Exercise Calories

Options
Brendalea69
Brendalea69 Posts: 3,863 Member
My treadmill tells me I burned 268 calories but MFP says I only burned 129 calories...thats a difference of 139 calories...So which one do I use???

Replies

• wsandy8512
    wsandy8512 Posts: 1,897 Member
    Options
    Brenda, everything I've ever read says that machines overestimate. You may want to invest in a heart rate monitor or some other type of helpful tool you wear like a Fitbit, applwatch, etc. Until you get another device, I'd err on the side of MFP. Just my opinion though.
  • blambo61
    blambo61 Posts: 4,372 Member
    Options
    MPF also gives estimates. Not sure which are the most accurate.
  • Brendalea69
    edited June 2017
    Options
    How disappointing :/
  • arguablysamson
    arguablysamson Posts: 1,706 Member
    Options
    I think MFP adjusts it for your body weight, so it may be less than posted on a treadmill, which are the more general numbers.
  • Brendalea69
    Options
    Thanks Everyone... I'm just going to use the MFP calculator and disregard what it says on my treadmill, oh well I guess I'll just be eating less :p
  • tlblanksfit
    tlblanksfit Posts: 1,573 Member
    Options
    Does your treadmill have where you can input your your height, weight and gender? If it does and the numbers are up to date, then it may be accurate.
  • Brendalea69
    Options
    No it doesn't but my next one will for sure :/
  • minigrrll
    minigrrll Posts: 1,590 Member
    Options
    Like Sandy mentioned, a fitness tracker with a heart rate monitor (there are a lot of optical sensor ones now that get the HR from your wrist) would probably be the best for estimating calories. I have a treadmill desk, so I walk when I work (for an hour or two each day, anyway) and put my fitness tracker on my ankle - though if you are just walking/running it should work fine on your wrist.