Is it worth my efforts, if I can’t keep to keto-carb level?

Options
huango
huango Posts: 1,007 Member
Is it worth my efforts, if I can’t keep to keto-carb level?

So I aim for keto, in terms of ~20g net carbs.
Then I allow myself more carbs for most kinds of veggies, in large servings:
- Cabbage
- lettuce
- arugula
- cucumber
- sweet peppers
- cherry tomato
- green beans
- broccoli
(kinda like the Fighter Diet: fill up on high volume)

I’m trying to do this long-term, and I feel like the Keto-diet is too limiting.
I’m already cutting out 98% of all fruit, which I love more than ice cream.

I like to eat a lot (quantity) for such a short person.
So I want to fill up on veggies, instead of what I really want: potato chips, crunchy fried chicken, chocolate covered pretzels, and all that crappy stuff available out there.

Since I’m not doing truly keto (because I can’t get my fat high enough without increasing my carbs), I am still dealing with cravings.

-->> My question is whether it is I am wasting my effort with going lower-carb, if I’m not truly hitting ketosis?
The lower carb diet does seem to help me not eat over my calories
(most of the time, since I’m not finishing up a whole bag of kettlecorn popcorn).

appreciate your feedback since I know many of you are successful with keto long-term,
Thank you,
Amanda

-

Side note:
I volunteered at a fundraiser yesterday and one of the vendors gave me fresh kettlecorn popcorn, which is one of my top weaknesses. I was able to bring it home to my family and not have any.

Another vendor gave away 2-3 fresh oven-fire pizzas, and we were all starving, having worked almost 8hours without food, but I was able to drink my protein shake and head home for a dinner of chicken and salad.

Replies

• 1thankful_momma
    1thankful_momma Posts: 298 Member
    Options
    I second above statements
  • JohnnyLowCarb
    JohnnyLowCarb Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    If you stay within your calorie goal you don't have to be keto or low carb. These are simply types of way of eating that people gravitate toward to lose weight or maintain. They choose this woe because they can stick with it and reach their goals. If it is too restrictive for you find an alternate method.
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
    It's worth your time to continue on what appears (from your post) to be a way of eating that includes whole foods, higher than keto levels of carbs (if you find keto levels restrictive) and avoidance of "junk"/processed foods...if that is how you want to eat, it enables you to lose pounds if needed, allows for maintaining goal weight, doesn't cause cravings and keeps you satiated. Go for it!

As mentioned by most above: you do not have to be in ketosis to lose/maintain weight.

Have you made that trip to...was it somewhere in Asia??...that you mentioned months ago or is it still on the calendar? How did you do with changes in foods and wanting to enjoy and try the variety being offered? I think that was you who was going. Sorry if I have the wrong person. B)
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    Another vendor gave away 2-3 fresh oven-fire pizzas, and we were all starving, having worked almost 8hours without food, but I was able to drink my protein shake and head home for a dinner of chicken and salad.

Missed opportunity -- eat the toppings. Fat, protein, veggie carbs, without blowing your carb count way out of the water with the bread.
    (because I can’t get my fat high enough without increasing my carbs),

Omelets with spinach and peppers and cheese and sausage. Butter on the broccoli. Cream or oil based dressings on your salad. Skin on your chicken (or trade the chicken in for pork, beef, lamb, etc). Make that protein shake with whole milk or half and half (especially if it's your only food when you're on your feet all day at an event).

Other than that, odds are you're just dealing with the learning curve. Stick with it, it'll take some time to work things out.

Share with us what you are eating and we should be able to help you tweak it.
  • cstehansen
    cstehansen Posts: 1,984 Member
    Options
    The single most important thing is the quality of the food. By that I mean real food versus the stuff that comes in a box or bag (i.e. chips, bread, crackers, cookies, etc.). If you do this, you will almost certainly be low carb by default - not necessarily keto.

I completely understand the volume eating. I am not short, but I have always been a volume eater. When that was pizza buffets, it was not so good.

