Two weeks of 16:8

Options
LizinLowell
LizinLowell Posts: 208 Member
1x202c3rtjkv.png

I started 16:8 on May 16th. I'm doing strict Keto with a caloric deficit & circuit training exercise 3x week. I'm 47, 5'8". I don't lose weight fast but looks like IF will get me there slow and steady as I reduce my insulin resistance.

Glad to learn about ALL the science, makes such a big difference knowing WHY CICO didn't work for me & why I was gaining weight even being grain-free & low carb for 13 years.

Replies

• dulcitonia
    dulcitonia Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    WooHoo!
  • LizinLowell
    Options
    @dulcitonia LOL thanks :) I'm hoping this amount of fasting is beneficial enough as it is easy to do daily. I could try a longer period but I'd rather not have to. We'll see. What has worked for you?
  • dulcitonia
    Options
    I lost 80lbs doing low carb (75-100g) and maintained(mostly) it for several years. However, I noticed a couple years ago that I accidentally lost 10-12lb while traveling a lot . I believe it was due to the IF like schedule.
    I'm starting 16:8 to see if I can get the benefits of insulin stability and lose a few pounds I've put back on.
  • LizinLowell
    Options
    Ah! That's interesting about the travel clue. Will be curious how you do on IF, thanks for friending me! I changed my username & filled in my profile & made my diary open to friends.
  • Clownfish423
    Clownfish423 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    I'm going back to 16:8 starting today. I've crept up about 2 pounds, after losing 20 pounds since last fall using IF and low carb. Two back-to-back vacations have contributed to the weight gain! I usually start my 16:8 with a cup of coffee with half & half/coconut oil, then start solid food later when I get hungry.
  • LizinLowell
    Options
    Sounds good @Clownfish423 Are you already at goal weight and maintaining? Or do you have more to lose?
  • Clownfish423
    Clownfish423 Posts: 108 Member
    Options
    Sounds good @Clownfish423 Are you already at goal weight and maintaining? Or do you have more to lose?

I have more to lose, specifically about 25 pounds. I've been "experimenting" with IF since last fall off and on, but then I stopped when vacations got in the way! IF definitely helped, so I'm going to try 4 days of 16:8 with 3 days (Friday, Saturday, Sunday) of low carb and see if this shakes things up. I'm also going to rejoin the gym this week. I've been trying to get 10,000 steps per day of walking, but I would like to throw in some strength training also.

I'm down about 40 pounds total from my all-time high weight just by following mostly low carb for a number of years. I'm in the 180's now for the first time in about 15 years!
  • dulcitonia
    Options
    My 16:8 ended up 18:6 first week, now I'm 20:4.... because I'm trying not to eat if I'm not hungry. Anyone else see the time creep?
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    Through a LCHF Ladies 50Y+ group I saw a Jason Fung M.D. podcast about fasting. Although I had previously heard of 5:2 & 4:3 calorie restriction routines, this was the first time I had heard of a fast less than 24h. I also learned that if I took the milk out of my coffee I was essentially doing a 16:8 IF! So this morning my coffee was black. I did my HIIT this morning and am going on hour 18.
  • lpina2mi
    lpina2mi Posts: 425 Member
    Options
    @dulcitonia 16:8 was a seamless fit as soon as I took the milk out of coffee. Did aim for 20:4--ran into issue today/Day4, so reverted to 16:8. Aiming for 20:4 tomorrow.
  • dulcitonia
    Options
    "Officially" 1month in today. Down 8 pounds! I know it will slow down but I'm feeling pretty good about this past month.