Mitochondrial Toxicity Common Causes

Options
GaleHawkins
GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
mitoaction.org/blog/medication-exposures-mitochondrial-toxicity

Personally I see failing Mitochondrial Health as a major factor in all forms of premature death so this article grabbed my attention especially the Keto Diet part. Read the full article because I am just pasting the Keto Diet warning that may apply to some.

"Diet The Ketogenic diet (used sometimes for those with seizure disorders) can be a stressor for those with mitochondrial disease. This diet increases cellular utilization of the beta oxidation pathway. This diet can be helpful for those with a pyruvate dehydrogenase disorder. Avoid diet deficiencies of any kind. It is important for patients to have a balanced diet including pyridoxine (B6), ferrodoxin, iron, copper, riboflavin (B2), zinc, and selenium as well as other vitamins and/or minerals. Avoid fasting! A state of hyperglycemia can also be toxic and lead to problems similar to those of diabetics. Hyperglycemiacan cause increased superoxide production (oxygen free radical) in the endothelium, which can lead to a vascular endotheliopathy (vessel wall dysfunction and metabolic derangement). Some foods like peas, beans, legumes, and almonds have substances in them that can be toxic to the mitochondria."

Replies

• GaleHawkins
    Options
    https://my.clevelandclinic.org/health/articles/what-are-mitochondrial-diseases

The list below are quite common supplements many take already.

Treatments for mitochondrial disease may include:

--Vitamins and supplements including:

Coenzyme Q10
    B complex vitamins, especially thiamine (B1) and riboflavin (B2),
    Alpha lipoic acid
    L-carnitine (Carnitor)
    Creatine
    L-Arginine
    --Exercises. Both endurance exercises and resistance/strength training. These are done to increase muscle size and strength. Endurance exercises include walking, running, swimming, dancing, cycling and others. Resistance/strength training include such exercises such as sit-ups, arm curls, knee extensions, weight lifting and others.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    Thanks Gale... I'm not sure where to go with this as I have fibromyalgia (which includes mitochondrial ATP pathway insufficiency) and early signs of Hashimoto's Thyroiditis although I have improved things dramatically with supplementation (your list above plus more stuff, lol). I feel better when not eating all the time (IF'ing generally 16:8 but sometimes 24 hrs) and around 40 or 50g carb. The exercise thing is easy to say, but can be difficult when my cells take twice as long to recover (to clear the byproducts of exercise like lactic acid, etc) as 'normal' (proven in fibromyalgia). I used to be a fitness instructor/personal trainer/rehab physio assistant BEFORE I got sick. What a change in my life.

Maybe they are referring to very strict Keto and not at my level (?), I also see that CoQ10 is on the list of baddies AND good-for-mitochondria.

Some days I want to throw up my hands, eat a tub of Nutella, drink a Pina Colada, and go live in a cave.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    Been done, so I see no reason why not.....

(Grocery delivery is a bit of a hit-and-miss challenge, though (I've read the book)....)
  • GaleHawkins
    Options
    My total health and quality of life has so improved with Keto Diet I am going to take this information with a grain of salt since I am on supplements to support mitochondrial health an number like PQQ etc.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    Options
    I supplement most of those things in general, or due to hypothyroidism (currently labeled non-specified), but the thing I've added lately that really seems to help is the carnitine. I'm not sure of the how's or why's, but I don't even know specifically what mitochondria related issues are, so I'm going to have to read through these links...just for info...

CoQ10 is one of those you hear about, but is pricey!

However, Arginine is NOT happening. It's got major conflicts with any life-long viral issues, and I suffer one of those.

Sometimes I wish Wonderland (wormholes of information) didn't exist, because I always feel like the more I learn, the less I know...
  • canadjineh
    Options
    Yep the more I learn, the less I know too.
    Been done, so I see no reason why not.....

(Grocery delivery is a bit of a hit-and-miss challenge, though (I've read the book)....)

The cave maybe... But I really should stay away from Nutella and Pina Colada.
  • CrispyStars3
    CrispyStars3 Posts: 199 Member
    Options
    I was unaware of mitochondrial toxicity... more info to soak up.
  • Working2BLean
    Working2BLean Posts: 386 Member
    Options
    Do you have mitochondrial toxicity?

How is it established one has it?

• canadjineh
    Options
    Do you have mitochondrial toxicity?

How is it established one has it?
    WARNING: heavy duty sciencey stuff :D
    cyprotex.com/toxicology/mechanistic-toxicity/mitochondrial-toxicity
    cyprotex.com/toxicology/mechanistic-toxicity/functional-mitochondrial-toxicity-assay