I miss my Starbucks!!!!

Options
2»

Replies

• Aquawave
    Aquawave Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I make my own coffee at home (Caffeinated), Jamaica Blue Mtn Blend from Costco. A dollop of heavy whipping Cream and a touch of vanilla extract. I drink three cups. No sweeteners of any kind. Around 4 pm, I have a cup of Earl Gray, hot. That's it--no soda.
  • KnitOrMiss
    KnitOrMiss Posts: 10,104 Member
    edited June 2017
    Options
    Great ideas guys! Thx so much!! I don't think I'll ever be totally off caffeine!! I have had Coke Zero and mio energy so I haven't been off caffeine....

@MeghanC1840 - I get you. I'm there. I can't/won't do coffee as my body and coffee are 100% incompatible, but I do caffeine in other forms...

If you find one type of sweetener doesn't work for you, don't be afraid to try others. I don't tolerate powders well, nor any liquids with "natural flavors" in them. Walden Farms products tend to give me instant migraines, and I've no idea what they HIDE under that term...

Just remember, a long term success in this regard will be dialing back your sweet tooth's settings. You want to reduce the sweeteners as much as possible to still make your drinks/treats enjoyable without instantly wanting ANOTHER ONE RIGHT NOW.... So just start small and use a little bit less every few times until you adjust to the lowest level you're comfortable with. For most of us, it happens over time. Some of us have to be deliberate about it... And some things I like a lot sweeter than other things, so it's really a trial and error process.

But if you like Splenda, that's great. Most of those syrups use splenda/sucralose. Stevia is another one that there are a ton of different types of it (some artificial, some natural). There are things like monkfruit, and old school stuff like sweet and low and nutrisweet...there are things like lacuma powder and yacon syrup that are a little higher in carbs, but less side effects/reactions on the body... So there are SOOO many things to try. The things I try to stick with is avoiding aspartame, ace K, maltodextrin, and dextrose - for different reasons. Sucralose is said to have gut effects (any pink, blue, or yellow packet is supposed to have those), but I don't know if liquid does... So there's a world of options to try.

Just be sure to address the mental side of the sweet craving, too. It will serve you better in the long run that just finding straight up swaps.

EDITED TO ADD: No judgments here, I promise! Just opinions and sharing what has worked for me. First time I did low carb, I never addressed my sugar/sweet cravings/addictions. This time, I've focused on the mental side of things, and it's helped loads - and of course, a decade of maturity and perspective never hurt anyone. LOL
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Y'all before I started Keto I was a Starbucks iced caramel macchiato EVERY MORNING kind of gal. This is the only thing I crave now 3 weeks in. I just feel like I NEED it to wake up. Anyone have any suggestions on what I could replace this with that is Keto friendly?? I've stuck to my guns and gone without but the struggle is REAL now.

If the "need" is to "wake up", any drink with equal caffeine should do.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    did you know Americano and Espresso shots have more carbs than drip coffee? just fyi folks.

By volume, but not by serving size. 1 ounce of espresso and 1 cup of coffee both have about a half gram of carbs.
    Kinda like the alcohol in a shot of whiskey compared to a glass of beer: same alcohol, different volume.
  • PaulaJSchiller
    PaulaJSchiller Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    I started making iced coffee at home with 1T HWC and 2T SF syrup. It hits the spot for me. I live in an area void of the popular coffee places, so that helps.