Curves, Bret Contreras, is her trainer.

I love the book and the continuing info on the blog that Bret Contreras writes. I have learned a lot about activating the glutes during deadlifts and every other exercise that I do. I've learned a lot about targeting the glutes. Building a work out plan that works for exactly what I am working to achieve and accomplish. And since reading his book I have learned to strengthen my own body in a way that improves my past injuries and does not make them worse. Sometimes on mfp, people do assume that we are all the same and all injuries are the same and everyone should do everything the same (perhaps that is my misunderstanding of what I read on here at times). In reality I would say that: "Similar, but not the same" is a better goal for some. I have genetic structural issues that I was born with, plus a long history of professional dance training (it's a type of athlete), and serious car/bike accidents, as well as other instances of trauma that led to injury. I really like Bret Contreras a lot. And his info is all based in science. I like that there are so many options. I can use weights at the gym, but I can also build a body weight program to do when I am traveling. This program fits perfectly for me and helps me with my strength and technique for dancing. I also still like info from The New Rules of Lifting for Life and find the two complementary. And I like info from Girls Gone Strong and Tom Venuto (burn the fat, feed the muscle).

I have great glute genetics (plus my history of professional dance training), so I can't give credit for that to Strong Curves. But, I can give Strong Curves credit for rapidly helping me remember and find glute activation, learning more of the right ways to work my body and glutes, and for helping me to regain and maintain my youthful figure.

I really love the program. Maybe we could even start a group about it.
  • tawanda6329
    tawanda6329 Posts: 139 Member
    Options
    I started yesterday. Is there an app to log your information? I do not like the paper & pen method of recording your workout.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I don't know. I just use paper and pen (I like that way).
  • Lupercalia
    Lupercalia Posts: 1,857 Member
    Options
    I've not used the program, but I like Bret Contreras, read his writings and listen to his podcast, and I follow a lot of his advice in my own training.

If you're looking for an app to log your workouts, you might check out Fitocracy.
  • jenluvsushi
    jenluvsushi Posts: 933 Member
    Options
    There is a SC group on FB that I am a member of....lots of great info there and Brett also posts on there occasionally. I would be doing the program right now if I wasn't preggo.
  • Beeps2011
    Beeps2011 Posts: 11,995 Member
    Options
    I'm going to do the bodyweight pieces, from his book, while on vacation (no access to free weights while away). I'm pretty excited!

And, I've been subbing in weighted glute bridges and weighted hip thrusts for TONS of the 'quad-dominant' moves in my own exercise regimen (to try and keep my glutes firing - mine are UBER-lazy!).
  • gmallan
    gmallan Posts: 2,099 Member
    Options
    I'm probably going to buy the book anyway but just wondering what the workout set up is. How many days per week/roughly how long per session? Is it fairly flexible? I want something that will fit with my other stuff
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I'm probably going to buy the book anyway but just wondering what the workout set up is. How many days per week/roughly how long per session? Is it fairly flexible? I want something that will fit with my other stuff

Yes, it is very flexible. He has a full body program (for different levels), a body weight program (for people without gym or weights), and an only lower body program if you just want to add that into what you already do.
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    There is a SC group on FB that I am a member of....lots of great info there and Brett also posts on there occasionally. I would be doing the program right now if I wasn't preggo.

I'd like to join the group. Do you know what the name of it is?
  • gmallan
    Options

Yes, it is very flexible. He has a full body program (for different levels), a body weight program (for people without gym or weights), and an only lower body program if you just want to add that into what you already do.

Thanks for the feedback. My footy season ends soon and I need to start a new program because I'll have more time to dedicate to lifting. Yay!!!
  • tartsul
    tartsul Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I started yesterday. Is there an app to log your information? I do not like the paper & pen method of recording your workout.

i wear my phone on an arm strap so i can listen to music, time myself, as well as keep track of what i've been doing. when i start a new routine, i like to create a note in my phone with a list of all the exercises i am doing, then as i do them, i record the weights i am using underneath. a new line for each workout. here's a quick example.

One Armed Dumbbell Snatch
    10, 10, 10
    12, 12.5, 15

Dumbbell Single Leg Romanian Deadlift
    10, 12, 12
    12, 12.5, 15

Barbell Bent Over Row
    55, 60, 60
    55, 60, 65

etc

as i do more workouts, i just add the weights i am using underneath the ones from last time. that way, i can see what i did last time, as well as how much i've improved since the beginning. not sure of the layout of your workouts, but i do two separate workouts per stage (i'm doing NROL4W right now). i make a different note in my phone for each workout and just name them 3A or 3B or whatever. it's really easy to keep track of everything, and no carrying around pen and paper.
  • gmallan
    Options
    So I got the book and I'm starting the 12 week advanced gluteal goddess program today. Excited but a little unsure how I'm going to handle the volume. I've been doing twice weekly full-body so 4 a week is a big jump.

If anyone is interested there is a group on facebook called SC Ladies that is for people doing the program. One of the girls on there had complied a spread sheet and workout log for the advanced program that is very helpful
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options
    I just sent a request to join the SC Ladies group! Thanks!

Maybe instead of jumping up from 2 to 4 days, you could do it 3 days a week?
  • gmallan
    Options

I considered that. I'll probably end up doing a mix. Some weeks 3 and some weeks 4 just depending on how I feel. The only reason I was only doing 2 before was because of other training (sport) demands. So hopefully it's not too much :)
  • SadFaerie
    SadFaerie Posts: 243 Member
    Options
    I got the book last week, devoured it and absolutely loving. I am going to incorporate some of the routine into my program.

Here's a quick glimpse into it, for those of you who don't have the book, a workout routine by co author Kellie Davis:
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/round-butt-rockin-body-glute-training-for-women.html
  • BinaryPulsar
    Options

I considered that. I'll probably end up doing a mix. Some weeks 3 and some weeks 4 just depending on how I feel. The only reason I was only doing 2 before was because of other training (sport) demands. So hopefully it's not too much :)

Yeah, I understand. I'm a dancer, so I need to sometimes take breaks or cut down on weights when I am very actively preparing for performances.
  • kikih64
    kikih64 Posts: 349 Member
    Options

Jen, I can't find it when I search. Not sure why. Can you post the link or the full name? Thank you!