I binged

Options
LolaDeeDaisy23
LolaDeeDaisy23 Posts: 383 Member
Things were going so well. I was slowly losing weight and I saw the bag of almonds in front of me and couldn't stop eating them. I ate 4 servings in one sitting. Went over about 800 calories. Next morning, I wanted to see the damage... up 3 pounds. It took me a month to lose those 3 pounds. Yesterday went down one pound and today the exact same weight as yesterday. WHYYY. I'm drinking a gallon of water per day, getting in all my electrolytes, resuming workouts, I even cut calories the past 3 days to make up for my overage.

How long does it usually take for this water weight to go away?

Replies

• AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    How long have you been doing this, again....?
    Don't over-do the water. Drink sensibly, but not excessively.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    Options
    I've been eating keto for about 2 years but I haven't tried to actively lose weight eating this way. I used keto to maintain the whole time while my exercise became nonexistent. Towards the end, I started lifting again and eating at a surplus, gaining about .5-1 pound per week.
  • Freischuetz
    Freischuetz Posts: 147 Member
    Options
    how many days you have until your event? or you just want to get rid of the extra water?
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    Sounds like water and muscle and lack of consistency in your routine. It will take 2 weeks of being strict and consistent to get the train back on track. I know I have been there! You'll do it
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    Try a protein sparing modified fast once or twice a week maybe.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    Options
    @Freischuetz It's not until the beginning of October. I'm trying to do a slow cut, slow and steady.
    @JohnnyLowCarb 2 weeks?? I am definitely not overeating again. Down .8 pounds this morning. Still over by 1.5.
    @Sunny_Bunny_ I've read about it. I think Lyle wrote a book on that? I need to look more into it. Thank you.
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    @LolaDeeDaisy23 Could be sooner, but yep, the water needs to be removed from the cells, they will hold on tight. It sucks I know. OBTW: I love almonds too and really have to watch it. I try to keep them out of the house, those calorie packed goodness - can get the best of us.
  • Sunny_Bunny_
    Sunny_Bunny_ Posts: 7,140 Member
    Options
    @Freischuetz It's not until the beginning of October. I'm trying to do a slow cut, slow and steady.
    @JohnnyLowCarb 2 weeks?? I am definitely not overeating again. Down .8 pounds this morning. Still over by 1.5.
    @Sunny_Bunny_ I've read about it. I think Lyle wrote a book on that? I need to look more into it. Thank you.

He did and it's becoming more popular lately. On Maria Emmerich's website, they have updated their macro calculator to include psmf and now Ted Naiman has one on his site too.
    Sorry I don't have links at the moment.
    I'd use Lyles calculator or Ted's right now though because Craig Emmerich said (yesterday) there was a miscalculation in theirs currently and he's having it fixed.
    I may try this a couple days a week when I get back from vacation :)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    Personally, I wouldn't overreact to 800 calories of almonds. It's 800 calories of almonds and a far cry from what most would call "a binge" as the title of the thread suggests. Your scale showed a little water retention one day and you have already shed half of it. Water weight fluctuations happen daily. You've never had a fluctuation in your years of monitoring food intake? If you are not currently weighing daily, I'll go out on a limb and say perhaps you should start so you can get accustomed to these weight fluctuations.

I believe you are prepping for a body competition in October? Use the next 4 months to monitor water retention and read on the body building sites to learn what the pros do to rid themselves of excess water weight prior to competition. I'm quite certain they have many tricks up their sleeves to accomplish this goal.

Maybe your body is sensitive to almonds? Maybe it is that TOM where your body stores/hangs on to fluids? Maybe your personal emotional sensitivity/reaction to eating too many nuts sent your cortisol sky rocketing thus creating water retention. Maybe the nuts were salted and sent you above normal sodium intake for you. Were they salted almonds?
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    Options
    @kpk54 800 calories doesn't seem like a lot, but it's the physical act of binging that is of greater importance. I eat and eat, and it's so difficult to stop. The fact that I stopped at 800 calories is a little surprising to me honestly...considering I can throw back 2000 calories in a sitting.
    Before, I never focused so much on weight. If the scale jumped up a pound or two or three, I didn't care much and knew it will go back down eventually.
    Now that I have a different mindset, with a deadline...it's a little worrisome when I lose 3 pounds in 1 month and it only takes 800 calories to put me back at my starting weight.
    I know the water weight will eventually go away, hence I said "water weight." I made this thread to see how long it typically lasts for others.
    It's surprisingly difficult to find much resources for bodybuilding on keto. Yes most bodybuilders have ways of flushing out water and carbing up for a show, but they are eating carbs, not keto. Keto requires a different protocol and does not need a carb up before stepping on stage.

To answer your questions: I don't think I'm intolerant to almonds. I've eaten them before with no problems. I don't get a period, I don't ovulate. No TOM for me. Maybe my cortisol levels are high, i don't know how to measure that. Yes they were salted.
  • baconslave
    baconslave Posts: 6,954 Member
    Options
    Nut carbs add up.
    Ask me how I know...
    800cal of almonds would be 30gish total carbs. Even with net carbs, that's 15gish. Could have been enough to refill your glycogen. Just a theory. I don't know how many other carbs you had that day. When I was keto it took me 4-5 days minimum to get the water weight off from slipping out of ketosis. Very frustrating. Sorry you are having such a hard time getting that nonsense off.
  • LolaDeeDaisy23
    edited June 2017
    Options
    @baconslave They add up so quickly! That could be it as well. Thank you for your reply. You're right it takes 5 days!

For those following, I weighed myself this morning and I'm at an all time low weight.
    Yesterday and the day before, my weight was stuck at 134.8. Today I'm at 131.8. It took a total of 5 days of water retention to fall off.

Monday: +800 calories
    Tuesday: had a -450 deficit
    Wednesday: had a -150 deficit
    Thursday: had a -150 deficit
    Friday: returned to normal calories
    Saturday: normal weight