Recent surgery

Options
gemini73j
gemini73j Posts: 11 Member
I had a rny in 2009. I lost a 144 lbs. but shortly after that my brother died. There went all my hard work. Over the following years weight piled on. As it did more depression and co-mornifities came back. Equals more meds. More weight. That one life changing event cancelled out my process. So then since then I have been working with my dietician and doctor quarterly. Complications and scopes were common. I became deficient in a lot of vitamins. I was a poster child for what not to do. Then I started getting migraines. I was put on topomax and they started getting better but not quite. One issue I had was the difficulty getting back off my Diet Coke habit I started again. The topomax made that and a lot of things taste awful. I started losing the weight. Another issue that started around the migraines was chest pain. Over the next six months it got worse. My various Doctors gave me varying diagnoses. Finally my bariatric doctor had me scoped. I had a pretty bad haital hernia. I had surgery 5/17/17. I guess it was worse than the team thought. It was repaired. If i am to understand correctly the surgeon told me he had to repair the pouch as well. A mini revision! It's a second chance! I want to do it right this time. I learned no matter what stressors or what not life gives you your pouch doesn't care. It wants it's routine. There's no room for error or changes etc. The pouch rules. It doesn't care if I get depressed or if my family members pass away. I know that know. Anyway, after my surgery recently I wasnt discharged with much information. I have had to call to figure things out and I'm still not sure what's going on. I'm trying to figure things out. Well I have other health issues so I forget a lot. Plus life is already trying to get in the way. This past week or so has been filled with drama and good and bad stressors. My son graduated high school and my daughter got her first apt and so much more. Then there was some bad things too. So I have been drinking my water but just realized that I forgot about protein shakes. Then I am on a lot of meds so I can only have 1 every 15 minutes. Let's just say that takes all day and night and a lot don't get taken. It's not starting off well! So I have only been having water and Powerade zero. I lost 24 lbs in May. I blame my stupitiy on the stress and hecticness of the recent days. Then there is the lack of communication and my memory issues. Today my mom said I could be starving to death. I never realized it. I am only allowed to have liquid diet until I see the doctor on May 30th. Another thought is my migraines are completely gone. Even on my meds I still had some migraines but it worked much better. Any help or insights for me? Sorry so long.

Replies

• fit_chickx
    fit_chickx Posts: 571 Member
    Options
    Sorry to hear about your complications and struggles. It's fantastic that you are working with your bariatric team. Like you have said above, This is your second chance. You know what you need to do. We are here for support and to cheer you on. The goal is healthy. Follow your Dr's plan.

Everyone will experience life stresses. Be prepared for them before they happen. Find healthy coping skills to help you get through them.

Something to consider as an option. Counseling/therapy. You sound like you have many stressors going on. Never be ashamed for seeking help. There are professionals that work with bariatric patients specifically. Issues they cover include stress/emotional eating, behavior changes, and eating disorders.

The goal is healthy. Do whatever you need to take care of yourself.

• gemini73j
    gemini73j Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    Thank you for your words. I didn't notice I had a reply. Since posting I have been sent to get Iv fluids twice. The second timer the local hospital couldn't find s good vein for the iv. That was over the weekend. It was pretty tough but today there was a change. I had a lot more energy and felt pretty good. I won't let the weight take over. I got this. I have to stay focused.