High Iron from Red Meat

Options
TheDevastator
TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
I have read that eating too much red meat is bad because it is full of iron and too much can cause heart disease. I was just wondering if there are any studies that either confirm or deny that it is true.

I also wouldn't mind eating more steaks.

Replies

• retirehappy
    retirehappy Posts: 4,752 Member
    Options
    251 grams of steak has 6 mg of iron. Here is a table from NIH on iron requirements I think you could eat some steak:
    8o3ctbi3py5r.jpg
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Women are at higher risk of too little than too much. Also, unless you have a medical condition that causes you to retain iron, your body is equipped to handle excess from food. It's only when iron is artificially elevated (supplements, transfusions, etc) is iron toxicity really a risk in otherwise healthy people.

Consider this--the northern people across the globe survive and have survived on bison and various types of deer (elk, reindeer, white tail, etc) as their main food, almost exclusively, all of which have at least half again the iron found in beef, and did so with no issue. This is a testament to the body's ability to handle iron from food.
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Dragonwolf wrote: »
    Consider this--the northern people across the globe survive and have survived on bison and various types of deer (elk, reindeer, white tail, etc) as their main food, almost exclusively, all of which have at least half again the iron found in beef, and did so with no issue. This is a testament to the body's ability to handle iron from food.
    I don't eat anything that if fortified with iron anymore so that's what I was looking for. I'm going to fire up the grill and eat a few lbs of steak every day that I can.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I'mma gonna find me some venison to make me some pemmican....
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    I'mma gonna find me some venison to make me some pemmican....

You can do it with any meat. :)

But...mmmm venison pemmican....