Avocado Brownies: full review

Options
EryOaker
EryOaker Posts: 434 Member
I took my time with this one. Mainly because I really wanted it to be good. The brownies, I mean. I cooked a half batch, exactly as directed. The wet batter tastes Devine! The hot-out-of-the-oven brownie tastes nasty. The avocado flavor was way over powering the chocolate. Maybe I just don't like my avocado as a sweet food? I don't know. I genuinely like avocado, so it surprises me that this flavor turned my stomach. So I let it cool all the way, covered them up and let them hang on my counter for a day. I tried another one and it was better but still too much avocado flavor to suit me. Today I had one smothered in whipped cream, and it was better but not by much. If I'm seriously desperate, I may eat one but likely these will go to waste.
On a positive note, the texture is awesome! It is light and fluffy and fudgey. More cake like than brownie like but still great. If you really enjoy avocado in a sweet way, try these. But make a half batch first because the ingredients are expensive if you end up not liking it.

Replies

• EryOaker
    Options
    5u5p8g9a2ydl.jpg
    dgwi5d6cbztw.jpg
  • 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    Thanks for trying it. I like avacado on my sandwiches, but not by themselves. I tried a avacado pudding with the same issue as the brownie.
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I'll stick to eating my avocado, in a savoury way.

My H eats one every day with my own recipe paleo mayo Rose Marie Sauce.
    He goes mad over it, and thinks I make the most divine sauce, ever! so much so that he no longer eats prawn avocado salad at a restaurant!
  • ladipoet
    ladipoet Posts: 4,180 Member
    Options
    Actually, your review gives me hope that I might like sweet avocado-based recipes (I haven't tried to make any so far) since I do not like the taste of plain avocado by itself (shudders).
  • Sabine_Stroehm
    Sabine_Stroehm Posts: 19,263 Member
    Options
    Thanks for trying it. I like avacado on my sandwiches, but not by themselves. I tried a avacado pudding with the same issue as the brownie.

Yes, thanks for trying it for us!
  • EryOaker
    Options
    ladipoet wrote: »
    Actually, your review gives me hope that I might like sweet avocado-based recipes (I haven't tried to make any so far) since I do not like the taste of plain avocado by itself (shudders).

Eat some Lilly's dark chocolate chips with some avocado. If you like that flavor combo, go for it. I actually like avocado but in the brownies it was very off putting because the avocado flavor stood out so much. If you don't like avocado on its own, you may not like this. Try it out with some chocolate and see.
  • canadjineh
    canadjineh Posts: 5,396 Member
    Options
    @CRZYFTM try making them more mole flavoured.... Could be a savoury type choco-avocado treat. You can google mole recipes but of course you won't need any bread crumbs.
  • marthafox1
    marthafox1 Posts: 191 Member
    Options
    I made a batch at the weekend as well... bleugh!! Same issue. Went straight in the bin which made me sad but no way could I eat them - and I had added nuts to mine as well. You're right, the texture is great tho.
  • EryOaker
    Options
    marthafox1 wrote: »
    I made a batch at the weekend as well... bleugh!! Same issue. Went straight in the bin which made me sad but no way could I eat them - and I had added nuts to mine as well. You're right, the texture is great tho.

I had two low carb friends over this weekend and let them try them. They couldn't get past the heavy avocado taste either. They have a lingering after taste from the avocado as well. So the rest went into the trash. It's too bad, because the texture was perfect!
  • EryOaker
    Options
    canadjineh wrote: »
    @CRZYFTM try making them more mole flavoured.... Could be a savoury type choco-avocado treat. You can google mole recipes but of course you won't need any bread crumbs.

Good idea, but I'm not a fan of mole.
  • ladipoet
    Options
    CRZYFTM wrote: »
    ladipoet wrote: »

Eat some Lilly's dark chocolate chips with some avocado. If you like that flavor combo, go for it. I actually like avocado but in the brownies it was very off putting because the avocado flavor stood out so much. If you don't like avocado on its own, you may not like this. Try it out with some chocolate and see.

Sorry @CRZYFTM...while I sincerely appreciate the suggestion, no can do with the Lily's Dark chocolate because it contains soy. I choose not to consume products that have soy in them though I'm still working on weeding them out of my kitchen food stuffs. It's been a really LOOOOOOOOOONNNNGGG process. I have a dear, dear girlfriend who kept giving me bags of Ghirardelli 72% dark chocolate especially when they went on sale (who doesn't love a good sale?! LOL)...finally I had to come out and just ask/tell her to stop it because it contains soy and I felt obligated to eat the darned stuff because it was a gift from her (still have a couple of bags left to use up but getting there). My go to chocolates of choice are Pascha 85% Bittersweet Dark Chocolate Chips mixed 50/50 with Guittard 63% Extra Dark Chocolate Chips neither of which contain soy. I figure the combination of the two gives me about a 74% chocolate so I'm happy and if I try this recipe I'll remember what you said about eating it with chocolate. Have you tried upping the chocolate flavor content of the final product by using chocolate extract, Torani sugar-free chocolate flavored syrup, chocolate flavored liquid stevia, a combination of capella flavor drops (double chocolate) combined with some liquid sucralose? Just a thought...
  • EryOaker
    Options
    @ladipoet I just said Lilly's because it's a well know LCHF item. You can what ever chocolate suits you. To be honest, I'm not revisiting this recipe. I made it super chocolaty and it didn't help. That avocado flavor is sooo strong. And the aftertaste is disgusting.
  • ladipoet
    Options
    No worries @CRZYFTM ...I'll keep in mind everything you were kind enough to share about your experience with making this recipe if I decide to try it!
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    @ladipoet, could I ask why you don't eat soy? Just educating myself....