LTL - Friday, 2 June 2017

Tripaway
Tripaway Posts: 71 Member
Everyone says it, but just how do you do it? How do you take the guidelines of the WW program and turn them into a lifestyle you can live every day...from now on? That is what we are here to explore. Each weekday, a new topic is offered up for discussion. Newbie? Join in! Veteran? Join in! Your thoughts may be just what someone else needs to hear.

Monday -- whathapnd (Emmie)
Tuesday -- RedSassyPants
Wednesday -- minimyzeme (Kim)
Thursday -- Wild Card Day--open to anyone who grabs it!
Friday -- Tripaway

Today's topic: My Eyes are Bigger Than My Stomach!

So I know portion control is a huge deal for many people, especially when you're eating something particularly fantastic! What are some of your tips and tricks for not only managing the portion sizes you actually consume but also for managing your will power to avoid over-eating. What are your strategies?

Replies

• Rachel0778
    Rachel0778 Posts: 1,701 Member
    I pre-portion my lunches for the week in Tupperware. If I don't bring it to work I can't eat it. Same goes for home-cooked dinners at home. Eating out is harder, but I try to always bring some home for a second meal (and I only eat out about once a week which helps).
  • MurpleCat
    MurpleCat Posts: 229 Member
    My primary strategy is to weigh/measure everything when I'm eating at home. I put my serving on my plate, and leave the pots/pans in the kitchen, so that taking a second helping (or "just a little bit more won't hurt") would take some effort. Often, that's enough of a barrier -- I mean, of course I *could* go get more, if I really wanted to. But having to go get it, that brief few seconds of pause, give my better nature a chance to assert itself and say "Nope, you're done."

All that practice at home means I have a better "eye" for portion control when eating away from home.

Now, managing the willpower is a different beast entirely. For that, I use a lot of self-talk. "I really don't want a donut." or "I am only going to eat half of that enormous baked potato."

And I try not to tax my willpower too much. Often its easier to say 'no' to dessert altogether than to get it and try to eat only half of it. I don't feel deprived when I do that, I feel like I am acknowledging my limitations and practicing preventative self-care (staring down half a bowl of ice cream causes me much stress. Best to avoid the situation in the first place!)
  • 88olds
    88olds Posts: 4,517 Member
    edited June 2017
    11 years in. Haven't tracked for 6 years except in times crisis. Twice.

I still weigh and measure at home.

Never resorted to taking my scale to a restaurant though. Even when I was hardcore WW.

Willpower? Like Murple, I try to ration it out.

Something I read somewhere- most folks do willpower as all will but little power. I think the power is in a plan. Just say no is a tough way to go. Sometimes it's the only option, but I try to avoid it.
  • MurpleCat
    MurpleCat Posts: 229 Member
    Ditto that. I'd rather be fat, than take my scale or measuring cups to a restaurant.
  • Out_of_Bubblegum
    Out_of_Bubblegum Posts: 2,220 Member
    I look at willpower as a muscle... exercise it and it grows stronger. I find that if I start "slipping" with willpower, it becomes easier and easier to do.. but likewise if I consciously decide what my portions are BEFORE I start eating, the next meal, and the one after, are easier.

There is a definite momentum thing going on with my ability to portion correctly.

Sorry if my thoughts aren't clear this morning.. stayed up late last night helping my daughter with her first science fair project, and still recovering from this nasty cold.
  • Jerdtrmndone
    Jerdtrmndone Posts: 5,792 Member
    I weigh and measure every thing at home. Also like Murple I have to say no to restricted foods
    or it is a catastrophe for me. I use my better judgment In a restaurant and take some
    kind of points or look up at least something in order of what I have eaten.
  • Al_Howard
    Al_Howard Posts: 8,490 Member
    Like most here, TOL and I weigh and measure just about everything at home. I do a lot of the cooking, and aim for just enough, on most things.
    Eating out, for me, is entirely different. Working on NOT over indulging, as I usually feel like carp afterwards (bloated, acid stomach, etc.). As I said, working on it.
  • Jimb376mfp
    Jimb376mfp Posts: 6,236 Member
    Good question! I notice when I drift back to my old portions, like two hot dogs I feel stuffed. I try to supplement with low point items.
    The tricks of drinking water and eating slower help to reduce portions and give me that full feeling without stuffing myself.
  • linmueller
    linmueller Posts: 1,354 Member
    Like Murple, I also sometimes find it easier to just say no. It's one decision and I'm over the temptation and I don't need will power because I've already decided.

Sometimes I plan to eat 1/2. That allows me to take the other half home to weigh and accurately track. And sometimes my DH and I share. Less accurate tracking, but easy because the other half is taken care of.

Sometimes just paying attention to how food tastes makes me realize that it's not as great as I thought it'd be. And what's helped me control my portions best, is the realization that even for the yummiest food, the first few bites of anything are the best.
  • minimyzeme
    minimyzeme Posts: 2,708 Member
    I too still weigh and measure most everything if I'm home. I know that portion size is key for me so it is (now) very rare for me to color too far outside the lines when it comes to how much I eat. If I'm out, I often use a reminder from GOADies past member Frank and split the portion as soon as it gets to the table, taking half home with me. It's also not uncommon for me to order a couple appetizers instead of a full meal. I have no problem eating things out of sequence. I've had soup or more common dinner items for breakfast numerous times. Lastly, I find using smaller plates and bowls contains the damage rather than giving in to the temptation of filling a larger 'vessel'.

As for the willpower, I remind myself daily it is my choice to maintain my weight after dropping almost 80 pounds. I've learned from the GOADies and meeting members who've gone before me that rarely does it work to go it alone. So I haven't stopped doing what I did to lose the weight in the first place (which I did because I wanted to). Signing in to GOAD every morning serves as a reminder that I'll do this another day. I intentionally don't think or say I'll do it the rest of my life; it's too intimidating. I know I can do it for a day. And in reality, that's as long as I have to since one day follows the previous one...