Lasagna?

Options
EryOaker
EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
So I'm going to attemp a lasagna made with squash instead of noodles. My fear is fear it won't gel up, because the squash will release its water and make the whole thing a soggy mess. Has anyone tried this? Got a tried and true recipe?

Replies

• 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I saw one like this... I think they sliced it, put it on paper towels and put salt in them. Then they rolled it up and set it in the fridge for awhile to get some moisture out.
  • tcunbeliever
    tcunbeliever Posts: 8,219 Member
    Options
    I use zucchini and yellow squash sliced thin instead of noodle, and I haven't had any issues with it being too watery when baked - I don't cook it with a lid, so I expect most of the water just cooks off in the oven anyway
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    try baking it before hand... like aubergines in a moussaka....
  • KenSmith108
    KenSmith108 Posts: 1,966 Member
    Options
    sb7tge79c8x1.jpg

Rolling tongue back into mouth...

>:) or o:)
  • anglyn1
    anglyn1 Posts: 1,803 Member
    Options
    I make mine with spaghetti squash. I microwave the squash and shred it. Squeeze out some of the liquid and then just layer it between the meat and cheese. I have never been able to make it with zucchini and not have it all liquidy.
  • nikoba
    nikoba Posts: 291 Member
    Options
    I second the mention of slicing the squash, salting it, and letting it sit in a colander or paper towel for 20-30 min so the salt can draw out the moisture.
  • EryOaker
    EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
    Options
    9d87vws01fau.jpg
    w3iu2l3fa4l9.jpg
    qi4uf4eg3rp0.jpg
  • EggToni
    EggToni Posts: 190 Member
    Options
    Looks like you're off to a good start. Epicurious has a recipe where after the squash/zucchini is salted and resting for 15 minutes to grill each side for 2-3 minutes before layering. Kinda makes sense.
  • My4happykids
    My4happykids Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I was thinking that come summer squash season I would dehydrate them for spaghetti and lasagna then I would have "dried noodles" in the cupboard. Just another idea
  • Just_Eric
    Just_Eric Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    You have my full attention.
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Here's a link to a LC-friendly zucchini lasagna I use and love (it really is fabulous and delicious):

https://asweetlife.org/grilled-zucchini-lasagna/

The originating author is Carolyn of www.alldayidreamaboutfood.com.

You'll note that the success of this recipe is largely dependent upon the fact that you have to grill/cook the zucchini slices once before putting the recipe together. It helps dry the out so that the final product isn't too wet. Hope this info helps!
  • Just_Eric
    Options
    homersimpsondrooling.gif
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Just_Eric wrote: »
    homersimpsondrooling.gif

"Mmmmmm....Lasagna....! What, Marge...? Made with vegetables - ?! D'oh!!"
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    I've made the lasagna from peace, love and low carb website and it's absolutely to die for!! "Just like the real thing" which is what the recipe is called! Yum
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    I read the recipe. I'm sorry, as an Italian - waaay too many short-cuts there - I would never use the marinara sauce - with three cheeses? So you've got cheese, on top of cheese, with more cheese, and then cheese, oh, and have some meat and tomatoes - then add a layer of several cheeses, with more cheese.... - and dried onion flakes...? Mother of God, why??

No. Sorry.
    Nothing LIKE 'the real thing'.... I'll stick to my moussaka - which is, after all, lasagne with aubergines instead of pasta....
  • Just_Eric
    Options
    First you came with "courgette", now "aubergines". I think you're making things up. The next thing you're going to say is, hell, I don't know, that you call arugula "rocket" or some other absurdity.
  • gettinthere
    gettinthere Posts: 529 Member
    Options
    There's not an ounce of italian in me....guess I don't know any better! lol
    I do make my own meat sauce but I do use mozzarella and ricotta cheese.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    Just_Eric wrote: »
    First you came with "courgette", now "aubergines". I think you're making things up. The next thing you're going to say is, hell, I don't know, that you call arugula "rocket" or some other absurdity.

Arugula makes more sense (not that I'm agreeing with you) because in Italian, arugula is 'Auricola'.
    But in every other aspect, you're totally wrong.
    And I say that, because we can't possibly be seen to agree on anything.
    That would just upset too many of our ardent fans and avid followers. (I've lost count.....)

And that would never do.

• AlexandraCarlyle
    Options
    There's not an ounce of italian in me....guess I don't know any better! lol
    I do make my own meat sauce but I do use mozzarella and ricotta cheese.

Sorry, @gettinthere, I hit a bit of a rant moment.... take no notice. Put it down to "Imma'TalianMomma' syndrome.....