As for having enough fat, I also understand. Everyone is different, but protein is not as satiating for me as fat, so volume becomes an issue. One way I have incorporated more fat and more volume is celery with pimento cheese. I found some pimento cheese at Sam's Club that is 12g fat, 4g protein and 0g carb (in reality it is not 0, but less than 1) per 2 tablespoons. Celery provides some bulk, and the pimento cheese provides the fat. This also helps with the desire for crunchy that it sounds like you want. I think I may try replacing the celery with some of what you mentioned since that sounds like it could be good as well (in particular cucumber and broccoli).

The SAD is 50-65% carb. If you eat real food and not all the bread, cereal, pasta, etc., even adding as much of what you listed as you can stomach, it would be hard to get above 30-35% carb - at least in terms of net carbs since all those items have a fair amount of fiber in them. I am guessing the quantities of these you are eating would keep you even below that.

It is the sugar and processed carbs which cause the issues with insulin spiking leading to weight gain/retention. Eating raw most veggies will not cause any issue in this regard.
  • GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    I have been a pizza scraper for over two years now. :)

For the last couple years I try to keep a supply of nuts in the car/office so when I get caught with only bad food choices I have sometime to grab. I do the same with tuna in olive oil.

Tried pumpkin seed for the first time the other day and they were AWESOME but I have not read how good they are health wise.
  • kirkor
    kirkor Posts: 2,530 Member
    Options
    Tried pumpkin seed for the first time the other day and they were AWESOME but I have not read how good they are health wise.

They have a pretty bad omega 6:omega 3 ratio

• GaleHawkins
    GaleHawkins Posts: 8,160 Member
    Options
    kirkor wrote: »

They have a pretty bad omega 6:omega 3 ratio

I will check that out.
    Thanks
  • Chena83
    Chena83 Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    @GaleHawkins I must first say, congratulate yourself for making it to this day this very moment of WOE because making the change from ANYTHING other than how we WERE eating (regaurdless of how many carbs you are currently eating) is an accomplishment all in itself. I have been on and off Keto for 3 years. This is the FIRST time I have went more than 9 days. Today is day 50. I have my days. For me....sticking to it is worth it because I am seeing REAL results. I have 5 kids and a husband who are ALL addicted to sugar. I just made them some peanut butter fudge and I did not touch it. I still have cravings only when I am low on sodium. I just completed my 1st 24 hour fast. It was a goal to see if I could and I DID. For me, again, sticking to it is worth it. I believe in energy and being guided. Only you and your energy know if it is worth it to stick to it. I know that you can do this. As in life we have good days and eeeee days so will our eating. I would HIGHYLY reccomend you make sure you are taking ALL, or most, of the suppliments needed to help your body with this new way of metabolizing.

Girl. ..you have this. Only you honestly know the answer to your question about is it worth it. If you stick to it, you will not be alone. Look at your wondeful friends who are helping you now. We got you girl and we will be here with you in your journey. YOU GOT THIS.
  • nvmomketo
    nvmomketo Posts: 12,019 Member
    Options
    You are eating good quality foods. Unless you need to be in ketosis for something, or lower carb for metabolic reasons, I wouldn't worry about it.

There are health benefits to low carb. If you feel good doing it, I would continue.

If your cravings continue, you may want to lower your carbs as an experiment but I would first raise your salt. Low electrolytes can feel like food cravings. Unless you are getting 3000-5000mg of sodium per day, you may have low electrolytes.

Good luck! :)
  • kpk54
    kpk54 Posts: 4,474 Member
    Options
  • dasher602014
    dasher602014 Posts: 1,992 Member
    Options
    And back to keto or low carb, I found this article helpful too.

http://www.tuitnutrition.com/2016/01/dont-be-a-ketard1.html

(Your photos are beautiful, thanks for posting!)
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    kpk54 wrote: »

The only way I'd be able to get my H up there would be in an urn.
    Come to think of it, I wouldn't be uber-keen either.....
  • AlexandraCarlyle
    AlexandraCarlyle Posts: 1,603 Member
    Options
    I'd be slightly more keen on this.

But only slightly....